News   Apr 29, 2024
 92     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 764     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

so i guess everyone can agree that the finch line will open before line 5
Hurontario might for that matter as well. At least these lines are being built in a better way than Eglinton ever did, even if both lines are mostly surface level.

Hurontario might for that matter as well. At least these lines are being built in a better way than Eglinton ever did, even if both lines are mostly surface level.
Hurontario will open Q2/3 2025 at this time.

Hurontario is being built the best of the 3 for the surface area. Underground is a different story for Line 5

I really hope this project spurs mass densification all along Finch. It's really jarring seeing 50's bungalows and single storey strip plazas next to an LRT line.

From the density support perspective, the route of Finch LRT Phase 1 (west of Keele) is a decent place, but the currently missing Keele - Yonge segment is even more suitable. Much of that segment can be densified, except the short Dufferin - Torresdale stretch where it crosses West Don and ravines. No NIMBY opposition either; Keele to Dufferin is low-rise commercial, Torresdale to Yonge is partly mixed-use already and new multistoreys will not surprise anyone.

From the resident / rider perspective, LRT service of the same frequency as further west, but with a shorter ride to either of the 2 subway interchanges, means an even better transit experience.

I disagree about the potential of the Keele-Yonge stretch. The Dufferin-Yonge section is typical post-war suburb crap you can find anywhere in the former boroughs, and the biggest industrial lots between Keele and Dufferin depend on the oil pipeline that passes through the area and are therefore not easily moved.

I disagree about the potential of the Keele-Yonge stretch. The Dufferin-Yonge section is typical post-war suburb crap you can find anywhere in the former boroughs, and the biggest industrial lots between Keele and Dufferin depend on the oil pipeline that passes through the area and are therefore not easily moved.

I didn't realize the role of oil pipeline. But even with that, oil-handling industries are located north of Finch only, between Tangiers Rd and the point ~ 200 m east of Chesswood. So, minus 1 km on the north side, and no obstacles on the south side.

I do not see post-war suburbs as "crap", they are nice IMHO. But that's a matter of taste and isn't important.

Importantly, the stretch from Torresdale to Yonge isn't a solid SFH area, it already has multi-storeys mixed in here and there. Thus, if a developer buys out a group of SFHs and wants to build a highrise, there won't be too many NIMBYs up in arms trying to block that construction.

On a more general note, if the emphasis of city LRTs is on supporting local densification rather than supporting longer-range trips; then some routes not included in the old Transit City plan should be considered.

A number of N-S arterials are too narrow for dedicated LRT lanes in the south, but wide enough for that purpose in the north. Roughly, north of the 401, although that varies from one street to another.

For example, Bathurst St north of Wilson can accommodate a surface LRT. The south terminus of that LRT would connect to Wilson subway, probably a short ~ 1.5 km tunnel would be needed. The north terminus would be at the Promenade Mall, connecting to Viva Transitway and the local YRT hub. Bathurst has limited relevance for longer range travel, given its proximity to both Yonge subway and Allen Rd subway; but is sutable for a local LRT + higher density.

1686934643053.png

Attachments

• 1686934586062.png
    1686934586062.png
    359.8 KB · Views: 32
Never attempt to approach an LRV being tested..... are they contagious ?

Not even with food treats?

- Paul
LRVs may provide: mobility, transportation, freedom, happiness, anxiety, nervousness, collisions and death.

Ask your doctor if LRVs are right for you!

Never attempt to approach an LRV being tested..... are they contagious ?

Not even with food treats?

- Paul
I imagine its a worst case scenerio precaution. By definition, in testing means that they haven't proven that the system can run without a hitch, so worst case scenerio there is a risk that it can derail and hit some random person on the sidelines.

That being said, the system once implemented will have to deal with unruly and intrusive pedestrians who Jwalk and will likely walk and cross the tracks, so accounting for that could be useful.

I imagine its a worst case scenerio precaution. By definition, in testing means that they haven't proven that the system can run without a hitch, so worst case scenerio there is a risk that it can derail and hit some random person on the sidelines.

That being said, the system once implemented will have to deal with unruly and intrusive pedestrians who Jwalk and will likely walk and cross the tracks, so accounting for that could be useful.

There is a risk that people would think the LRT is already in service and attempt to board it. Or be unfamiliar with clearances or where it might turn out.

I just found the wording amusing.

- Paul

Back