News   Aug 02, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4.4K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.7K     4 

Everybody Hates Toronto, or My Pig's Feet Noodle Soup: Part III of IV

Nice tour of my old stomping grounds. Chippy's: vastly overrated, Ghazale: outstanding cheap lebanese food.

I love it how you lot all thaw yourselves out (read: laze about :p) in the streets in the warmer months.

Wow, you've covered all of Toronto's rather large contiguous urban area from Bloor West Village to the Indian bazaar on Gerrard. How long were you in town for?

Kohinoor Foods has excellent tea - not the typical dust you get in teabags, but proper leaves that fold out to the size of postage stamps in hot water and have a good strong taste.

Chippy's: vastly overrated

It's inconsistent at all locations. I've had really very good fish & chips here, and also surprisingly bad. Don't know if it's a supplier issue or what - I suspect inadequate training of the cooking staff may be the culprit. Always a crapshoot.

Probably the best fish & chips I've ever eaten (and man, did I eat lot of it) was at "Go Fish" near Granville Market in Vancouver - it's my new gold standard.

Ghazale: outstanding cheap lebanese food.

Yeah - reno was a nice improvement. Sarah's just down the street is pretty damn good, too.

Drifters in Fakenham, Norfolk has the best fish and chips I've ever had - but they're half a world away. The two guys who run it were in Toronto on holiday last Christmas - if only they'd open a shop here. Locally, Duckworths is pretty good, though I haven't been there in a while.

(Chippy's is) inconsistent at all locations. I've had really very good fish & chips here, and also surprisingly bad. Don't know if it's a supplier issue or what - I suspect inadequate training of the cooking staff may be the culprit. Always a crapshoot.

I've only done Chippy's a couple of times, but both times have made me want to return. No crapshoot for me yet.

824903218_512342f0c2_o.jpg

So they finally finished this hideous, not respecting of neighbourhood architecture, monstrosity. It was under construction when I lived down the street during university. I can't remember, is it on D'Arcy, Baldwin or Grange?

So they finally finished this hideous, not respecting of neighbourhood architecture, monstrosity.
I think it's on Grange, but I could be wrong. Also, I don't think it's much bigger (if at all) than the houses next to it. Moreover, it may not be to everyone's taste, but calling it "hideous" is a real stretch. In fact, I think it's the nicest property on the street now. As for "respecting" the neighbourhood, I think it's height, massing and style are just fine. Far better than some faux Victorian bay and gable that could've been bulit. It's little surprises like this that keep a city intersting.

Yes, it's on Grange, right by Beverly.

I agree with Darkstar: I think it's very respectful of its surroundings. A building doesn't need to mindlessly ape the architecture of its neighbours in order to fit in.

I love this house. It's like a mini version of N-blox. As stated, its respectful of the scale of the street, and is a nice contrast. Better than faux-historicism!

The building to the left of it in the picture is the one not respecting the neighbourhood architecture. That horribly cheaply enclosed balcony is the eyesore in that quarter.

The modernist house being debated here is artist Charles Pachter's residence and studio by Stephen Teeple. Looks good to me, but I have yet to see it in the flesh.

Back