News   May 03, 2024
 933     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 566     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 275     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

Will the off-street bus terminal be inside a fare paid area or will it be touch in, because it looks like a bunch of buses will serve it and there is a pedestrian tunnel concept included.

On another note
View attachment 142590

Who the hell designed this thing? Just head north and bend it slightly east to serve the campus.

Why not run at grade right down Military trail, turn left on Old Kingston rd thru Highland creek Village and back up Meadowvale Rd to Sheppard.

This would serve the entire campus, serve old Highland Creek village and run up to Meadowvale Sheppard where there is a pocket of density near the 401 and turn very close to the Zoo. From there it can continue to serve Morningside/Sheppard and head to Malvern Town Centre. This City/Province seems to struggle with the finer details that could leave a far greater legacy.

Update: Likely a non starter as there was a recent study that allowed for a routing change of the Scarborough-Durham BRT thru Highland Creek Village. BRT Report here.

Last edited:
I’m really glad to see the extension to Malvern included. It’s an important social equity goal, and it delivers transit to a community which has been waiting for past promises and proposals to come true for longer than any other part of the city.

I also like the tunnel solution for a couple of reasons - one, it addresses future capacity needs better than any of the surface alternatives, and two, it emphasises that LRT needs to be done right without cutting corners to achieve minimum cost. Much better thinking than on Eglinton West where grade sep was unthinkable just because it costs money.

The added expense also throws the hot potato right at Council: how do we pay for this, on top of the Line 2 extension? Staff may have figured there was no harm in proposing a more costly line, as it gives decisionmakers something to cut back without cancelling the whole thing. And/or it makes it harder to defer that funding conversation. But I hope it passes as proposed.

- Paul

I’m really glad to see the extension to Malvern included. It’s an important social equity goal, and it delivers transit to a community which has been waiting for past promises and proposals to come true for longer than any other part of the city.

I also like the tunnel solution for a couple of reasons - one, it addresses future capacity needs better than any of the surface alternatives, and two, it emphasises that LRT needs to be done right without cutting corners to achieve minimum cost. Much better thinking than on Eglinton West where grade sep was unthinkable just because it costs money.

The added expense also throws the hot potato right at Council: how do we pay for this, on top of the Line 2 extension? Staff may have figured there was no harm in proposing a more costly line, as it gives decisionmakers something to cut back without cancelling the whole thing. And/or it makes it harder to defer that funding conversation. But I hope it passes as proposed.

- Paul

Funding will come as required as this project will see solid support in Scarborough and not be a political hot potato. We are still working our way off the financial figures which were very low with the poorly detailed Transit City LRT plan. Certainly refreshing to see some key details being addressed with the at Morningside/Kingston and the Extension to Malvern Town Centre as that can setup for either a future LRT connection to SCC or a Finch west loop.

Last edited:

I also like the tunnel solution for a couple of reasons - one, it addresses future capacity needs better than any of the surface alternatives, and two, it emphasises that LRT needs to be done right without cutting corners to achieve minimum cost.
In the report, it said that the tunnel allows for higher frequencies past it towards UTSC. Does it mean that without the tunnel at Kingston/Lawrence/Morningside, the headways north of it would have been higher?

- Paul
Like how they should have proposed extending Line 1 to Queens Quay, which comes at an unimaginable price, so that the expanded Union Loop is the fall back instead of the Funicular? :D

They surprised by deciding to tunnel at the Lawrence crossing, and stay on surface near UTSC. I expected it to be one way around :)

But well, let's hope that the planners got it right this time.

The only part that concerns me is the talk of Malvern extension. If it happens, Malvern will get a new and shining line that doesn't go where the vast majority of Malvern transit riders want to go.

If they want to reach subway Line 2, they can do that much faster by taking a bus to STC and transferring there, rather than sitting on the LRT through a very indirect trip around a good part of Scarborough, for 35-40 min just to reach Kennedy Stn.

If they want to go to STC, well obviously this line will not go there. If they want to go to any point in Scarborough and west of Markham Rd, again this line won't be terribly useful.

The only small group of riders that can benefit from such extension are those who go to UTSC, or to Guildwood GO station; the volume that can be easily handled by bus.

IMO, Malvern would benefit much more from a light rail line that connects it to STC and the subway Line 2 terminus there.

The EE LRT will be pretty useful, it is only the Malvern section (which is Phase 2 anyway) that raises concerns.

But, apparently some people regard LRT as a kind of fetish, that has be admired regardless of the travel patterns it serves or doesn't serve.

