News   May 16, 2024
 402     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 660     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.7K     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Canadian Authors Association, 1923

In my estimation, the man, holding a light coloured Fedora within his left hand and overcoat draped over his left arm,
he also wearing Spats, standing to his right, is Steven Leacock.

Regards,
J T

By gosh, I thing you're right!
At first I thought that man resembled William Randolph Hearst.

Last edited:
Organ grinder on Roncevalles, 1917

Organ grinder on Roncevalles 1917.jpg

Attachments

• Organ grinder on Roncevalles 1917.jpg
    Organ grinder on Roncevalles 1917.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 658
For what must be personal reasons, I find much more to relate to in the century old pics than the ones from the 80s, I'm in awe of studying many of the century old ones, and many are still alive somehow. I won't delve on that point, but here's something more topical:
upload_2017-9-7_23-22-41.png

Like many pics from when various 'tram' lines used double-headed cars (didn't need a loop to turn on), and this is captured in many pics of this era (Dundas West and Bloor, Yonge St at City Limits, the Junction, etc) it's something that's a reflection of the 'social order' of the times that people would line-up in such a manner without being shepherded to doing so, either by an island or by minders, albeit that might be a minder (A constable?) looking rearwards one third down the line, standing aside of it.

Of course, persons lined up in such a manner now-days would be liable to be hit by vehicles.

I swear this string is therapeutic. Time stands still, even as it remains alive...

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-7_23-22-41.png
    upload_2017-9-7_23-22-41.png
    419.1 KB · Views: 487
Organ grinder on Roncevalles, 1917
This intrigued me, and the clue to search was "Parkview Theatre". I know that location, as I live at the top of Roncesvalles, and pass by there every other day....but still couldn't exactly locate it, until finding this:
https://losttoronto2.wordpress.com/tag/parkview-theatre/

I love this string! That pic is a century old, and yet note the rather advanced telephone exchange number: "Park 6343". I think it was only in the Fifties that the exchanges were increased another decade of number.

Attachments

• Yonge-Carlton Google.jpg
    Yonge-Carlton Google.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 505
It's only now that I discovered, on Steve Munro's site, a c1967-68 evening shot of the Jane Loop *complete* with 7up *and* Goodyear signs operating at full blast--maybe the most electrifying urban experience Toronto ever knew...
It was 1961 IIRC that we moved to Toronto, and although still in public school, I used to ride across the city on my 5c fare, and back, in the days when Social Services didn't meddle in the majestic ramblings of curious youth, and I would always marvel at the 'coupling' of peak time streetcars at the Jane Loop. How did the trailing streetcar know how to start and stop without the driver doing anything?

Thanks for that pic, it's overwhelming at times visiting this string, which is exactly why I come here. It's good to relive the memories, and keep them alive.

Is that the Humber Cinema just below the 7UP sign? It's still going, albeit on shaky legs. It looks like that corner really is about to be radically transformed. I have to question if it's for the better....?

I have what will be an easy question for some of the regulars here to answer.

Here's a pic posted prior
that I believe is mistakenly attributed to another car barn (Eglinton Yd):

upload_2017-9-11_22-10-4.png

And here is what I believe is the same yard, albeit a few years later with the the barn itself extended to the south, but correctly noted as the "Wychwood Yard" (Wychwood being a later name since the road was renamed)

upload_2017-9-11_22-7-38.png

http://torontoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/20130910yard1924.jpg

Here's a yard diagram to assist in determination:

upload_2017-9-11_22-18-39.png

Note in the background, on what is now Christie Street, the distinctive light brick two story triple windowed each floor building.

Can anyone add to this? Are the two yards remarkably alike, or is the hand of fate misdirecting the leg of historical accuracy?

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-11_22-7-38.png
    upload_2017-9-11_22-7-38.png
    691 KB · Views: 486
  • upload_2017-9-11_22-10-4.png
    upload_2017-9-11_22-10-4.png
    716.8 KB · Views: 473
  • upload_2017-9-11_22-18-39.png
    upload_2017-9-11_22-18-39.png
    466.7 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Is that the Humber Cinema just below the 7UP sign? It's still going, albeit on shaky legs. It looks like that corner really is about to be radically transformed. I have to question if it's for the better....?

7up was on the south side of Bloor; a bit of an oblique vista-finisher for Jane St. It's Goodyear that stood atop the Odeon Humber.

Note in the background, on what is now Christie Street, the distinctive light brick two story triple windowed each floor building.

Can anyone add to this? Are the two yards remarkably alike, or is the hand of fate misdirecting the leg of historical accuracy?

There appears to be a huge amount of housing (to the left and background) in the photo dated only 1 year later.
Does that present a problem with the certainty of identification?

Looking N. on Bay St., from S. of Esplanade (c.1925-29) before RR overpass was built.
Bay St. c.1925-29.jpg

Attachments

• Bay St. c.1925-29.jpg
    Bay St. c.1925-29.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 678
Looking N. on Bay St., from S. of Esplanade (c.1925-29)
Prof Goldie

Note the abundance of Fire Protection Water Towers, post 1904 - Great Fire of Toronto.

Regards,
J T

Back