News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 775     0 

Financial crisis? At least the world has good leaders

TO City of Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Argue it as you want but the top story today is basically a variation of "This is the worst global financial crisis in ___ years." Fill in the blank. Since the 70's? Since WWII? Since the Great Depression? Since _______________? Whatever.

Now, if this is such a serious global crisis then we will benefit from having the best leadership since the previous greatest crisis.

Who are the world's A-list leaders? Who are the leaders that have the edge when it comes to getting us back to good times?

There are 192 countries in the world, i.e. 192 member states in the United Nations.

Can we identify even 12 leaders of 192 that are of the calibre required at this time.

I can come up with 3.

1. Abhisit - Thailand
2. Rudd - Australia
3. Obama - USA

Tell me. Who are the others?

Can we come up with a dozen leaders that have what it takes to lead us out of current problems?

Identifying a "great leader" is a subjective thing, and I doubt you'll get much agreement. Also, "greatness" can generally only be determined in hindsight. In 20 years time, perhaps, we could look back and see which of today's leaders made a difference.

But most of all, I don't know if even the greatest of great leaders can fix this financial mess: even the most powerful leader, the president of the United States, has little actual ability to change the direction of free markets. The best they can do is tweak regulations, inject some public money, and try not to make things any worse than they already are. Obama is an intelligent person and I'm happy to see him elected, but the expectations on his shoulders at the moment are almost laughable. It's doubtful that any human could do what he is being asked to do under these circumstances.

It's far, far too early to anoint a current leader as "great". Obama has yet to earn this distinction. He does have the qualities you want in a leader during a financial crisis, but "great" should point to actual accomplishments.

1. Abhisit - Thailand

I guess it depends on whether you wear a yellow shirt or a red shirt :eek:

I have to admit, I thought he was ok - but I was really angered by a decision made on his watch recently (reversed I believe, after outcry).

"Industry Ministry on February 3 announced that 13 plants (neem, lemongrass, turmeric, ginger, galingal, African marigold, Siam weed or bitter bush, tea-seed cake, chilli, Chinese celery, ringworm bush, glory lily and stemona) were "dangerous substances" in pesticide production."

Trying to outlaw organic farming in favour of the chemical farm lobby?

Back