News   Jul 16, 2024
 196     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Financial Crisis

It goes beyond just the mortgages on their books.

That they've been fired and we have corrected our practices is surely a good thing. It's not like our banks gave out tens of millions in bonus either this year. Some credit where credit is due please. The Canadians banks may not be perfect but right now they are damn closer than anyone else in the world.

Paul Krugman explains...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/o...l=1&adxnnlx=1236067413-7csSE7Sv1XgzL4D6VafoNQ

Today we know that subprime lending was only a small fraction of the problem. Even bad home loans in general were only part of what went wrong. We’re living in a world of troubled borrowers, ranging from shopping mall developers to European “miracle†economies. And new kinds of debt trouble just keep emerging

How did this global debt crisis happen? Why is it so widespread? The answer, I’d suggest, can be found in a speech Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman, gave four years ago. At the time, Mr. Bernanke was trying to be reassuring. But what he said then nonetheless foreshadowed the bust to come.

In the mid-1990s, he pointed out, the emerging economies of Asia had been major importers of capital, borrowing abroad to finance their development. But after the Asian financial crisis of 1997-98 (which seemed like a big deal at the time but looks trivial compared with what’s happening now), these countries began protecting themselves by amassing huge war chests of foreign assets, in effect exporting capital to the rest of the world.

The result was a world awash in cheap money, looking for somewhere to go.

Most of that money went to the United States — hence our giant trade deficit, because a trade deficit is the flip side of capital inflows. But as Mr. Bernanke correctly pointed out, money surged into other nations as well. In particular, a number of smaller European economies experienced capital inflows that, while much smaller in dollar terms than the flows into the United States, were much larger compared with the size of their economies.

Glen and Jade_Lee.

You two need together and figure out who's fault the Financial Crisis really is: the neo-con de-regulators or the Chinese. I expect a full report in the morning.

Finally today the prime minister speaks directly to the voting public about the current economy being experienced here in Canada. I wonder what Steve is going to say?

Nothing interesting it seems. But he did take the time to take pot shots at the opposition, then deride them for 'playing politics' by not giving him $3 billion to spend on pork.

There is a hugely disturbing story coming out how bad things got in the Banking sector in mid-sept.

On Sept, 11th 2008 in less then 2 hours 550 billion dollars were taken out of American banks....

The federal reserve had to act or face a disaster and then guaranteed savings of 250k...

If not experts predict that the banking sector could have collapsed in a few days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMu1mFao3w

Lots of poor people with very very very few rich people, no need to do the math there. No need to wonder who controls the purse strings.

Looks like our very own subprime mortgage problem is appearing out west. The wild west. The western thinking that America knows best is starting to bite them in their arses. I hope my western family is not hit hard. The Globe has been slowly exposing the story.
Nice connection between J. McNish and Conrad Black, how ironic. It appears that she has been digging up some good old fashion homegrown Canadian dirt and we should all appreciate her for what she does well.

Last edited:
It'll be fine as long as it is not centered in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary have gone boom before, they will go boom again - and the banks survived.

I think it was obvious from the beginning that both Vancouver and Calgary were in for large corrections.

We're also different in that most of our mortgages are recourse mortgages, which makes most people think twice about walking away.

Jade_lee is simply hoping for financial devastation so he/she can say 'Ha. That what Conservatives bring you'. Thankfully, we aren't going to end up with what's going on south of the border. Our banks are in better shape. Our governments have a good size stimulus that's designed to flow quickly. And our opposition parties are not trying to whittle down government spending during a recession. Those are much better reactions than the US.

I'd like to hope so, but part of me thinks that Stephen Harper's response to the bank crisis is like George Bush's response when he stepped onto that aircraft carrier with the "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" sign.

Back