News   May 03, 2024
 992     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 603     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 289     0 

Fat Laden Favourites? - Top 5 Artery Cloggers

Just bumping this thread to add a fat laden favorite that I recently discovered:

The Pork Gyro from Folia Grill on Pape Ave.

folia-011.jpg

folia-021.jpg

folia-019.jpg

image credits: "If looks could fill" food blog http://iflookscouldfill.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/folia-grill/folia-018/

The pita is jam-packed with a massive amount of Pork and freshly made toppings. Probably the best Gyro in the city and its only $5.25!

Here is a link to their website. They are at Pape & Cosburn. I haven't had a chance to try their other menu items but everything on the menu looks equally amazing.

http://www.foliagrill.com/index.htm

Check out the glowing reviews on Chowhound :

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/834203

Last edited:
Aaaaaand this is why I started the thread. Thanks for that post Peepers! We need more food photos for sure.

Heres one from my vault:
CNE Ribfest. Nuff said

f8aRE.jpg

You know those nights where you actually feel pity for your toilet - as if it was aware of what you were doing to it? That was one of those nights.

Great Burger Kitchen

Their burgers are epic. They make a hell of a grilled chicken burger too. I actually took the streetcar from Peter and King to go to the Church and Front location during lunch. That's just how good they are.

20100421%20-%20Great%20Burger%20Kitchen%20burger.jpg

What about a slamburger from Denny's? Bacon, Cheese, Hashbrowns, Egg, Beef pattie - mmmm...so good, but oh so bad!

slamburger-yummy.jpg

Peepers, that gyro looks yummy! I usually go to Messini on Danforth, but will have to check out the Folia Grill.

Messini gyro -
taste-of-the-danforth-messini-gyro.jpg

Aaaaaand this is why I started the thread. Thanks for that post Peepers! We need more food photos for sure.

Heres one from my vault:
CNE Ribfest. Nuff said

You know those nights where you actually feel pity for your toilet - as if it was aware of what you were doing to it? That was one of those nights.

becareful with those pork ribs ... still looks pink to me and pork is one item you don't want to eat slightly on the rare side.

becareful with those pork ribs ... still looks pink to me and pork is one item you don't want to eat slightly on the rare side.

Why? I eat all my pork still a little pink. That's also how I have had it srved to me in restaurants.

I ate those ribs in August and it looks like nothing happened. Chicken is the one item you don't want to eat on the rare side. Pork is often eaten pink: think bacon, ham, pancetta, prosciutto - even pork sausage is often pink inside. Although there are a lot of risks from rare pork, they are far outweighed by the long term health risks involved in eating stuff like this all the time - and none of those have to do with how well done the meat is

Hope to see more food pics from you all! If I see any vegetables you are in trouble!

I ate those ribs in August and it looks like nothing happened. Chicken is the one item you don't want to eat on the rare side. Pork is often eaten pink: think bacon, ham, pancetta, prosciutto - even pork sausage is often pink inside. Although there are a lot of risks from rare pork, they are far outweighed by the long term health risks involved in eating stuff like this all the time - and none of those have to do with how well done the meat is

Hope to see more food pics from you all! If I see any vegetables you are in trouble!

Those items are actually all fully cooked or cured, it's the added nitrates that keep them looking nice and pink; without them bacon, ham and so on would be an unappetizing brownish grey colour. Don't be fooled by the "natural" bacons and cured meats either, the "magic" ingredient is celery extract (check the ingredients) which is very high in naturally occurring nitrates.

That said, I love bacon and other cured ham specialities, so a few nitrates aren't going to keep me away.

Those items are actually all fully cooked or cured, it's the added nitrates that keep them looking nice and pink; without them bacon, ham and so on would be an unappetizing brownish grey colour. Don't be fooled by the "natural" bacons and cured meats either, the "magic" ingredient is celery extract (check the ingredients) which is very high in naturally occurring nitrates.

Very interesting.

That said, I love bacon and other cured ham specialities, so a few nitrates aren't going to keep me away.

Me too, and that is why this thread needs to exist. Medium-length life of deliciousness > Long life of tofu and kale

Some of these have already been mentioned, but my rundown of favourite fat laden spots:

Burger's Priest (self explanatory)
Holy Chuck (burgers)
Black Camel (brisket, pulled, etc)
Leslieville Pumps (brisket, pulled pork)
Paulette's Donuts and Fried Chicken (self explanatory)
Glory Hole Donuts (interesting flavours)
Banh Mi Boys (pork belly banh mi or meatball, quite inexpensive for TO standards)
Porchetta and Co (excellent porchetta sandwiches)
North of Brooklyn Pizza (thin crust pizza by the slice, whole pies are good value)
The Stockyards (BBQ)
Harlem (chicken and waffles)
Drake Hotel (chicken and waffles)
Poutini's House of Poutine (I like it better than Smoke's, but that's just me)

I like your breakdown. There are a few on that list I have yet to try. Poutini's has really good fries but I find their gravy a bit on the bland side, though I only went once so it could have just been an under-seasoned batch. I have had the chicken and waffles from Harlem and was quite impressed. Their chili-cilantro syrup is a great spin. How does The Drake compare?

Dangerous Dan's all-time favourite:
The Quadruple C - Colossal Colon Clogger Combo. A 24oz burger topped with 2 eggs, plus 1/4 pound of bacon and a 1/4 pound of cheese. Served with small poutine and a large shake. This combo is $24.45. I'm a big fan of The De Niro breaded chicken sandwich....yumm.

I like your breakdown. There are a few on that list I have yet to try. Poutini's has really good fries but I find their gravy a bit on the bland side, though I only went once so it could have just been an under-seasoned batch. I have had the chicken and waffles from Harlem and was quite impressed. Their chili-cilantro syrup is a great spin. How does The Drake compare?

Harlem probably still wins, but Drake is always versatile for brunch and it's been a staple of then menu (as well as the burger) for quite some time. Waffle is savoury with fried chicken and a cherry compote type sauce. Really nice.

There are a lot more places I feel like could be mentioned but this thread seems more like causal/quick service so we maye an updated best restaurant thread should pop up - but it's a lot easier said than done as a ton of restaurants have opened in the last 1.5 years, it's actually quite difficult (a nice problem to have I guess living in the big city) keeping up.

Also on the subject of food trucks, I've tried them all and hands down Food Cabbie is my favourite. And of the cupcake trucks, I like Curbside Bliss the best.

Have to go with The Stockyards as the best for burgers and fried chicken.

We've been to Burger's Priest on Queen E. three times but they've never managed to cook our burgers properly. Ordered them medium rare but they were either raw or well done each time. We won't be going back.

The Rude Boy on Roncesvalles also has good burgers. Monday $5 burger specials I believe.

Back