News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

One possible arrangement of the light rail lines in Scarborough, connected to the subway extension.

Sheppard gets converted to high-floor, high capacity LRT and goes to STC and then to Malvern, serving Centennial Progress campus en route.

The subway platforms are hollow, by the way.

s0381_fl0107_id8008-1.jpg

From link.

One possible arrangement of the light rail lines in Scarborough, connected to the subway extension.

Some great ideas. I think turning Sheppard into a high-floor, high capacity LRT would work well. In Ottawa the soon to open Confederation line is a grade seperated high capacity LRT. Maybe the existing Scarborough Centre SRT elevated station could be upgraded and incorporated as part of this line instead of demolishing a perfectly good structure. The station is already fully accessible and still young at 33 years old.

Sheppard gets converted to high-floor, high capacity LRT and goes to STC and then to Malvern, serving Centennial Progress campus en route.

Eglinton gets extended pas Kennedy all the way to UTSC (remaining low-floor).

Another service (let's call it Scarborough East LRT; low-floor) starts at Kennedy eastward, sharing the tracks with Eglinton till UTSC. Then it goes to Sheppard, turns west, connects to the Sheppard-Malvern line and shares tracks with it till STC.

It shouldn't be difficult to build a section, STC to Sheppard, shared by high-floor and low-floor trains. Known in a number of cities around the world. But if TTC is unwilling to do that, then the high-floor Sheppard line can end at STC. Malvern will be served by its own low-floor line (although the loss of through running is a bit of a disadvantage).

There are possibilities for Finch East LRT as well; I did not put them on this map to keep it simple.

Last edited:
From Progress and Milner Ave to about Neilson Rd and McLevin Ave there is already an open greenway that could easily be converted into an LRT Row. The greenway is 2.3 km in length and is around 30 metres wide in most places.

Attachments

• 1985.jpg
    1985.jpg
    918 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
From Progress and Milner Ave to about Neilson Rd and McLevin Ave there is already an open greenway that could easily be converted into an LRT Row. The greenway is 2.3 km in length and is around 30 metres wide in most places.
That greenway is from an old (now torn up) railway spur that used to run from Kennedy and Eglinton to the CP Rail Yard. I'm surprised that it wasn't sold off and developed like the rest of the line foolishly was.

The subway platforms are hollow, by the way.

Yes. But if the platforms are lowered, then the stairs and elevators will have to be completely rebuilt.

Apparently, the cost of converting the subway to low-floor vehicles is very substantial ($670 million per estimates made several years ago, could easily hit $1 billion today).

If we do convert the Sheppard subway at all, IMO it should be converted to another kind of high-floor vehicles.

I have no objections to using that corridor. However, I know that TTC did not want to build a surface LRT there when they were planning SLRT. The line would be tunneled from Sheppard to Malvern Centre.

Not sure what kind of constraints they found, and how rigid those constraints are.

I have no objections to using that corridor. However, I know that TTC did not want to build a surface LRT there when they were planning SLRT. The line would be tunneled from Sheppard to Malvern Centre.

Not sure what kind of constraints they found, and how rigid those constraints are.

The constraint was that the line was to be completely signalized and grade separated for its full length. Had it be split off and operated as a separate service from the SRT, there would have been no reason why they couldn't have operated the line through there at grade.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Now city staff are recommending the project should be done in one stage that would include an extension from Kennedy station to Malvern Town Centre.
I gotta love how politically savvy City staff have gotten. They know damn well that the project is less likely to be approved if there are cost overruns, so instead they recommend the inclusion of the extension to Malvern, such that the "compromise" position for politicians would be to only build it to UTSC.

Now city staff are recommending the project should be done in one stage that would include an extension from Kennedy station to Malvern Town Centre.
I gotta love how politically savvy City staff have gotten. They know damn well that the project is less likely to be approved if there are cost overruns, so instead they recommend the inclusion of the extension to Malvern, such that the "compromise" position for politicians would be to only build it to UTSC.

Interesting version. Well, no objections, as long as some progress is being made.

I'm by no means a transit expert, but one way I view each additional subway stop and each additional passenger is as another potential point of failure which can shut down or interrupt a whole line.

Much of the Eglinton LRT will be above ground. Even though its separated from traffic and I believe has signal control, the TTC/metrolinx has zero experience as far as I know operating an LRT line with signal control. Spadina, St Clair, these are streetcars not LRT.

Is there concern about reliability in the above ground portions of the line? Is there concerns that if service in the above ground portions is poor that this will create interruptions in the underground portion of the line?

I think Metrolinx is subcontracting Bombardier certified operators who are specially trained for LRT to operate the Eglinton LRT. Bombardier operates highly successful LRT systems all over the world.
GO Train engineers and conductors work for Bombardier.

Back