News   Jul 16, 2024
 430     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 537     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Fare evasion on the TTC...

How would that even be possible?! They don't check proof of age before issuing cards?

The card may have been validated against someone else’s id. Trafficking in fare media is not unknown.

It would not be a surprise if this was widely practiced on campus either. If university students were not above bending the rules on seemingly harmless prohibitions, the air quality in the average dorm would have been a lot better over the past few decades.

- Paul

I find all this noise about people not paying because they can't afford the fares a bunch of baloney. Sure there are people who can't genuinely afford the fares and that needs to be addressed. There are many others who can afford to pay and aren't paying because they feel they can get away with it. Now with Presto and POP its much easier than before. I know people who can afford the fares and they dont bother paying when they go on the streetcars even though they have the money. When people can get away with things, they will take advantage. When I was younger in high school, there used to be people who printed fake tickets and sell them cheaper than you would buy a student ticket. How are is not paying any different from that or using a child's presto card when you are clearly not a child. It's like me going into a store and stealing something and justifying that its ok because I cannot afford it. I used to use the TTC before but not as much since I have to drive for my job as a community nurse but if I speed the police can stop me and give me a ticket. After couple of speeding tickets, I learned my lesson and now am more watchful of my speed. With better enforcement and maybe even steeper fines, it will teach these thieves to start paying.

How would that even be possible?! They don't check proof of age before issuing cards?
People sell them or you just need someone with a child to get you one. The TTC only has themselves to blame for such a stupid move. They didn't think people would realize that cards can be set to child and there is zero indication of how much money is charged. They still beep on buses like a post-secondary card. Being free, everyone wasn't an unlimited free ride card!

One buses I often see regular adults tapping concession cards. The only legitimate way is if they are post-secondary students. Otherwise they could be fare evading with a student/senior or child card that only themselves know. It's one dumb thing that TTC did by not displaying the deducted amount.

They really need to get rid of this child card. Don't make it another colour as Presto cards can be tapped through wallets and handbags. When asked to produce the card, they can just take out a different card.Otherwise the readers need to indicate with flashing bright white to indicated this person is getting a free ride. That isn't possible with the current readers so TTC/ML failed and need to spend a lot of money to install new readers. Plus that won't work if there is zero enforcement.

They should never have gotten ride of those full height secondary turnstile nor the turnstiles themselves. There is a reason why NYC has full height turnstile at all entrances. They should only install accessibility gates in front of the customer service agent. They entire Presto system the TTC implemented are designed to be cheated and now they just want to harass regular paying customers for their stupidity.

From Ben Spurr:

Ben Spurr
TTC presentation says that up to 89 per cent of *all* taps using a Presto child cards could be fraudulent, given patterns in data. For one thing, the appear to be a lot of children under 12 attending York University

AoD
This doesn't make any sense when TTC is free for under 12 year-olds and children are not required to have a Presto card at all.

Only saw it on the Toronto Sun. It wasn't even a fare enforcement issue. The man was causing a disturbance and a few passengers reported him. They asked him to leave the train and he refused.

For once, the Toronto Sun gets something right.
As i would have thought had happened. Wouldn't expect any kind of retraction or apologies until the full video gets released.

They put out child presto cards so kids could get through the fare gates.

From link.

How to set a Child, Youth, or Senior PRESTO Fare Type
To set your fare type to your PRESTO card, visit any Shoppers Drug Mart or one of your transit agency's Customer Service Outlets. Visit your local transit agency's website for specific fare and eligibility information.

Fare Type Eligibility

Child
  • 6-12 years of age (inclusive)
  • Proof of age required

Student/Youth
  • 13-19 years of age (inclusive)
  • Photo ID with date of birth required

Post-secondary student
  • Enrolled as a full-time student
  • Proof of enrollment (student card) required

Adult
  • Default fare type

Senior
  • 65 years of age or older
  • Photo ID with date of birth required

The card may have been validated against someone else’s id. Trafficking in fare media is not unknown.

It would not be a surprise if this was widely practiced on campus either. If university students were not above bending the rules on seemingly harmless prohibitions, the air quality in the average dorm would have been a lot better over the past few decades.

- Paul

There is a relatively easy solution to this.

One of the many data fields that is set up in the Presto backend is a "date of birth" field. For whatever reason, this is not used.

Dan

EQhS_agXYAQIN-y

From link.

There is a relatively easy solution to this.

One of the many data fields that is set up in the Presto backend is a "date of birth" field. For whatever reason, this is not used.

Dan

I was asked for my DOB when my Presto card was set up as a Senior when I turned 65 recently, but no ID was requested. But then I probably looked so ancient to the agent that the issue was moot ;-)

- Paul

Back