News   Jul 30, 2024
 638     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 612     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
Richview is in essence a clean slate, or as close to one as you're going to get in the 416. Why leave development over a trenched subway up to piecemeal development? Create a cohesive secondary plan that encorporates the subway into the design.

Virtually every successful neighbourhood was developed piecemeal. Jane Jacobs was right.

Virtually every successful neighbourhood was developed piecemeal. Jane Jacobs was right.

Except for St. Lawerence, the Distillery District Redevelopment, Cornell, CityPlace, St. Jamestown, the Regent Park Revitalization, Thornecliffe Park, Don Mills, etc... Who needs a Secondary Plan anyway?

I do agree with Jane Jacobs on a lot of her principles, but her principles do not preclude Secondary plans for an area that, in order to be truly successful and maximize cost-effectiveness (why dig a hole, fill overtop of it, and then dig another hole right beside it 5 years later?), a comprehensive secondary plan needs to be developed. I'm not saying the whole thing needs to be built right off the bat, just have it planned out a little bit. Begin with the end in mind, and then take the necessary steps to ge there.

Except for St. Lawerence, the Distillery District Redevelopment, Cornell, CityPlace, St. Jamestown, the Regent Park Revitalization, Thornecliffe Park, Don Mills, etc... Who needs a Secondary Plan anyway?

Well you might notice that many of the most successful parts of St. Lawrence have a heavy admixture of old buildings. The Distillery District is effectively an outdoor mall with a single owner. I'd hardly call Regent Park, Thorncliffe Park, and St. Jamestown (or, in different ways, Cityplace and Don Mills) the most successful neighbourhoods. In fact, I might go so far as to say that they're some of Toronto's least successful neighbourhoods.

I do agree with Jane Jacobs on a lot of her principles, but her principles do not preclude Secondary plans for an area that, in order to be truly successful and maximize cost-effectiveness (why dig a hole, fill overtop of it, and then dig another hole right beside it 5 years later?), a comprehensive secondary plan needs to be developed. I'm not saying the whole thing needs to be built right off the bat, just have it planned out a little bit. Begin with the end in mind, and then take the necessary steps to ge there.

Actually her principles preclude exactly that. She strongly believes that the most successful neighbourhoods develop organically over time without planning intervention. The very thing that got her active in urban issues was her opposition to master planned megaproject "neighbourhoods."

Well you might notice that many of the most successful parts of St. Lawrence have a heavy admixture of old buildings. The Distillery District is effectively an outdoor mall with a single owner. I'd hardly call Regent Park, Thorncliffe Park, and St. Jamestown (or, in different ways, Cityplace and Don Mills) the most successful neighbourhoods. In fact, I might go so far as to say that they're some of Toronto's least successful neighbourhoods.

Actually her principles preclude exactly that. She strongly believes that the most successful neighbourhoods develop organically over time without planning intervention. The very thing that got her active in urban issues was her opposition to master planned megaproject "neighbourhoods."

And yet large areas of masterplanned suburban Toronto like Don Mills are safe and comfortable places to live with different housing options and employment opportunities. Jane Jacobs made significant points in challenging the notion that masterplanning could build inherently better communities, and brilliantly fought to defend the neighbourhoods which had developed organically and to assert their strengths. But I don't think we should discount masterplanning, because all around the world and in our backyards there are examples of it working fine.

Well, it depends on what you call 'success', junctionist. JJ was probably talking about urban vibrancy, street life, a mixture of incomes and a diversity of services within a walkable distance. Don Mills is successful insofar as the area has high property values and the people who live there generally like it, but according to the JJ definition, it probably doesn't cut the mustard.

There's places where master-planning works good enough, but there aren't many places where it has a direct hand in creating thriving neighbourhoods.

One can actually argue that typical suburbia, which is subdivided and built somewhat 'organically' by a slew of developers and builders, often fails because it is underplanned compared to a place like Don Mills. Almost invariably, neighbourhood units and other sorts of development models are carelessly applied to the suburbs when applied in large doses. Toronto was incredibly fortunate to have received the suburbs it did, with apartment clusters and plazas in walking distance and good bus service and compact houses and few gated communities and so on, and all of this viable out on the fringe even as the fringe creeps into cornfields. There's a few south/east American-style subdivisions with acre-sized lots and forests in between each house/street, but they tend to be wealthy 'executive home' ghettos like parts of Caledon and Aurora.

Of course, this does not disprove Jane Jacobs.

As for Eglinton...

