News   May 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.7K     10 

Express buses for Toronto

andrewpmk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Since Transit City is probably toast for the foreseeable future, Toronto needs a plan to improve transit to outlying areas of the city which are underserved by the subway system, and where travel times by bus are too slow to be competitive with the car because existing bus routes run along local streets making all regular stops. My proposal is to implement an expanded network of express buses from suburban subway terminals and running along expressways (primarily Highway 401), using coach style buses similar go to GO buses and operating primarily during rush hour. Such a network would be cheap to implement requiring no new infrastructure, could be implemented gradually as funding permits, and would actually be faster than Transit City for certain types of trips.

A fully built-out network could consist of the following lines. A few of these duplicate existing GO bus service, which in some cases might be reduced.

Buses from Sheppard-Yonge, stopping at Yorkdale, then:
- Along Highway 401, then turning north at Weston Road (running north to Steeles)
- Same to Kipling Avenue
- Non-stop to (Woodbine Centre)/(Woodbine Racetrack)/Humber College
- Non-stop to Pearson Airport
- Along 401 to 400, turning north on 400, then west on Finch (temporary during Spadina subway extension)
- Same with Steeles (temporary during Spadina extension)

Buses from Don Mills, along 401, then turning north on:
- Warden Avenue
- Kennedy Road

Buses from Don Mills, stopping at Scarborough Centre, then:
- North on McCowan Road
- North on Neilson Road
- Non-stop to University of Toronto at Scarborough

Hate to say it, but I think if we don't get any new funding sources to increase funding for transit, we may just have to do this.

1. PDF | 2009 Transit City Bus Plan

2. These sound like GO routes. Why should TTC operate them rather than GO?

3. For reference purposes, these are the current premium fare express TTC routes:
# 141 Downtown / Mt Pleasant Express
# 142 Downtown / Avenue Rd Express
# 143 Downtown / Beach Express
# 144 Downtown / Don Valley Express
# 145 Downtown / Humber Bay Express

"Why should TTC operate them rather than GO?"

Not an endorsement of this plan (I would prefer a LA 700-series style bus system), but GO has almost no interest whatsoever in serving passengers unless they are coming from the 905 and are headed downtown or to York U.

Honestly I cannot see how a bus could be reliable or efficient if it will be using Hwy 401.

Taking Highway 401 would still be much faster than running on local arterials such as Sheppard Avenue, even in rush hour. It might even be a bit faster than Transit City would be for some trips, because the express buses don't have to stop at intermediate stops or red lights.

Furthermore, the Transit City bus plan is not aimed at point-to-point express routes. Rather, it is only aimed at creating more "rapid" routes (i.e. buses running along major arterials and stopping every 2km, like 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket).

Funny, when I suggested something like this months ago I was flamed. Oh how the times have changed.

