News   Jul 05, 2024
 276     4 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 300     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 399     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Shame that they've deferred Sheppard East. Now that Infrastructure Ontario seems to have gotten the hang of tendering this type of project, it could have been done next. Though with the Scarborough subway extension and SmartTrack plans seeming to take form, I'm seeing less obstacles to that one, other than petty politics.

Do you trust the province's official excuse that Sheppard was delayed due to cash-flow problems and difficulty of trying to do too many big projects at once? I'm honestly having a real hard time believing that. I think it has almost everything to do with Scarborough councillors and MPs who want to kill the LRT in order to prop up their pipe dream of getting a subway on Sheppard.

I get the feeling it was delayed partially due to local opposition, and partially because they are unsure of how the interchange with the Scarborough subway will work. There will presumably be an underground station for a good connection at McCowan, but that needs to be designed, and the Sheppard LRT can't be operating before the subway opens in a scenario like that.

Do you trust the province's official excuse that Sheppard was delayed due to cash-flow problems.

I completely believe cash flow issues delayed it. And @innsertnamehere is right, the SSE interface would have been another contributing factor

And of course, political motivations would've been another reason on top of the practical issues.

I saw on the presentation material that they had several "Underpass crossings" in the highway 400 area. The LRT will make this interchange a mess. I hope this means they are building several Underpass bridges to remove the conflicts.

I still do not like the idea of traversing two large parking lots to get to the LRT from Humber College. But to be honest, I guess it isn't all that much more of a hike than currently getting to the 36 stop at Humberline (depending where you are on the campus).

Its a hike most endure for the few years they are at college. Most college degrees are two years still? I am skeptical that the professors will be taking transit as many of them work off site as well and transit simply would be too slow to move them between their real world job and their teaching job.

There have been security issues at the Humber Campus, mostly at night. Hopefully any walking route to the LRT will be well lit and monitored.

- Paul

I still do not like the idea of traversing two large parking lots to get to the LRT from Humber College. But to be honest, I guess it isn't all that much more of a hike than currently getting to the 36 stop at Humberline (depending where you are on the campus).
I guess it might be a similar walk. There no reason to expect that spending $1B will make anything better. With the walk, we also don't expect to attract any new riders (teachers, admin) - we just want to give current riders a different type of vehicle to ride in.

Looks like they'll be moving the sidewalks into a tunnel, east of Weston Road.

Finch rail.jpg

Bicycles will also have to use the multi-use tunnel.

Attachments

• Finch rail.jpg
    Finch rail.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 1,015
I guess it might be a similar walk. There no reason to expect that spending $1B will make anything better. With the walk, we also don't expect to attract any new riders (teachers, admin) - we just want to give current riders a different type of vehicle to ride in.
And that's why in the end: I don't think the stop is in the ideal location, but I can live with it.

Its a hike most endure for the few years they are at college. Most college degrees are two years still? I am skeptical that the professors will be taking transit as many of them work off site as well and transit simply would be too slow to move them between their real world job and their teaching job.
At the tail end of a 4-year degree, I've had 3 or 4 instructors who take the TTC.

And that's why in the end: I don't think the stop is in the ideal location, but I can live with it.

At the tail end of a 4-year degree, I've had 3 or 4 instructors who take the TTC.

3 or 4 out of how many? Honestly I am curious because up until recently at least it was a requirement for Humber professors to work off site as well.

3 or 4 out of how many? Honestly I am curious because up until recently at least it was a requirement for Humber professors to work off site as well.
3 or 4 out of about 15.

Are there any plans on extending to roads to compisate the lost lanes to the LRT. It looks like there's plenty of opportunities north of Islington but some would require getting rid of trees or movement if possible

Given the number of sessional instructors obliged to take jobs at multiple campuses to make ends meet, I don't blame them for wanting the flexibility of a car.

Can someone shed light on why Humber College Station would have a 3rd track? Is this done to keep an extra LRV ready for service to help balance out bunching on the line? Any insight would be appreciated.

e0XEnrf.png

Back