News   Jul 12, 2024
 273     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Attachments

• CNE 1905 and POW camp.jpg
    CNE 1905 and POW camp.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 312
Great find, DSC!
Particularly interesting are the 1905 CNE pix and the photos of the POW camp at Kapuskasing.

So... what kind of POW's would we be storing at Kapuskasing in 1914? That is a long way from the front lines in France let alone the lines at the wharf on Toronto Bay. Maybe the POW camp would have been more effective by just letting the POW's try to walk back to civilization and letting the bears and the mosquitoes "have at em"...

So... what kind of POW's would we be storing at Kapuskasing in 1914? That is a long way from the front lines in France let alone the lines at the wharf on Toronto Bay. Maybe the POW camp would have been more effective by just letting the POW's try to walk back to civilization and letting the bears and the mosquitoes "have at em"...

My guess is that they wouldn't have been PoWs so much as foreign nationals, but the distance does illustrate the absurdity of such internment.

"So... what kind of POW's would we be storing at Kapuskasing in 1914?"
QUOTE themarc.

POW's were not "stored"; POW's were inter(r?)ed.

BTW, my "home form" grade 10 teacher was one of those who were there during WW II.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Does anyone have any pics of places I remember from my childhood and wish were still around? The old Eatons Annex and warehouse, the Old Eatons store, the Restaurant that used to be on Queen street East of Yonge st, it was a diner I believe. I just dont remember it now and have been thinking of it for a while. They had Chicken Croquettes which my Mom loved.

WOW, excellent indeed. Was the original Eatons store right at Yonge and Queen? I so wish I could see a pic of it before they destroyed it for the Eaton Centre

Thanks! There are many. many pics of the old store on-line on both the Toronto and Ontario Archives sites:

28394_store_huge_flag_1020-1.jpg

29096-banners-yonge-1020-1.jpg

f0124_fl0001_id0006-1.jpg

5522-crown-over-yonge-1020-1.jpg

f0124_fl0001_id0005.jpg

Aerial_view_of_old_city_hall_Toront.jpg

Site of the original proposal for the Eaton Centre from The Toronto Telegram March 1, 1966:

2007-09-05-1839-10_edited.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• ships at Toronto.jpg
    ships at Toronto.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 375
  • ships on lake.jpg
    ships on lake.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 386
128 years of progress

I find it 'mind-boggling' to realize the immense changes that have altered this block in the downtown core since 1884 (attachment). Dozens of buildings have evaporated to accommodate today's TD Centre. Is there even one of the 128-year-old buildings remaining?

Attachments

• TD Block.jpg
    TD Block.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 401
I am constantly amazed at how ubiquitous the Union Jack used to be in Canadian life within living memory. I remember seeing it occasionally alongside the Maple Leaf in the 70s, but it's really evaporated since then. If it weren't for the little nod in the corner of Ontario's flag, you'd just never see it these days. Attitudes about who we are in the world really seemed to have turned on a dime in the 20 years between 1955 and 1975.

Back