News   Jul 19, 2024
 527     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 823     2 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

An evocative picture of lost, unbuilt, Toronto: the proposed Palace Hotel on King Street West, west of Simcoe, site of the original Upper Canada College, 1895:

palacehotel.gif

palace.gif

palacehotel2.gif

Thanks!

Another recent find (thanks to the Star Archives) was a mansion called Matheson Hall, which stood on the SE corner of Yonge and Gloucester:

mathesonhall1928.jpg

Caption: Matheson Hall, situated at the south-east corner of Yonge and Gloucester Sts., was once the home of the late Dr. Hugh Matheson. Matheson Hall was built in 1870. Last Published: 6/4/1928

gloucester-1.jpg

AMAZING FIND Charioteer!

It's interesting to see how this proposal could only make sense within the short window betrween the closing of UCC on King Street in 1891, and the subsequent development of the block as witnessed in the 1910 Goad (there would also be an overlap between the demolition of the old buildings and the construction of the Royal Alexandra Theatre between 1905 and 1907):

1890 Goad:

UCC-1.jpg

1910 Goad:

UCC2-1.jpg

UCC:

ucc4.jpg

ucc3.jpg

ucc5.jpg

Postcard of the Royal Alex, with the grounds of Government House across the street:

royal_alex_0040077.jpg

07_08_25_royal_alex_old.jpg

Last edited:
In Victorian times, the intersection of King and Simcoe was popularly referred to as "Salvation, Education, Legislation and Damnation" ... after the buildings located on each corner. Only one - Salvation - remains on the south east corner. Damnation referred to the tavern on the north east corner.

And now it's at the northwest corner, courtesy the Entertainment District in toto...

In Victorian times, the intersection of King and Simcoe was popularly referred to as "Salvation, Education, Legislation and Damnation" ... after the buildings located on each corner. Only one - Salvation - remains on the south east corner. Damnation referred to the tavern on the north east corner.

Oh, I Say! Damnation on the north east corner:

752f9dce.jpg

Legislation Corner: End of an Era: The last garden party

govhouse1911.jpg

Salvation Corner 1907:

simcoeking1907.jpg

Damnation and Salvation Corners 1930 (with a curious sign):

simcoeking2.jpg

Education Corner rebuilt 1927:

kingsimcoe1927.jpg

Legislation Corner: the old CP Building. Prior to its demolition for Roy Thompson Hall, Barton Myers proposed a scheme that would have retained the old building......

sicoesouthofking.jpg

Afterwards:

kingsimcoe.jpg

Last edited:
It's interesting to see how this proposal could only make sense within the short window betrween the closing of UCC on King Street in 1891, and the subsequent development of the block as witnessed in the 1910 Goad (there would also be an overlap between the demolition of the old buildings and the construction of the Royal Alexandra Theatre between 1905 and 1907):

ucc4.jpg

ucc3.jpg

I had no idea that UCC was there. that really puts that block of warehouses between Simcoe and John in perspective.

fa12bce2.jpg

In this photo you can see the last bit of the UCC complex on Adelaide looking towards Peter---a stable or garage, that escaped the wrecking crew.

e2f353c9.jpg

fdaf2958.png

I find the site of Government House to be a bit of a puzzle... I can’t for the life of me remember anything on that site growing up. It was always just a massive parking lot. I wonder if anything was built there between 1912, when Canadian National tore it down and 1980, when Roy Thomson got underway? Seems like a long time for a site of that size and importance to sit vacant. Maybe CN was using it all those years?

02804986.jpg

I find the site of Government House to be a bit of a puzzle... I can’t for the life of me remember anything on that site growing up. It was always just a massive parking lot. I wonder if anything was built there between 1912, when Canadian National tore it down and 1980, when Roy Thomson got underway? Seems like a long time for a site of that size and importance to sit vacant. Maybe CN was using it all those years?

Back in the '70s, I recall plenty of train tracks, and some sort of brick train sheds, in the blocks where RTH, Metro Hall and the CBC building were built a decade later.

This photo is from the 'Old Time Trains' website - and they have more.
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR_Toronto/TORONTO.htm
- the view from the TD Tower in 1966
king_st_xtd1966.jpg

Based on the following photos, it would appear that the CPR building was constructed between 1912 and 1915 and lasted until the late 70's/early 80's:

simcoe3.jpg

simcoe.jpg

simcoe2.jpg

Back