1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 916     1 

Federal Liberals Gain One, Might Lose One

J

jamerinbow

Keith Martin, Conservative MP and former Alliance leadership contender against Stockwell Day, has announced that he is bolting from the Conservative Party of Canada and will run in the next election as a Liberal. The news is here:

www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/0...rtin040114

In the meantime, news stories are picking up reports that Shiela Copps, being challenged by a Martin loyalist for her own riding, is flirting with joining the NDP:

Sheila Copps keeping 'lines open' on possible switch to NDP

By JOAN BRYDEN

OTTAWA (CP) - Sheila Copps is being wooed to run for the New Democrats in the next federal election, if Prime Minister Paul Martin's Liberals dispense with her services in the Hamilton riding she's represented for 20 years.

The former cabinet minister and two-time federal leadership contender spoke Wednesday with NDP Leader Jack Layton and later refused to rule out the possibility of switching to the New Democrats. "I've always figured when a door closes another door opens, and I wouldn't rule anything out in politics," Copps said in an interview.

She said Layton called her to commiserate with her struggle to remain the Liberal candidate in her riding, where she faces a fierce nomination challenge.

"I've had lots of calls from lots of people, and I've had lots of calls from members of Parliament who are concerned about my situation," said Copps.

"That's why he (Layton) called. I thought it was very generous of him to call, and we had a good chat, and we just kind of agreed to keep lines of communication open."

It may benefit Paul Martin as well as Shiela if she leaves, I think. Consider the message that will be sent: the Liberal-Conservative dichotomy in this nation is gone, kaput. The new dichotomy is now NDP-Liberal. These are the only two parties that are relevant.

What does the new Conservative Party of Canada have to offer under this scenario. They're either Paul Martin wannabes or complete and utter foam-at-the-mouth loonies.

Either way, I think they're road kill.

...James

I tend to agree. While I don't much like Sheila, I disagree with Martin trying to eliminate her from caucus. He is becoming a little too autocratic.

"What does the new Conservative Party of Canada have to offer under this scenario. They're either Paul Martin wannabes or complete and utter foam-at-the-mouth loonies.

Either way, I think they're road kill."

True... but I'm sure they'll receive more votes than the NDP in the next election. Unfortunately, they're just as relevant if not more relevant than the NDP.

I think I'll stick to my "realistic" prediction:

Liberal 218
Conservative 40
BQ 25
NDP 25

I still think the following is possible:

Liberal 226
NDP 29
Conservative 28
BQ 25

...James

Do you really think the BQ could retain so many in the face of Martin? Martin is hugely popular in Quebec and the BQ have no mandate.

let's conjecture about seats, shall we?

ndp takes 40 at least

I've taken the middle ground between some people I know. A friend of mine is pretty sure the BQ won't get more than 18, whereas another points out that the BQ are only 4% back from their 2000 performance. And the Liberals, not the PQ, are in power in Quebec City. He thinks the BQ might make gains.

So, I've compromised and said 25. The BQ are dying, but they're far from dead.

...James

Paul Martin's backers have made a list of progressive MPs that they want purged to make way for right-wing Martin lovers. If the purges are successful, I'd like to see the NDP pick up some of these members. The left wing of the Liberals now seems irrelevant, since most of these people were overlooked by Martin, and many are paying the price of not being fully enthusiastic about Martin's leadership bid.

Yawwwwwn@SheilaCopps. I'm glad Martin made the right move and ditched her.

c'mon spmarshall. I still haven't seen this sharp turn to the right by the Martin government. I don't think they're getting rid of anyone who's progressive... perhaps only those far off to the left.

The Globe and Mail published the hit list of MPs who didn't back Martin for purging. There were nearly 20 from Ontario. Most were on the centre-left or left end on the Liberal Party.

Ditching the bulk of the Chretien cabinet was the best move that Martin could make. Out with the old, and in with the new. The Chretien gov't wasted billions during their reign. From the $480 million in penalties on Day 1 with the EH-101 helicopter fiasco... to the over $1 Billion blown on the gun registry... (and the billions wasted on all the other crap in between) Chretien and his ego has cost us a bundle.

Martin has balls. He's not a yes man. And he doesn't pander to all the squeaky wheels out there. He has my vote. Sheila-The-Sore-Loser-Copps and the rest of the Rat Pack can keep crying their crocodile tears. The voting public doesn't give a crap.

What I find more interesting is who's heading the other way. Over the past two months, the Liberals have gained:

BQ MP Robert Lanctot
Conservative MP Scott Brison
Conservative MP (and former Alliance leadership candidate) Keith Martin.

True, we don't have the loony social conservative set here (thank God!) but this is plenty enough evidence to show that Martin is dealing from the right side of the deck, and the Conservative Party of Canada is now completely irrelevant.

...James

I think its more like Right Wing in Power... and Extremists leading the opposition.

My prediction for the new Conservative party's seats in the next election - They'll lose all current PC seats, and retain most of the current Alliance seats.

Back