News   Jul 11, 2024
 185     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 542     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2.1K     2 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

thedeepend - Loved your idea for a book jacket!
Allow me to offer another version:

bookcover.jpg

nice! i love the amber colour....

this one looks like a book jacket for an unwritten early 20th century "Toronto noir" à la Caleb Carr's The Alienist....

1efa7715.gif

I have an image for the inevitable sequel book. I have been holding on to this photo for a long time, it's from March 22, 1938, of 89-93 Browning Avenue.

s0372_ss0072_it0130.jpg

I have an image for the inevitable sequel book. I have been holding on to this photo for a long time, it's from March 22, 1938, of 89-93 Browning Avenue.

s0372_ss0072_it0130.jpg

And finally in the third book the mysterious photographer is all alone. What could have happened to his assistant? (March 22, 1938 at 103 Browning Avenue)
s0372_ss0072_it0132.jpg

A pot-pourri of pics (and captions) from the Toronto Star archives:J

Wykeham Lodge:

Caption: Original caption: Historic Block to be wrecked. Above are photographs which show the buildings to be wrecked in the block bounded by Yonge, College, Bay and Buchanan Sts. Tenders for the wrecking have been called for by the owners, the T. Eaton Co., and these close at noon today. The pictures are of: . . . a birdseye view of the whole parcel, showing the College St. armouries, formerly Bishop Strachan school, and before that Wykeham Lodge, the residence of Lady J. B. Macaulay. . . Last Published: 7/11/1928
Release: NOT RELEASED
Photographer: Toronto Star Archives/GetStock.com

wykehamlodge1928.jpg

NW Corner of Bloor and Bay 1954:

Caption: A gay holiday spirit dominated the crowd which was content to line the curb and just watch. One little girl, standing with her parents, glanced impatiently along Bloor St. in both directions, and then asked her mother, "When does the parade start, Mommy?" Traffic inched along during the height of the parade giving autos' occupants a grandstand view. Models from Walter Thornton agency and other models here highlight Caption: Historic Toronto. Star Photo Last Published: 19540419
Photographer: Douglas Cronk/GetStock.com

NWbayBloor1954.jpg

The Ogilvie Building (SE corner of Bay and Wellington) 1922:

Caption: 1929/01/22 -- Over the week-end the Canadian Bank of Commerce took final steps in moving to new headquarters and today is doing business in the Ogilvie building, corner of Bay and Wellington Streets. The Ogilvie building will be temporary headquarters while the new building is being erected on the King-Jordan site.

Ogilvy1922.jpg

1927:

Caption: The Ogilvie building at the southeast corner of Bay and Wellington streets, purchased by the Canadian Bank of Commerce. Last Published: 9/13/1927

OgivlyBuildingBayWellington1927.jpg

King Street:

Caption: Canadian Wall Street. Photo shows what is recognized throughout Canada and the United States as "the Canadian Wall Street," for this is the King-Bay Street district of Toronto, Canada, where the financial-commerical-stock transactions of a nation are mainly handled. The tall structure (centre) is the head-office of the Canadian Bank of Commerce, 33 stories and the tallest building in the British Empire. The white building in the lower right-hand corner is that of the new Imperial Bank head-office. In the distance, top left-hand corner, is seen the head office of the Royal Bank of Canada. A small portion of Toronto Harbor is seen in the distance also.

king.jpg

Last edited:
Looking through the archival pictures of the Yonge subway construction, it's interesting to look at them from a purely aesthetic point-of-view, almost as an "intervention" into the normal state of affairs, like an art installation that went on too long.

yongeatsimpsons.jpg

yongedundas.jpg

yongecollege.jpg

a few other images of digging and inadvertent holes...

fa304842.jpg

4d1fdb5e.jpg

7c94f0db.jpg

ec887e77.jpg

ee684a25.jpg

051a67ab.jpg

A pot-pourri of pics (and captions) from the Toronto Star archives:J

Wykeham Lodge:

Caption: Original caption: Historic Block to be wrecked. Above are photographs which show the buildings to be wrecked in the block bounded by Yonge, College, Bay and Buchanan Sts. Tenders for the wrecking have been called for by the owners, the T. Eaton Co., and these close at noon today. The pictures are of: . . . a birdseye view of the whole parcel, showing the College St. armouries, formerly Bishop Strachan school, and before that Wykeham Lodge, the residence of Lady J. B. Macaulay. . . Last Published: 7/11/1928

wykehamlodge1928.jpg

Given the foppish/Dorothyfriendish heritage within Eatons College Street's general radius, the whole aura of utter decadent Grey Gardens-ish mystery about latter-day Wykeham Lodge must come off like, er...if that place survived in that fundamental form and state, it'd be the absolute epicentre of it all. As in, who needs 519 Church, etc...

these are quite beautiful i think, and full of extraordinary detail. the SE and NE corners of College and Bathurst in 1937. the drug storefront is a great example of Art Deco design and would have been extremely au courant at the time. i love the round portal window, and the circular letter forms.

i've been trying to think of what colour the vitrolite would have been. it's likely to have been either mint green/black; pale yellow/black; light blue/black or less likely pink/black. its also possible there was a third colour, in all likelihood red. whatever it was it would have made a dramatic impression on the streetscape.

00da8a99.jpg

8d8eb855.jpg

and from a little bit west of there on College, just west of Euclid Ave, in 1930.

cfdf668c.jpg

the drug storefront is a great example of Art Deco design and would have been extremely au courant at the time. i love the round portal window, and the circular letter forms.

i've been trying to think of what colour the vitrolite would have been. it's likely to have been either mint green/black; pale yellow/black; light blue/black or less likely pink/black. its also possible there was a third colour, in all likelihood red. whatever it was it would have made a dramatic impression on the streetscape.

00da8a99.jpg

And of course, the Reitmans logo maintained that kind of "hangman's S" until it was bowdlerized-through-makeover in the 1990s...

Interesting pic, deepend (particularly the placement of the bicycle.) Wonder what that building was on what seems to be the Clarke Institute site.

Back