Here's the 10 major BRT routes that I'd implement, in order of importance:
  • Highway 27 - Long Branch GO Stn to Albion Centre via Sherway Gardens, Cloverdale Mall, Etobicoke Civic Centre, Dixon, Woodbine Live, Woodbine Centre, Humber College, Etobicoke General Hospital (NB- this would require a dedicated right-of-way down the median of the 427 with proper stations constructed en route)
  • Finch Crosstown - Humber College to Scarborough Town Centre via Albion Ctr, Gracedale, Emery GO Stn, Jane/Finch, Finch West Subway Stn, Branson Hospital, Yonge-Finch, Old Cummer GO Stn, Don Mills/Finch, Seneca College, Bridletowne Mall, Scarborough General Hospital, Woodside Square, Brown's Corners, Malvern Town Centre, Sheppard/Neilson
  • Highway 2 - Woodbine Subway Stn to Scarborough Town Centre via Danforth GO Stn, Shoppers World Danforth, Cliffside, Cliffcrest, Eglinton/Kingston, Guildwood GO Stn, Morningside Mall, Beechgrove, Highland Creek, UTSC, Ellesmere Campus, Centenary Hospital
  • Highway 401 East - NYCC to UTSC via Oriole GO Stn, Kennedy/401, Scarborough Town Ctr, Progress Campus, Ellesmere Campus; NYCC to Zoo via Sheppard/Neilson, Malvern Town Centre, Finch/Neilson, Finch/Morningside
  • DVP-Bayview Extension - Downtown Toronto to Downtown Markham via Woodbine/Hwy 7, Shops @Steeles Shopping Centre, Seneca College, Don Mills Subway Stn, [future infill stops at York Mills and Lawrence East], Wynford Hts/St Dennis, Queen/River Sts, DistilleryDistrict , Sherbourne/Front, Church/Front, Union Stn
  • Queensway-Gardiner-Lakeshore - Sherway Gardens to Woodbine Subway Stn via IKEA, Islington/Queensway, Humber Loop, Queen/Roncesvalles, Adelaide/Spadina, St Andrew Subway Stn, King Subway Stn, Distillery District, Portlands, Carlaw/Lakeshore, Leslie Lakeshore, Woodbine/Queen
  • Highway 401 West - NYCC to Pearson Int'l Airport via Yorkdale Mall/Subway Stn, Keele-401, Etobicoke North GO Stn, Terminal 1, Terminal 3
  • Eglinton East - Don Mills to Kingston Road via Wynford Hts, Eglinton Square, Eglinton Town Centre, Kennedy Subway Stn, Eglinton GO Stn, Markington Square
  • Markham-McCowan - Warden Subway Stn to Markville Mall via Markington, Cedarbrae, Centennial College, Sheppard/Markham, Sheppard/McCowan, Woodside Square, Alton Towers
  • Kipling-Islington - Humber College Lakeshore Campus to Woodbridge via Kipling/Queensway, Kipling Subway Stn, Kipling/Eglinton, Kipling/Dixon, Kipling/Ronson, Etobicoke North GO, Rexdale Mall, Elmhurst/Islington, Thinseltown, Gracedale, Humber Summit, Highway 7

The beauty of this plan is the low construction costs and low construction time meaning that a lot of rapid means of transit could be rolled out quickly to the public (within 24 months) and not be expected to cause a major spike in fare prices. I for one would prefer buses in dedicated ROWs to next to zilch.

The problem with implementing BRT or express buses in Toronto is the public image that buses always play second fiddle to the subway/RT (and LRT too, if Transit City gets built). the TTC has fueled this image by turning almost all surface routes into feeders to the subway system (and those that aren't feeders are premium fare express routes). I find merit in introducing point-to-point express bus service, but only if the routes actually work.

I have two ideas for promoting a BRT/express bus network in Toronto. One is to emulate Viva by using attractive, comfortable, high-capacity articulated buses or even double-deckers. Another is to restructure the fare system so that instead of paying a premium fare to take the express bus, the fare for the express bus should be cheaper than the subway. Either we can slap a premium fare for riding the subway, or if TTC finally uses Presto, introduce fare-by-distance for the subway but keep a flat fare for express buses. That way, the subway would be used by riders who are willing to pay more to get somewhere fast, while passengers who are not in a hurry (or want to pay less) would take the bus. It would really help with reducing overcrowding in the subway (and potentially pay for future transit projects).

... Another is to restructure the fare system so that instead of paying a premium fare to take the express bus, the fare for the express bus should be cheaper than the subway. Either we can slap a premium fare for riding the subway, or if TTC finally uses Presto, introduce fare-by-distance for the subway but keep a flat fare for express buses. That way, the subway would be used by riders who are willing to pay more to get somewhere fast, while passengers who are not in a hurry (or want to pay less) would take the bus. It would really help with reducing overcrowding in the subway (and potentially pay for future transit projects).

I can see a couple of problems with this approach:

1) Diverting riders off the outer sections of subway lines (Yonge north of Eglinton, Spadina north of Bloor, BD west of Keele and east of Pape) to buses is very inefficient. Those sections have lots of spare capacity, and the subway trains would continue to run anyway ... so, operating parallel express bus service would just add costs needlessly.

2) Diverting riders off the downtown part of the subway system during peak hours would be helpful ... if there was room on the surface to run large numbers of buses through downtown. But I can't imagine how they can fit into the narrow downtown streets.

