News   Jul 17, 2024
 390     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 589     0 

Extending Hwy 400 South

This is an internet message forum. Boneheads lurk here.

Honestly; guys like hawc make even Rob Ford look like Mr. Sensitivity. Laughing-stock scheming like this would probably be hounded down to unanimous "anti" votes at Council a la the Doug Ford waterfront plan...

That's not satire is it?
Looks like a troll to me ... seems to be taking the most contrary position possible in every thread. In the transportation threads he promotes the complete destruction of the city. In the thread on would replace Ford, he takes the position that he fully supports everything Ford has done. In discussing vehicle tax he is indignant that anyone could possible suggest having a tax that would cover even a portion of the cost of providing city services to vehicles, let alone fund madcap schemes like this.

Looks like a troll to me ... seems to be taking the most contrary position possible in every thread. In the transportation threads he promotes the complete destruction of the city. In the thread on would replace Ford, he takes the position that he fully supports everything Ford has done. In discussing vehicle tax he is indignant that anyone could possible suggest having a tax that would cover even a portion of the cost of providing city services to vehicles, let alone fund madcap schemes like this.

So... anyone that takes a position opposite to you is a troll? I meant what I said about Rob Ford and vehicle taxes. I'm sorry if you disagree. Doesn't make me a troll anymore than it makes you a troll. Live and let live. I think it's refreshing to have a contrarian position in a thread.

Hawc, are...are you feeling alright?

I'm obviously teasing with this one, but it would make things kind of interesting.

It is fascinating to me that there haven't been any new highway initiatives in Metro Toronto in what 50 years?

Something even more controversial would be to run an expressway down the Humber Valley. Too close to the 427 though I suppose.

So... anyone that takes a position opposite to you is a troll?
Good grief no ... most people here have taken positions opposite to me ... and almost none are trolls.

You've since noted you were trolling about this ... so why you challenge me I don't know ...

Satire not trolling.
When the satire isn't clear, it's trolling. It almost looked like you were serious in your comments that you supported everything that Ford had done!

I've nothing against trolling, if done well. But they way it was done, merely made you look like you were even supporting his bigotry and criminal acts.

nfitz, if hawc supports everything Rob Ford has done, that is his opinion. He's not trolling.

I'm obviously teasing with this one, but it would make things kind of interesting.

It is fascinating to me that there haven't been any new highway initiatives in Metro Toronto in what 50 years?

Something even more controversial would be to run an expressway down the Humber Valley. Too close to the 427 though I suppose.

Well, most highways were expanded and widened in the past 50 years. 50 years ago was 1961, and while most of the highways existed in some form or the other, none of them (except maybe the Gardiner) resemble what they looked like in 1961.

There hasn't been any new freeway construction within the existing city of Toronto since the Allen was completed, and the reason for that is very simple. They're not wanted, we have a very different attitude (and rules) toward expropriation than we did back then, and property prices are so high that any kind of transportation project that can't use an existing right of way is going to be prohibitively expensive. This goes for rapid transit projects as well as freeway projects - forget the cost of demolishing poorer neighbourhoods for a freeway, it always amazes me how the city could cut a subway trench through Rosedale in the early 1950s.

nfitz, if hawc supports everything Rob Ford has done, that is his opinion. He's not trolling.
I thought he said above that it was satire. If it's his opinion then perhaps not trolling, but my assumption is that he's trolling us - it's hard to believe that anyone would publicly admit to being anything so vile as supporting everything that Ford had done - coupled with such totally bizarre suggestions as expanding the 400 into downtown, it's hard to take seriously.

Clearly no one would seriously extending new highways into downtown, unless they also so out-of-touch that they thought that playing up their mafia connections might help them become mayor.

Last edited:
it's hard to believe that anyone would publicly admit to being anything so vile - coupled with such totally bizarre suggestions as expanding the 400 into downtown, it's hard to take seriously.

Clearly no one would seriously extending new highways into downtown, unless they also so out-of-touch that they thought that playing up their mafia connections might help them become mayor.

I don't know if being a proponent of downtown freeway expansion is "vile" (unless you meant something else).

You could even read it another way: such a person might want to support growth downtown, and may recognize that since cars account for 85% of the trips taken in the region, you might as well make it easier for the majority of people to get downtown by increasing roadspace. This is a flaw in logic, since more than half of all trips taken to get downtown involve alternative modes, and the 85% traveling by car is primarily due to the inadequacy of transit options in the rest of the region. You can say that freeway expansion to downtown is logically flawed and an economic pipe dream, but I don't think you can say it's "vile".

I don't know if being a proponent of downtown freeway expansion is "vile" (unless you meant something else).
Good grief no ... odd, bizarre, dated, destructive, out-of-touch, blindered, but not vile. I was referring to the support of everything Ford had done.

You could even read it another way: such a person might want to support growth downtown, and may recognize that since cars account for 85% of the trips taken in the region, you might as well make it easier for the majority of people to get downtown by increasing roadspace. This is a flaw in logic, since more than half of all trips taken to get downtown involve alternative modes, and the 85% traveling by car is primarily due to the inadequacy of transit options in the rest of the region. You can say that freeway expansion to downtown is logically flawed and an economic pipe dream, but I don't think you can say it's "vile".

The expansion plans for GO is one remedy to bypass the highways and ease off some pressure on local transit. The only problem is that the expansion is taking too long. See this link for the plans.

The GO Transit Rail Improvement Program (GO TRIP) was a $1 billion-dollar expansion initiative funded by the federal and provincial governments and local municipalities through the Canada Strategic Infrastructure Fund.

It included 12 GO rail projects across the system and an expansion of the GO bus network. The projects included adding many kilometres of new track on the Lakeshore and Georgetown lines to allow for better train service, underpasses and overpasses to separate GO Train service from CPR and CN freight traffic on the Georgetown, Bradford, and Stouffville lines, and improvements that enabled GO Train service to extend north to Barrie.

It's hard to believe that anyone would publicly admit to being anything so vile as supporting everything that Ford had done.

Get over yourself.

Not everyone is going to agree with you.

Supporting the democratically elected mayor of Toronto doesn't make me 'vile'.

If you'd like to attack me personally send me a PM otherwise drop it.

Get over yourself.
Stop trolling.

Supporting the democratically elected mayor of Toronto doesn't make me 'vile'.
Supporting him is one thing. Saying that you support everything he has done though, is vile. Obvious this is a troll though ... as you certainly don't support all his anti-gay bigotry! So you wouldn't be vile ... not sure how you turned that into an attack against you - that wasn't the intent. It's not all about you ...

Your the one suggesting that we build a network of expressways into downtown. I don't know why you'd suggest destroying the city so ... you admitted it was a troll though ... so I have no idea what you are serious about or not.

Back