News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I can't help but think that the problem then becomes a physics & materials problem then.

A larger overhang would require more materials, which may thus cause the shelter to be more massive and take up more space in the already-limited footprint of the platforms.

Consider the VIVA shelters, for instance. Yes, they are taller and cover some of the vehicle, but they are also considerably deeper on the platform to compensate. And yes, they've made that depth an enclosed shelter, but consider that they now also require a considerably wider platform.

Dan
Indeed it's very possible that it may likely have required some changes to the design/material to accommodate a larger overhang, but i'm also very sure this is something Metrolinx didnt even bother looking into unfortunately. Evidenced on how they plan on slapping virtually the same platform canopies on the Hurontario Line.

Indeed it's very possible that it may likely have required some changes to the design/material to accommodate a larger overhang, but i'm also very sure this is something Metrolinx didnt even bother looking into unfortunately. Evidenced on how they plan on slapping virtually the same platform canopies on the Hurontario Line.
Nov 30
133A3647.JPG

I really don't get the obsession with shelters for high frequency lines. If headways are 4 to 5 minutes average waits will be 2 to 2.5 minutes. No one is going to freeze or cook. Heated shelters are a more needed for poor souls who have to wait half an hour. You know, downtown streetcar patrons.

I really don't get the obsession with shelters for high frequency lines. If headways are 4 to 5 minutes average waits will be 2 to 2.5 minutes. No one is going to freeze or cook. Heated shelters are a more needed for poor souls who have to wait half an hour. You know, downtown streetcar patrons.
It’s still a Toronto transit line. There will evenings, weekends, holidays, budget cuts, vehicle bunching due to feckless supervision…

People in Toronto deserved a subway. The least we can do is offer heated enclosed shelters without print advertising but with benches and CP24 running 24hrs a day on big screens with free wifi for them to maybe be satisfied. Without these amenities it is an attack on the working class.

Last edited:
People in Toronto deserved a subway. The least we can do is offer heated enclosed shelters without print advertising but with benches and CP24 running 24hrs a day on big screens with free wifi for them to maybe be satisfied. Without these amenities it is an attack on the working class.
CP24 running with "closed captioning". With verbal and written crawl announcements of delays. Hence for bigger screens, since they will be displaying more information (for the short-sighted).

I know, from your post history, that you are being facetious, but you should make it more obvious, lest some Ford Nationite read this and actually think this is an acceptable line of thinking.

It’s still a Toronto transit line. There will evenings, weekends, holidays, budget cuts, vehicle bunching due to feckless supervision…
It feels like it'll get better as time goes on but its probably me just being optimistic.

Each individual project that gets completed, including the GO ones in Toronto, would make them want to take transit more serious since it'll be a much bigger deal than the half joke that it is today.

its funny and slightly sad how the platform at the maintenance facility on slide 15 is equipped better than all the other ones as it has an actual shelter portion to it 🤣

in terms of progress with the exception of the 2 terminal stations with systems "almost complete" it looks like everything else barring landscape is done and ready to go.
hopefully we will have the 3 month countdown announced in the next progress meeting

its funny and slightly sad how the platform at the maintenance facility on slide 15 is equipped better than all the other ones as it has an actual shelter portion to it 🤣
That shelter probably holds electrical equipment, no other reason for it. A shelter can be built it in this space because the LRVs aren’t boarded by users here. If it were a standard stop on the line the vehicle wouldn’t be able to open all doors meaning longer waits at the stop.

Even worse performance if the platform is only safely accessible on one end (true for many of the stops), then people need to file through two extra doors if they’re at the end of the vehicle furthest from the platform access. In this case riders will tend to board only from one end of the train.

in terms of progress with the exception of the 2 terminal stations with systems "almost complete" it looks like everything else barring landscape is done and ready to go.
hopefully we will have the 3 month countdown announced in the next progress meeting
Whenever they aim for a certain year, they always seem to aim for December 31st of that year.

Back