Why the emphasis on "new, more comfortable buses"? I think that the success of the 100- and 200- series routes in Missiauga goes to show that if its fast and it works, then the people will come. I really dont think that the TTC has to go out and buy special buses just becuase Transit City may be delayed. I do, however, realize that TTC buses could use an improvement in comfort accross the system. New seats anyone?

I think that routes that resemble Mississaug's route 11 from Westwood mall would do just fine with normal buses. Serve a local area with a local, or express style route, but then use the highway to fastrack the trip to the subway. The problem with Toronto is the shear number of hubs that could served in this style. The TTC would have to carefully choose the correct areas to serve in this style. Create the '600-series' routes and run an intense marketing campaign. Marketing campaigns appear to be FAR cheaper to run than independent fleets of buses (Once again, see Mississauga; although this may change slightly come summer...). I wish more cities would do this. It is so much cheaper...

And there is no reason why TTC should be forcing people off of the subway and onto these buses. The subway makes a profit. Bus routes do not. Its simple. The more people on the subway, the better, as long as there's capacity for everyone. The buses could be used to supplment the subway, but why would the TTC make a source of profit (the subway), less profitable in favour of a bus route that will never be profitable? The subway should be the backbone of the system. Why do you think Mississauga Transit is trying to get an LRT in? They need a backbone; a trunk line. Thats one of the purposes of the subway. How is it then true that its bad to have all the surface routes connect to the subway.

Oh, and this is my first post over here. I have been looking in on the forum lately, and decided to post tonight... :)

The Mississauga 100 and 200 series buses are a farce. Only one - one! - runs during off peak periods, the 109 from Square One to Clarkson via Erindale College. The highest ridership routes - like 1, 19, force riders onto overcrowded, slow buses except during rush hours, where relatively infrequent limited-stop buses pick up some of the demand. Other major routes like Burnhamthorpe, Bloor, Erin Mills, Dixie, don't even offer this. Except for the 101/201 and the 102/202, I'd suspect MT is just trying to come up with routes based on "lines on a map" to move on to its busway.

Mississauga is hardly the model to follow. To make BRT-lite work (ie Viva, ie LA Rapid 700 series), Toronto will need a level of service superior than the meagre standards for 100 and 200 routes in Mississaga. This means express buses no less than every 10 minutes, running far more often than Monday to Friday for 6-8 hours during peak periods.

Toronto also doesn't have the bus aversion common elsewhere. Make a new express bus network attractive with high performance standards, decent marketing, considerable travel time improvement (which is possible with minimal infrastructure!), and more attractive waiting areas, and riders will flock.

Last edited:
The Mississauga 100 and 200 series buses are a farce. Only one - one! - runs during off peak periods, the 109 from Square One to Clarkson via Erindale College. The highest ridership routes - like 1, 19, force riders onto overcrowded, slow buses except during rush hours, where relatively infrequent limited-stop buses pick up some of the demand. Other major routes like Burnhamthorpe, Bloor, Erin Mills, Dixie, don't even offer this. Except for the 101/201 and the 102/202, I'd suspect MT is just trying to come up with routes based on "lines on a map" to move on to its busway.

Mississauga is hardly the model to follow. To make BRT-lite work (ie Viva, ie LA Rapid 700 series), Toronto will need a level of service superior than the meagre standards for 100 and 200 routes in Mississaga. This means express buses no less than every 10 minutes, running far more often than Monday to Friday for 6-8 hours during peak periods.

Toronto also doesn't have the bus aversion common elsewhere. Make a new express bus network attractive with high performance standards, decent marketing, considerable travel time improvement (which is possible with minimal infrastructure!), and more attractive waiting areas, and riders will flock.
The peak vs. off-peak argument has more to do with the fact that there simply is no off-peak ridership in the 905. If the ridership was there, the buses would run (hence the 110, not the 109). The students move to and through the university all day. Its not 9 and 5, like work (or peak periods, ironically).

