News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.1K     9 

Final poll before election

I'm not so sure. When the Conservatives inevitably try to push through things that they haven't campaigned on (and they really haven't campaigned on anything), Canadians might get peeved.

Oh come on, you can say many things about the Conservatives, but you can't claim they haven't campaigned on anything. The reason why they're doing so well (apart from Liberals' phenomenally incompetent campaign) is because they clearly spelled out what they're going to do, unlike Martin who's spewing out incoherent nonsense (can't this guy string a sentence together?) and endless fear-mongering.

endless fear-mongering.

you mean endless queer-mongering? ©

the conservatives discriminate against gays to obtain support while the liberals warn about the loss of gay rights to obtain support.

if the cons could just forget about this issue, we can move on to other things.

Actually the future is very volitile. The Liberals after defeat on Monday will be looking to completely rebuild.

The way I see it: The Tories if in a minority situation will seek to dissolve government at the point they can achieve majority. By keeping their social conservative agenda at bay and sticking to core centrist ideas in their platform will easily be able to achieve majority within the next year-and-a-half. Once they have majority status they will push unpopular legislation popular amongst their calgary school Alberta base. Their handling of domestic and foreign affairs will be widely unpopular and a rebuild Liberal party now far removed from the tainted Chretien era, will sweep them away four years later. Basically, if you tend towards the left of centre, socially progressive and in many senses urban agenda you might as well hibernate for the next 5-6 years on issues within the federal jursidiction.

Will the Tories be able to get reelected so easily? Perhaps after Martin is sent to the curb, and a new leader elected the Liberals will likely be contenders in the next election. A conservative majority at the very least seems unlikely to the max.

Keep in mind that 60% of this country is centre to left. The Conservatives are only really appealing to the centre right. I think they'd have a hard time winning a majority. Their poor showings in this and the past election demonstrate this.

Keep in mind that 60% of this country is centre to left.

If the Conservatives demonstrate that they can govern from the centre, and perhaps get a leader that has a wider appeal, then they should have no trouble obtaining a majority. Even this time around, I think they would have been in majority territory if they had a stronger leader.

Even this time around, I think they would have been in majority territory if they had a stronger leader.
If either party had a strong leader they would have been in majority territory. I have no doubt that if Chrétien was still leader that it would be a Liberal Majority or that if John Tory was leading the conservatives it would have been a Conservative majority.

But dont forget that the leader of parties are chosen by the members of each party. In the case of the Conservatives, Stephen Harper was chosen because a large base of Conservative members are looking for someone with a strong interest in ensuring that the values of the old Reform/Alliance are still represented. The Conservatives may have increased support among voters during this campaign, but before their sudden rise they were still a party who relied very heavily on in its traditional western base.

Yes maybe a more moderate leader would have given the Conservatives a better chance at a majority, but then for that too happen, the base itself would have to adopt a more moderate stance. For the Conservatives, they could not have done any better than Stephen Harper. Not only has he managed to convince enough Canadians that he is not an ultra right wing boogeyman, but he has also ensured that most of the platform of the Reform/Alliance has still been able to be make it in under the radar.

The Liberals, well, thats a different story. Their downfall seems to be more to do with arrogance than anything else.

Governing from the centre is what gave rise to Reform in the first place...

Back