News   May 16, 2024
 44     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 464     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 753     0 

Ethnic communities in Scarborough

It's seemed to me in the past that some Filipinos assimilate into the mainstream quickly while others assimilate into the Asian mainstream quickly...either way, neither of these routes lead to anything like a Little Manila. Filipinos are also not as spatially concentrated as some other groups, which tends to preempt even things like minor clusters of stores/services in strip malls. Part of it is cultural...there are more Filipinos than Koreans in Toronto but Koreans are quite disproportionately represented in the types of businesses that tend to constitute the physical fabric of Chinatowns/Little Italys. Of course, a serious detailed study could end up contradicting any of the reasons that have been tossed about here.

The Filipino community is also differerent that many other immigrant communities in that a very large percentage of the Filipinos in Canada are here alone, separate from their families back at home. Just think about how Filipino women you may know, and then ask how many Filipino men you know. I'd have to say, the community has a lot fewer males.

There's quite a few Filipino shops (restaurants, grocery stores, etc) in the Marlee/Eglinton area (Marlee and Roselawn has a grocery store) and also scattered amongst the Bathurst St Jewish strip (Lawrence to Sheppard.) Why? Lotsa nannies in the 'hood. (Not that I approve--I don't.)

There's quite a few Filipino shops (restaurants, grocery stores, etc) in the Marlee/Eglinton area (Marlee and Roselawn has a grocery store) and also scattered amongst the Bathurst St Jewish strip (Lawrence to Sheppard.) Why? Lotsa nannies in the 'hood. (Not that I approve--I don't.)

What do you disapprove of?

Also, why stop at Sheppard? The Jewish strip, and scattered Filipino businesses, continue right up Bathurst (and on Steeles, too: see Toys R Us plaza at Hilda or, for that matter, take a look around Centerpoint).

Last edited:
I am wondering if anyone knows much about the Iranian population in Toronto. Does it have a strong presence in what seems to be around the North York area? Does it have that 'traditional' ethnic community look or is it more subtle compared to a Little Italy or Chinatown?

Both. More visible between 401 and Steeles, especially the north end; more subtle but going strong up Yonge through Thornhill and the bottom half of Richmond Hill.

What's the definition of 'traditional ethnic community'?

Also, regarding fillipino restaurants, there definitely a few scattered here and there in Scarborough, some in Agincourt. What I find also along the relatively new BIA of Sheppard East Village is that a lot of fillipinos frequent the chinese restaurants, creating a symbiosis of sorts.

I live in Scarborough, near the Scarborough Town Center. The area is middle class, I suppose, I don't really know where the poor or criminal areas of Scarborough are supposed to be, I certainly haven't encountered them. The main ethnic groups I see frequently are Chinese, Filipinos and Indians/Tamils (and whites of course). There don't seem to be many black or Caribbean people living in the section I'm living in, so I suppose they're concentrated elsewhere. For the most part I don't see the ethnic hording that I find in Markham/Brampton and I haven't noticed any "ethnic strongholds" but maybe I'm just not that observant.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. Though my trip to Toronto was short, and the weather was not the best, and the drive there and back made for a long day, it was still fun to explore some new parts of the city.

There was in fact a pretty good Iranian presence in the north Yonge area. I was also surprised to see the development to the suburbs in that area and how so many little one storey homes are being replaced by two storey homes. In another decade or two that area will really change a lot, especially once the Yonge subway is extended and brings far more high rise development. I also thought it was interesting that the development in the Don Mills area, another area that showed high numbers of Iranian immigrants, had very little ethnic presence.

Someone made a comment before about how Canadian ethnic neighborhoods for the most part tend to just serve a very functional purpose, and avoid a tendency to become little ethnic theme parks. I would have to agree. I think it is one aspect of what makes Canadian cities interesting places. They might not be the most beautiful or stylish (though this is improving), but they are very dynamic and uses of spaces and neighborhoods change enough to always make things feel different. It is is pretty interesting to think how different areas like Yonge and Sheppard look and are used compared to 20 or 30 years ago and how different they will be again in another 20 or 30 years.

Back