The only part that concerns me is the talk of Malvern extension. If it happens, Malvern will get a new and shining line that doesn't go where the vast majority of Malvern transit riders want to go.

If they want to reach subway Line 2, they can do that much faster by taking a bus to STC and transferring there, rather than sitting on the LRT through a very indirect trip around a good part of Scarborough, for 35-40 min just to reach Kennedy Stn.

If they want to go to STC, well obviously this line will not go there. If they want to go to any point in Scarborough and west of Markham Rd, again this line won't be terribly useful.

The only small group of riders that can benefit from such extension are those who go to UTSC, or to Guildwood GO station; the volume that can be easily handled by bus.

IMO, Malvern would benefit much more from a light rail line that connects it to STC and the subway Line 2 terminus there.

Not ideal but given the circumstances its a great move to take advantage of a project nearing construction and basically solidifies the EELRT as no politician is messing with Malvern Town Centre or Malvern transit again. The link to UTSC is good for students and better access to the Pan-am Centre. Also gives the Town Centre a MUCH needed breathe of life while the plans for North Scarborough connection to the subway are developed in the coming decades. Without this or without the SSE extended to Sheppard, Malvern rots completely for decades. This line will go right to where the SLRT should have but in addition to the transfer, fell short.

Whoa that video was great. This is the type of transit line focus and individuality that was missing from the Miller-era Transit City. Back then it was all rush, broad brush, 'this goes here - end of story'.

That being said I have a hard time believing EELRT will be built. For starters it will no doubt be way costlier than promised, especially with an added grade-separation or two. And the extension to Malvern... I can't see it happening. Too circuitous to be of any use. In my eyes either this will be built, or SSE, not both. However if Line 3 remains indefinitely (but is slightly upgraded bare bones style (i.e new rolling stock w/ extended stations), and this is built in lieu of SSE, I think that would still be a big win.

Not ideal but given the circumstances its a great move to take advantage of a project nearing construction and basically solidifies the EELRT as no politician is messing with Malvern Town Centre or Malvern transit again. The link to UTSC is good for students and better access to the Pan-am Centre. Also gives the Town Centre a MUCH needed breathe of life while the plans for North Scarborough connection to the subway are developed in the coming decades. Without this or the SSE to Sheppard Malvern rots completely for decades. This line will go right to where the SLRT wasn't and should have.

Maybe you are right. I just feel that a light rail line that originates at Malvern Centre and hits Sheppard, should turn right and head to the main hub, not turn the other way :)

Perhaps if the tracks are originally built to connect Malvern centre to UTSC, and then it becomes obvious that most of riders want to go towards STC - well, they add the tracks to STC and rearrange the routes. That way, all tracks they built remain useful.

Maybe you are right. I just feel that a light rail line that originates at Malvern Centre and hits Sheppard, should turn right and head to the main hub, not turn the other way :)

Perhaps if the tracks are originally built to connect Malvern centre to UTSC, and then it becomes obvious that most of riders want to go towards STC - well, they add the tracks to STC and rearrange the routes. That way, all tracks they built remain useful.

This is undoubtedly a Political gesture (what isn't right now). But I see major urgency from a socio-economic standpoint for the severely neglected Malvern Town Centre so I love it. A lot. While it doesn't really improve commute times, (Smarttrack will also be opening up a new realm of expedited Downtown travel) the direct area could not handle another 20-30 years of being isolated with complete neglect, which would be the reality. This buys the necessary time for North Scarborough to be designed and will fit nicely into the broader network

Last edited:

This LRT is a concession prize for Malvern getting screwed over and over and over again.

This LRT is a concession prize for Malvern getting screwed over and over and over again.
That's the truth. We always see the so called divide between Scarborough and Toronto is brought up time after time, but everyone including Scarborough own Councillors seem oblivious to the very same divide that exists in Scarborough between Scarborough Centre and everywhere else. Its no secret areas like West Hill and Malvern are neglected in favor of Scarborough Centre and unfortunately nobody seems to care, not even the Councillors in this part of the city. If I was representing eastern Scarborough I would have flipped my shit on DeBaremaker a long time ago since we can't afford the EELRT and the SSE seems to jump in cost every month. The whole "Donwtown/Suburban" divide exists in Scarborough as well and if the EELRT isn't built than it will only get worse. DeBaermaker specifically is himself the same type of "Downtown Elite" he seems to vilify every chance he gets, however the downtown in this case is Downtown Scarborough. To him Scarborough ends at Bellamy. Whats more disgusting though is the fact that the politicians who are supposed to represent the people of eastern scarborough let this happen, time and time again.

Back