News   Jul 31, 2024
 173     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 365     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 311     1 

Emirates A380 @ CYYZ on June 1st, 3:45pm

Interesting. That's a different approach from Singapore Airlines. They put all the first class suites on the lower deck, while some of the upper deck is given over to economy. It's nice to be able to try the upper deck even if you aren't quite in the high end of the market.

Interesting. That's a different approach from Singapore Airlines. They put all the first class suites on the lower deck, while some of the upper deck is given over to economy. It's nice to be able to try the upper deck even if you aren't quite in the high end of the market.

Yeah, it's nice if you're not quite in the high end, but if you ARE in the high end maybe you don't want the hoi polloi milling about on your floor, eh?

I'd want to go upstairs too but I suspect the photos in these news articles about as close as I'll ever come to showering on a jet.

Pricing of First Class:

I was on the Emirates website and took a look at some ticket prices. A first class round trip for 2 comes to over 12 grand per person! Who in their right mind would pay such prices? In this economy especially, are companies actually willing to foot the bill? I know first class is amazing, but seriously, is it worth 12 grand?

^I think that there are enough people for whom cost is no object. Of all the luxuries in the world, if I were super-rich ($10M +), I would indulge in a first class air ticket before a lot of other things, like a yacht or some faraway vacation property that I would only enjoy every now and then. Long-haul flights suck ass, and sometimes I even wonder whether I should have upgraded to business, so I can understand how a rich person would drop 12 grand for a comfortable flight.

Somewhat ironically, I also think the economy has killed the market for executive jets, which means those travelers will "downgrade" to first class.

I was on the Emirates website and took a look at some ticket prices. A first class round trip for 2 comes to over 12 grand per person! Who in their right mind would pay such prices? In this economy especially, are companies actually willing to foot the bill? I know first class is amazing, but seriously, is it worth 12 grand?

Many employers (public and private sector) will pay 12k for a first class fare to Dubai if it saves the employee extra nights in-situ (which would mean lost productivity and extra hotel charges, per diems, etc.). You have to be high enough in the food chain for your productivity to be worth that much but there are enough potential customers to make that fare worthwhile. And 12k to go First class (not business class) for a non-stop trip of over 12 hours is actually quite reasonable. Look up how much a business class ticket costs to Sydney on Air Canada or even business class on their shorter flights to Europe...and they don't have any where close to the level of service that Emirates provides.

Somewhat ironically, I also think the economy has killed the market for executive jets, which means those travelers will "downgrade" to first class.

And that's largely how they market it. Emirates First is targeted at those who might use a private jet instead. Their business class service is comparable to other airlines and aimed at regular business travellers. It's also significantly cheaper.

Last edited:
A first class round trip for 2 comes to over 12 grand per person! Who in their right mind would pay such prices? In this economy especially, are companies actually willing to foot the bill?

Wouldnt that be about the price a scalper would ask for a gold ticket, if the Leafs ever made it to the Stanley Cup final.:D

I flew out of Pearson last night on a tiny Air Canada Embraer 175, and passing that giant whale was quite the sight! She is massive, and not very graceful.

It isn't nicknamed the 'whalejet' for no reason.

wait a sec, i thought they gave it that nickname because it runs on whale blubber?

but seriously, for a 10 grand fare, those showers better come with the finest american whores arabian oil money can buy!

What is never discussed on most chats about Emirates is how good their other cabin services are. I flew economy on Emirates a decade ago and they had seatback personal TVs back then, multiple options for hot meals (that at least looked gourmet...not like stereotypical airline food) and they offered free wines and martinis from an extensive list. And let's not forget the decent looking flight attendants who also usually provide service in at least half a dozen (and sometimes a full dozen) languages on every flight. This was a decade ago. I can only imagine how much they have improved since.

Their business class cabin is better than Air Canada and probably cheaper given the distance you are flying. And the business lounges are also better than Maple Leaf lounges.

The ultimate trump card, however, is that you get to fly through Dubai. It cuts travel times to the Indian sub-continent and the western parts of South-East Asia (vs. flying through Europe or over the Pacific). And the shopping on the stop-over ain't all that bad either.

The only downside to flying Emirates is that you can't collect aeroplan miles.

All in all, I can see why Air Canada is desperate to limit airlines like EK (Etihad is also starting to gain momentum) from gaining too much popularity. If people get used to Emirate's standards Air Canada might end up in some serious hot water.

but seriously, for a 10 grand fare, those showers better come with the finest american whores arabian oil money can buy!

No such luck. Not only are you limited to a max of 20 minutes in the bathroom, you only get something like 4-5 mins of running water for your shower. Nevertheless, it would certainly be handy towards the end of a long flight for a first class passenger who might then go straight in to a meeting.

I am impressed with all the smaller touches like granite counters. Given how conscious airlines are about weight, it's remarkable that they managed to give up some of their weight margins for wood paneling and stone counters.

Back