News   Jun 14, 2024
 824     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Note here
2085200079.jpg

and, I *guess*, here
2085200033.jpg

Yup, the very first Mr. Sub.

My Vietnam deserter friend Ron claims he worked in the first Mr. Submarine - and that it was at Parliament and Gerrard. I can't find it right now, but didn't the obit for the founder of the chain, who died a few months ago, also refer to that as the location of the first one?

My Vietnam deserter friend Ron claims he worked in the first Mr. Submarine - and that it was at Parliament and Gerrard. I can't find it right now, but didn't the obit for the founder of the chain, who died a few months ago, also refer to that as the location of the first one?

shouldn't there be a plaque or something here?

db517cbf.png

http://www.mrsub.ca/default.asp?contentID=9

[excerpt]

“The two friends raised a total of $1500, took their idea of making fresh sandwiches and opened the first Mr.Submarine at 130 Yorkville Avenue. The response was overwhelming. Five months later the two founders opened a second Mr.Submarine.â€

ok--scratch the Parliament/Gerrard plaque. it needs to go here instead. i'm sure the owners wont mind.

cccd56a7.png

Unless we're confusing Pizza Pizza's beginnings at Parliament + Wellesley.

Interesting to consider the sub shop's early "all-hours hippie food provisioner" rep--I guess something to do with drug usage > ravenous appetites.

scooby-doo-and-shaggy-copy.jpg

A stereotype which even filtered into the mainstream about this time.

A bit of a different social scene: Yorkville in the 60's and 70's (from the Toronto Star Archives on www.getstock.com):

2085200081.jpg

2085200078.jpg

2085200064.jpg

2085200025.jpg

2085200023.jpg

2084200699.jpg
2084200698.jpg

these really elicit the "where are they now"? feeling in me. unlike most of the other photos posted in threads like this one, a good number of the people in these photos are likely still alive. one wonders where they all ended up. most of them would be in their late 60's to early 70's now.

also, one wonders if they know that images of their youthful selves are circulating around online, or that the images are available for sale at a stock library house. the thing that is fascinating about a lot of archival images is that the people photographed often have no idea or recollection of having been photographed, and thus have no idea of the afterlife of the photograph as a historical document, one available to people such as ourselves for reference and discussion as we cobble together a sense of 'what Toronto was', and how it became the place that it is.

838ac594.png

these really elicit the "where are they now"? feeling in me. unlike most of the other photos posted in threads like this one, a good number of the people in these photos are likely still alive. one wonders where they all ended up. most of them would be in their late 60's to early 70's now.

also, one wonders if they know that images of their youthful selves are circulating around online, or that the images are available for sale at a stock library house. the thing that is fascinating about a lot of archival images is that the people photographed often have no idea or recollection of having been photographed, and thus have no idea of the afterlife of the photograph as a historical document, one available to people such as ourselves for reference and discussion as we cobble together a sense of 'what Toronto was', and how it became the place that it is.

Beautifully put, deepend. I find that the most evocative pictures are those that take place in lost neighbourhoods, whether it's the Ward or Jarvis Street, while the patina of the past is amplified through the costumes of the era. Transcending both the lost buildings and historical clothing are the faces of recognizable human beings.

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." L.P.Hartley from The Go-Between

Summer of 1907 and 1909 at Scarborough Beach:

f1244_it0149.jpg

f1244_it0162a.jpg

f1244_it0162b.jpg

f1244_it0162.jpg

f1244_it0148.jpg

I was looking at the CNE photos and was struck by the "Congress of Fat People" one - most striking was that the passers-by were all, as far as I could see, quite slim. Now I fear the 'show' would be hard to distinguish from the 'audience".

I imagine most were late teens early 20's at the time. Being 1967-68 they'd be 65 at most.

I imagine most were late teens early 20's at the time. Being 1967-68 they'd be 65 at most.

yes--and they are the market for all those awful commercials aimed at the boomers approaching retirement (all pre-2008 crash of course). especially those starring Dennis Hopper R.I.P

[video=youtube;9UEp3tLLZ6A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UEp3tLLZ6A&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;Og2kQifwe-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og2kQifwe-A&feature=related[/video]

And yet Dennis Hopper was trying to deny his wife/ex-wife (?) any access to his money right up until his death.

Planning, shmanning.

Back