News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4.1K     5 

Exotic Pets?

Kitsune

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone care to explain Toronto's exotic pet laws in english? It seems some say they're allowed.. some they're not, and the city website is a grey murky area. I think I found something that can give my lab a high energy playmate finally without getting another lab.

I have a Lab too, what kind of exotic animal are you thinking of to pair him up with? Exotic pets seem to have dual coverage under both City of Toronto and the Provincial government, I don't understand it. If you can buy it from a proper pet store I'm sure it's legit, in fact that would probably be your best source of information, talk to someone at a Pet Smart. Also, consider longer walks. Labs love to walk and socialize with other people and dogs, plus it's great exercise! If you have a back yard or an off-leash park within a 20-30 minute walk, they're a great place to play ball with the dog, wear him out and have bonding time.

well see, thats the problem I have with my lab - she was overly spoiled by last winter, her first one. Now this winter she just yoinks on the leash hard and trys to run back into the building, and trying to walk her? Its turned into a giant headache. I would hate to see this dog if I still lived in Sudbury or Calgary... lol. Spring cant get here soon enough.

OK I get it, I've had two Labs, my current one turns 8 in May. A really cold winter like this sucks for walking a dog like a Lab as it's been so damn cold. Dress in layers so that your good and warm and try to get at least a brisk half hour walk in three times a day, keep plenty of small broken up treats in your pocket that you can get to quickly and of course baggies to pickup after them. Keep her leash in both hands; the loop in one hand and give her very little room to move from your side using your other hand but keep consistent control over her except when she goes to the bathroom. When she successfully walks along side of you for a period of time praise her and offer her up a small treat to reinforce that she's doing good. Labs are eager to please and learn real quick, treats reinforce good behavior - keep on it. Your also going through what sounds like the "terrible 2's" (with Labs, from about 1 year old 'til they're about 3) so be patient but firm. Your the boss or the "pack leader" as Cesar Millan would say, not her, so make sure she knows it. It goes without saying, never hit a dog (NOT saying you would ever do that!), they don't know why they are being hurt and distrust can set in quickly. With Labs the first 3 years can be a fair amount of work but let me tell you, you'll get 9 maybe 10 years of the best dog in the world after that and you'll be willing to do it all over again when you see what amazing dogs they are as they enter adulthood. If she's not spade get it done now unless you plan on breeding her. That helps settle dogs down a bit.
Don't get a second dog. That's double trouble, trust me, I've been there.

Back