1K     2 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 420     0 

Electrical Upgrades Question

aiekon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I'm in the process of choosing upgrades via the developer and I'm confused with the electrical upgrades...

So, one of the options is to add a bedroom ceiling light to an existing switch or to a separate switch. Choosing the separate switch costs $300 more.

What does this exactly mean and what are the differences between the two? And, if I were to go ahead and upgrade to an existing switch, can I easily get someone to change it over to a separate switch?

Without seeing the electrical drawing it's hard to say for sure. But these days it's typical for a bedrooms to not have a ceiling light. Instead half of one of your plugs is controlled by a switch to operate a lamp (something I hate, but that's another topic). My guess is that to have an extra switch would mean that one switch controls the ceiling light and one switch controls half of one of your plugs. I have to say that it's an odd choice you've been given. I can't imagine why anyone would want both and I've never seen it in any suite I've wired. You should talk to the builders rep for clarification.
That said, if you're getting the option of changing from a switched receptacle to a ceiling light and it doesn't cost you anything, then your builder is awesome. Upgrades like this are something they use to make lots of extra money. Many condos don't even give you the choice to get them - such as the one I recently bought.

Hi Wooba, thanks for the reply. Yes, the standard lighting in the bedroom is what you mentioned.. half of one of the plug outlets being controlled by a switch to operate a lamp. So, for the bedroom they're offering TWO levels of upgrades.

1) Upgrade 1: Ceiling light on an existing switch ($400)
2) Upgrade 2: Ceiling light on a separate switch ($700)

So, I just don't understand what it means when it's added to an existing switch or a separate switch. For example, do you think adding the ceiling light to an existing switch means adding the light to the "lamp" switch? So, when I turn on the ceiling light, the lamp would ALSO turn on?

They are also offering puck lighting under the kitchen cabinets.. but again, either on an existing switch or a separate switch. From what the decor rep said, if it's on an existing switch then, as an example, if I turn on the main kitchen track lighting, the puck lighting would turn on also. If, on the other hand I chose to upgrade to a separate switch, then I can control both lights independently.

Do you think that's correct? And if so, if I upgraded to an existing switch ceiling outlet, can I easily change it to a separate switch?

I've never seen anyone request to have a switched plug as well as a ceiling box. I can only speculate, but I'd would say you're right that you get both operating on one switch or you can get 2 switches to operate both separately.
Go for upgrade 1. As long as your ceiling box is working from the switch it doesn't matter if they split the plug. Fixing that to make it always on is simple.
Is this a condo or a house?

I've never seen anyone request to have a switched plug as well as a ceiling box. I can only speculate, but I'd would say you're right that you get both operating on one switch or you can get 2 switches to operate both separately.
Go for upgrade 1. As long as your ceiling box is working from the switch it doesn't matter if they split the plug. Fixing that to make it always on is simple.
Is this a condo or a house?

It's a condo. Hmm, so it seems as though the decor rep was telling the truth. Thanks for the advice, Wooba!

It's a condo. Hmm, so it seems as though the decor rep was telling the truth. Thanks for the advice, Wooba!

Then assuming it's a new condo, with poured concrete $400 for a box is a good price. The cost to add one afterwards is a hell of a lot more and it's either very messy or very ugly.
Afterwards if you want one, you can add another wire and get a double rocker switch so you can put a fan and control the light and fan independantly.

Then assuming it's a new condo, with poured concrete $400 for a box is a good price. The cost to add one afterwards is a hell of a lot more and it's either very messy or very ugly.
Afterwards if you want one, you can add another wire and get a double rocker switch so you can put a fan and control the light and fan independantly.

I just made a selection -- or rather, was forced by my wife -- to add a covered ceiling box in the bedroom of my unit in AURA. One switch will turn on/off the box and the female plugs. Cost was $ 300.00. Builder will not put ceiling box on a separate switch. If it is so easy to add another wire, I am not sure as to why developer will not offer that option.

I presume, one would need a licensed electrician -- to keep insurance coveage -- to do the necessary work.

I just made a selection -- or rather, was forced by my wife -- to add a covered ceiling box in the bedroom of my unit in AURA. One switch will turn on/off the box and the female plugs. Cost was $ 300.00. Builder will not put ceiling box on a separate switch. If it is so easy to add another wire, I am not sure as to why developer will not offer that option.

I presume, one would need a licensed electrician -- to keep insurance coveage -- to do the necessary work.

I'm guessing it's for keeping it easy for the electrician. Rather than have a list of different units with the various options, everything with a ceiling box gets the same sort of installation. I still don't understand why one would want a ceiling light and a switched plug. If it were my unit I'd just remove the switched plug portion.
You probably should get a licensed electrician to do the work if you're really paranoid about the insurance issues, however if you're comfortable with this you could do it yourself and get ESA to inspect it. That's overkill but should give you the same sort of "protection".

I'm guessing it's for keeping it easy for the electrician. Rather than have a list of different units with the various options, everything with a ceiling box gets the same sort of installation. I still don't understand why one would want a ceiling light and a switched plug. If it were my unit I'd just remove the switched plug portion.
You probably should get a licensed electrician to do the work if you're really paranoid about the insurance issues, however if you're comfortable with this you could do it yourself and get ESA to inspect it. That's overkill but should give you the same sort of "protection".

Thanks for your response.

First a question and then a statement.

What does ESA stand for?

Now the statement.

I am not a free man anymore. I am married, happily -- at least on my side. It was not my choice or decision.

ESA is Electrical Safety Authority.
They are the body that oversee electrical inspections in Ontario.

Back