And we must also be realistic. If TC has no funding, how would a Viva type system gain funding? Hell, even Viva itself is loosing funding this year. The reason I propose a system like the 100/200 series routes in Mississauga is because its cheap and effective, not the exact service model. You can have 10 minute headwayss *if it is neccessary*. To implement a Viva type service, you have to procure new vehicles. Now the whole thing is a year, and a whole wack of money behind. What MT did was develop a system of express routes that would build ridership until the busway is built. But they also made the services stick out to the public through marketing campaigns. The campaign prior to the launch of route 107 was intense, and first glance indications say it may have worked. Why wait for 'special stuff' before making improvements when you can improve it now at a fraction of the cost? And, does it suprise you that MT would develop routes to build ridership along what will be its east west trunk line? Is this not the point?

My point is to use what we have to improve service now, instead of waiting for something that may never arrive. Now, don't mistake this for a don't build anything mentallity. I would love to see TC built, along with a score of other TTC projects. But there's no money (blame who you wish). If there's no money for the large expenditures that are needed, then make smaller moves to improve service until the larger moves can be made. Is doing nothing a better idea??

And do keep in mind that TC is being phased, for what its worth. Most of the big stuff will probably get built. There only not going to build them all at the same time. I am hopeful that at least Eglinton will get the green light because its supposed to take the longest to complete.

Last edited:
The peak vs. off-peak argument has more to do with the fact that there simply is no off-peak ridership in the 905.

What the heck? That is one of the silliest things I've read. Have you ever been on the 19 on a Saturday, or at 1:30PM, or 10:30AM? Or rode Viva Yonge Street?

To implement a Viva type service, you have to procure new vehicles

Yes, you have to procure new vehicles if you want to add more service. Not just for Viva, but also like the Bork, Bork, Bork in Brampton, or even extra TTC "rocket routes". Even for rush-hourly half-useless express routes, where the buses sit in garages or in lots 90% of the time.

What MT did was develop a system of express routes that would build ridership until the busway is built.

Interesting how that busway then will be useless 18 hours a day Monday-Friday, and 24 hours a day on weekends based on MT's (and your) thinking.

Last edited:
The TTC should model more routes after the 190, which offers a noticeable difference in travel time even though it only overlaps the 85 for 5km and ends at STC 3km later. Even though most E branches are really lame improvements, some major arterials don't even have regular E service, let alone something a bit more differentiated than the 190 (something that tries to zoom along instead of fall back into the bus pelotons).

What's being talked about here, though, is more point-to-point express service and really only along the 401 as an extension of the Sheppard stubway. This is a good idea, in theory, not just because the subway isn't long enough but because there's so many big trip generators in that northern 416 belt near the 401/Sheppard/Finch, including most of the 416's malls and post-secondary institutions. A hurdle to running buses east of Don Mills is that Finch East already provides exceptional service and you're just not going to lure many people from Warden or McCowan to an unproven route that's rush hour only. You also risk cannibalizing the 190, which needs to be beefed up yet again, not slashed. A hurdle to running west of Yonge, of course, is 401 traffic. The 401 is typically clear as far east as Bayview and not always congested east of the Allen, but it's always unpredictable west of there. Unpredictable routes will not win over rush hour commuters unless there's no other alternate routes.

You don't always need to buy new vehicles to improve service if you're able to greatly speed the corridor up and get more round trips per day out of the buses you have. If the express/Rocket buses are a supplementary service and not something meant to replace all or part of an existing route, then you'll need to buy vehicles. By running along the 401, you still need to keep the 85 and the 190 and unless you lure thousands of riders off these routes, both the 85 and the 190 need to stay frequent. On Finch East, though, perhaps a Rocket route would replace some of the 39's service. Even if the 39 dropped to 4 minute headways to free up enough buses/drivers to try out a new Finch Rocket, that's still great service for the 'local' route. Overall ridership may not climb much because the Finch East bus already extracts most of the trips that non-rapid transit is gonna get out of the corridor, but if Rocket service can improve travel further, it should be done. The really ideal spots for express/Rocket service would be corridors like Jane, Steeles, Lawrence, etc....any long and semi-congested route that uses many buses in peak times should get rocket/express service.

Back