News   Jul 17, 2024
 931     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Exposed Concrete Ceilings

carturo15

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have noticed that most of the lofts in New York City come with a exposed concrete ceiling painted white, however this is not very popular in Toronto, most of the new condos in downtown Toronto are being built with exposed concrete ceilings. The only project that I've seen with exposed concrete painted white is Madison Lofts in Annex. How do you like the exposed concrete ceiling painted in white?

My last place at DNA had a white painted concrete ceiling and I plan to do the same to my next one, no concrete dust, you still retain the industrial-ish look, and it raises the ceiling height!

That's a good idea. I'm going to move into the Westside Gallery Lofts, and have concrete everything! So having a white ceiling is a nice break up. Do I still need to prime and everything? Or just paint?

If I am not wrong I think you need to use epoxy paint for concrete. You need to apply sealer and primer and then 2 or 3 thin coats of latex paint. Before painting you need to repair any cracks, holes or damage to the concrete ceiling

I've purchased at Westside Lofts and put in my agreement that they had to paint the walls and ceilings white - i think that this will look fabulous and really make the exposed stuff pop as well as the polished concrete floors that I am hoping to get done. I'll post pictures as soon as I get into it - hoping that they do it correctly and well!

you should visit the Westside thread and view the pics from previous PDI's. I don't think this project and the word fabulous should be used in the same sentence.

LOL. I am well aware - have been following that thread for the last year and a half. I went by the building yesterday and chatted with some people who have moved into their units - got to take a peek at some of the units inside, and some people in the Artscape section have painted their ceilings and put up additional drywall partitions to customize the space. Looks fabulous. I know that David Fleming's PDI photos and video are awful, but I've seen other PDI photos that are not too bad, and actually look pretty good. SO, having taken that all into account, IF they paint the way they have been contracted to do, it should look fabulous... now for the tile work... that's a different story. Who knows. Also, I just wanted to say that the Artscape side of the building gives it a really nice vibe - I went to an arts highschool and all art people are chatty and friendly, so, it's probably going to turn out ok. Knock on wood. THanks anyways...

Back