News   Jul 11, 2024
 142     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 527     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Adam Vaughan indicated the fountain was damaged by a car crash. Apparently the stone is rare enough that it takes a couple of years to replace.

If this fountain was privately owned (say at Commerce Court) would any reputable landlord leave a site in disarray for years while he searched for replacement stone? Would he not consider refacing the entire ensemble in an alternate available material if the original material was unavailable? Why do we accept such feeble excuses when it's something owned by the City (i.e.us)?

David Miller for mayor; he will do the right thing!

(ROTFLMAO)

Regards,
J T

4fd22706.png

2e2790a5.png

d10d55b9.png

281ce0fd.png

09700b56.png

c08cdd91.png

092882fa.png

84fce8db.png

a7645b79.png

e7ab903c.png

e60cb451.png

f99e5995.png

70ee47b4.png

^ Great collection!
Amazing to me how much agriculture and cattle once meshed with the city, and the pungent odours of manure and offal were familiar to everybody. And not to mention the stinks and smoke from industry all over! These days, threre's only an odd nose curling whif while passing near one of the city's few remaining rendering plants. And can't forget the nostaligic aroma of droppings left by an occasional police horse on the street- though having grown up with horses and shovelled my share of manure, I guess I speak for myself on that count.

I wonder how many people know those elaborate gates around Osgoode hall were meant to keep out cattle?

^ Great collection!
Amazing to me how much agriculture and cattle once meshed with the city, and the pungent odours of manure and offal were familiar to everybody. And not to mention the stinks and smoke from industry all over! These days, threre's only an odd nose curling whif while passing near one of the city's few remaining rendering plants. And can't forget the nostaligic aroma of droppings left by an occasional police horse on the street- though having grown up with horses and shovelled my share of manure, I guess I speak for myself on that count.

I wonder how many people know those elaborate gates around Osgoode hall were meant to keep out cattle?

thank you for your comments! on an altogether darker note, last week the Star had a fascinating article about slaughterhouses and the men who work in them:

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight...ink-between-slaughterhouses-and-violent-crime

Great photos! I love the shot of the men dining in a cattle barn… or hog barn… I'm not sure what the structure is, but it's certainly not the dining room at the Royal York. Also, what's with that poor cow with the giant growths? :(

[QUOTE I wonder how many people know those elaborate gates around Osgoode hall were meant to keep out cattle?[/QUOTE]

Some historians consider that to be a myth.
One commentator has written:
"The current "cow-gates" are similar to cattle
gates. They are designed to keep grazing animals off the
property. To date there is no proof that the ornate fence
surrounding Osgoode Hall was erected for that reason.
Mystical gates enabling magical entry is what legend
would lead you to believe. A realistic explanation is that
the gates were probably chosen for their Victorian charm. "

Great post with the Stockyards photos. A great-uncle of mine was a manager at Swift Canadian for years, and it provided summer employment for assorted uncles and so forth. I do feel sorry for any of you out there that can recall eating "Swift's Spanish Loaf"...

Happy Victoria Day, fellow Torontonians!

In honour of Her Majesty Victoria, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen, Defender of the Faith, Empress of India, born May 24, 1819:

1860:
NSwik-stamp8c1860.jpg

1893:
Timbre_Victoria_deuil_20c_Canada_18.jpg

1898:
Proposed_Victoria_Square_Toronto.jpg

Statue at Queen's Park unveiled May 27, 1903:
unveiledmay271903.jpg

f1244_it3033.jpg

I'm pleased today to post a picture taken by our Goldie back in 1993.

118.jpg

Thanks for your assistance, Mustapha.
I've was mesmerized by the contrast in the heights of these structures.
Is it possible that the Flatiron (Gooderham & Worts) Building was the tallest building in Toronto when it was built (1892) 118 years ago?

Is it possible that the Flatiron (Gooderham & Worts) Building was the tallest building in Toronto when it was built (1892) 118 years ago?

Once you factor out church steeples (of course), hard to say--after all, there were already proto-"skyscrapers" springing up closer to the core: the original Bank of Commerce and Canada Life buildings, etc. And even at the opposite end of the "Gooderham triangle", the old Board of Trade. There was certainly greater "parity"; it's only w/stuff like the Temple Building at the end of the century and Traders a few years later than things really lifted into the skies...

Back