News   Apr 29, 2024
 308     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.9K     6 

Emergency Alert System

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Unbelievable FUBAR for today's Amber Alert being elevated to an emergency level - and it just makes people not take these alerts seriously, which is the last thing you'd want.

AoD

I have yet to receive an emergency alert at all. I use a 2010 Sony Ericsson brick phone (3G). It has internet and all that (including built-in email, Wikipedia, and Google Maps with sattelite image capability) so it's not entirely archaic.
What means are they sent out by?

I have yet to receive an emergency alert at all. I use a 2010 Sony Ericsson brick phone (3G). It has internet and all that (including built-in email, Wikipedia, and Google Maps with sattelite image capability) so it's not entirely archaic.
What means are they sent out by?
I have iPhone 7, LTE. I heard nothing, but 1 person in car had his phone buzzing, and anothers buzzed about 20 minutes later. Is it the Carrier?

I have iPhone 7, LTE. I heard nothing, but 1 person in car had his phone buzzing, and anothers buzzed about 20 minutes later. Is it the Carrier?

It's through the carriers, but initiated by a central agency, no?

No idea. Didn't even realise testing was happening til I heard about it on the radio. Was wondering if my phone is too old. I thought it came in on SMS, so I don't see why that would be the case.

I guess the problems they were having have not been solved yet.

It's through the carriers, but initiated by a central agency, no?

No idea. Didn't even realise testing was happening til I heard about it on the radio. Was wondering if my phone is too old. I thought it came in on SMS, so I don't see why that would be the case.

I guess the problems they were having have not been solved yet.

In this case consider yourself lucky and the provincial Emergency Management Ontario need a smack in the head. Given what they have done, I wish there is a way to block them now.

AoD

In this case consider yourself lucky and the provincial Emergency Management Ontario need a smack in the head. Given what they have done, I wish there is a way to block them now.

AoD

I didn't haven't received anything, but I gather from what you're saying that they sent out a test emergency message as an amber alert or vice versa.

I consider myself in no apparent need of emergency messages, by their reckoning.

I didn't haven't received anything, but I gather from what you're saying that they sent out a test emergency message as an amber alert or vice versa.

I consider myself in no apparent need of emergency messages, by their reckoning.

First, Amber Alert should not be a provincial level emergency - no reason for those in the GTA to get it when it is way out in Thunder Bay; second, the alert is super loud - to the point of being a shock; third, there are way too many alerts - do we really need one for cancellation of an Amber Alert?

Like I have said - this isn’t imminent disasters, violent threats or mass casualties that requires immediate response in the part of the recipient - is a kidnapped or whatever kid really the appropriate use of this kind of an alert system where there are expectations of danger and action?

AoD

Like I have said - this isn’t imminent disasters, violent threats or mass casualties that requires immediate response in the part of the recipient - is a kidnapped or whatever kid really the appropriate use of this kind of an alert system where the expectation is danger and action?

AoD

Probably not. So, they're using it to broadcast Amber Alerts now? Damn, I'm glad I don't get it. Thank you, Sony Ericsson (RIP).

Apparently. You’d think that they have launched missiles at us bad.

AoD

If someone's launching missiles at us in any serious capacity, then I don't think SMSs on my phone will be of much use....particularly if I don't get them at the exact moment said missiles are being launched.

If someone's launching missiles at us in any serious capacity, then I don't think SMSs on my phone will be of much use....particularly if I don't get them at the exact moment said missiles are being launched.

Of course not (besides the inevitable “what for.”) - I am referencing the Hawaii faux pas here.

Terrible public policy from a bunch of overemoted politicians/policy makers.

AoD

The system is a joke. Getting Amber Alerts for Thunder Bay down in Southern Ontario is just ludicrous.

Well, the system is annoying enough to get me to actively ignore the message and delete it right away - which is just what the intended consequence of the system, right?

AoD

Back