News   Jul 16, 2024
 196     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 334     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Emerald City/Parkway Forest: New Rental Buildings (ELAD Canada, various, WZMH)

February 5 2010 update

Bldg 'D1' - I'm liking the quality of spandrels + color a lot :)
Click to Enlarge

Bldg 'A2' - disappointed that the rooftop feature that had 'potential' was simply filled in with concrete blocks

Actually I don't mind the look, but I do agree with solaris, the roof block looks ugly. I hope they at least color it in the end and why does the block need to be so big?

Last edited:
hopefully El-Ad will wrap the rooftop mechanical box with the good looking spandrel panel ~ that would give it a nice 'finished' look

By El-Ad you actually meant the Department of National Defense?

Took these earlier today:

4541913216_3a6a862510_o.jpg

4541913370_983b000a00_o.jpg

4541280133_48b4e119b3_o.jpg

4541913674_0f1f729053_o.jpg

4541913974_c882f1c320_o.jpg

wow, nice pics. This will surely change the face of the area. The old rental buildings have always been a sight for sore eyes.

wow, nice pics. This will surely change the face of the area. The old rental buildings have always been a sight for sore eyes.

Were they really that bad? I really don't mind buildings like that, although I can see why others / most would.

Anyway, is that mechanical box going to be left like that! It's huge, why so big? They really should have cladded it with glass or something so it flows better with the rest of the building.

They are not finished yet :( I wonder when they are going to start moving people from the old apartment so they can start demolishing the existing apartment for the phase 1.

I remember someone said that they should start breaking ground sometime in June this year. I'm worried whether that is still the case.

That expression usually is a metaphor for a beautiful vision to behold. As in: "Evangeline Lily walked into the room and she was a sight for sore eyes" in other words her beauty soothed your sore eyes.

I think you meant that those old rental buildings GIVE you sore eyes. A very different interpretation.

Anyway... It's funny for me to see these being built. I grew up in the area and I played in the dirt that was to become Fairview Mall back in 1970. I clearly remember when I was about 7 or 8, a couple of my friends and I sneaked into the construction site of the rental building on Parkway forest behind these new buildings and we explored the empty apartments. I had to go to the bathroom and I used one of the toilets... But the water wasn't running yet! LOL

Nice to see these older, bleak suburbs finally getting some proper streetwall action.

The massive brick-clad components at the top are terrible. How can things like that get built? The rest is just a mundane arrangement of windows and balconies. The older building beside this development in the photos below looks a lot better than the new buildings. It at least tried something different with the balcony arrangement, and doesn't have three stories of nothing but brick wall at the top.

We should let buildings with such huge expanses of featureless walls be built in noticeable places like along arterials anywhere in the city.

Back