For one thing, a significant chunk of the Richview land will be consumed by road widenings to accommodate the LRT, bike lanes, sidewalks, trees, Michigan Lefts, etc., and there won't be a heck of a lot of land left to develop, particularly where Eglinton runs in the middle of the corridor.

A trench can be covered or left open (and we wouldn't even want a trench fully covered). There won't be a solid block of towers built over it - even downtown Toronto is not entirely covered by towers. Parking lots and tennis courts and fountains and Tim Hortons will cover much of it. You can't develop over LRT running in the middle of the road, or the sidewalks or anything else.

Perhaps in some theoretical situations it would be preferable to have transit running under Eglinton, but we're talking about what's practical, not what's ideal. It'd be silly to run in the middle of Eglinton when a huge empty corridor sits a few metres away. A trench isn't the only option and people that bring up the 'continuum' of grade-separation are correct - trenches are a perfectly feasible and affordable and desirable option in some places, particularly if built so that the platforms are extremely close in elevation to the sidewalk.

If I'm not mistaken, the area south of Bloor was basically entirely cut and cover; they dug under the road and built the subway there, then paved back over. If I'm not mistaken, that's why there are all the vents on Yonge south of Bloor.

You are mistaken. The subway doesn't run under the roadway between Eglinton and a point between Wellesley and College.

Most sections of the Young line that have been deck over can't handle the weight of a car. This is why there isn't any major development on top of it. If we want to be able to deck over a Eglinton-crosstown trench than the TTC has to-do a better job on reinforcing the decking.

Developers don't build on top of existing decking. Developers would put in their own supports designed to specifically hold the weight of whatever they are building. The cost of the TTC building a trench or cut and cover with decking to support whatever a developer could possibly put on top of it would be similar to boring a tunnel. The point being made is that having to work around a subway on a property to create a development prevents developments from being created on all but the most valuable properties. Putting the subway under the street opens up more properties to developments that would not occur otherwise.

You are mistaken. The subway doesn't run under the roadway between Eglinton and a point between Wellesley and College.
Though he is correct though, from Bloor to Union the Yonge line is cut-and-cover where it is under Yonge street. Which is most of the way from Wellesley to Front. I thought the parts that weren't under Yonge for this stretch were also cut-and-cover ... but I may be wrong on that.

Though he is correct though, from Bloor to Union the Yonge line is cut-and-cover where it is under Yonge street. Which is most of the way from Wellesley to Front. I thought the parts that weren't under Yonge for this stretch were also cut-and-cover ... but I may be wrong on that.

The entire thing from Bloor to Union was cut and cover. From Bloor to just south of Wellesley was cut and cover east of Yonge, and from just north of College to Union was directly under Yonge (aside from the little bit going into Union). I've seen the historical photos. Yonge south of College was dug out, and decked over with a temporary surface while work continued underneath.

Those studies actually seriously studied all of the different mode options and made a recommendation based on real cost/benefit analysis. It wasn't as sophisticated as some of the studies we've seen in Europe recently, but it's still quite impressive. For example, on Eglinton subway, BRT, and LRT were all studied. A subway was deemed to be unnecessary in that corridor and BRT was recommended, with provision for upgrade to LRT. That's right--LRT. It doesn't really jive with the anti-LRT conspiracy history of planning in Toronto, but it's right there in black and white (and red, curiously) if you read the study.

I guess that makes everyone who calls for nothing less than a subway on Eglinton a loony.

I guess that makes everyone who calls for nothing less than a subway on Eglinton a loony.

It's loony to spend $5 billion on LRT for 30 kilometres of 66% surface, road-median ROW when 24 kms of subways from PIA to the DVP can be built along the same corridor for around $4 billion. What's so special about the Golden Mille car-oriented country- the only neglected area - that road-median LRT is the only mode suitable?

Destinations like the airport, ACC, Mount Dennis/Weston, York, Yonge-Eglinton, Leaside and Wynford Hts cannot make do with trams that'll only show up every five minutes and lack the capacity to handle the eventual ridership demands that'll come with linking intravenously these urban growth and employment centres. Furthermore, as a subway we can interline train services with the DRL into the downtown core- doing away with the need for TARL, disrupting the Community of Weston, the need for a future Lawrence West-Dixon LRT, etc. Plus it alleviates B-D from the north because riders will have greater incentive to transfer onto a train meeting it within a weatherproof fare-paid zone than a streetcar with minimal methods of fare payment and awaiting arrivals standing in an exposed bus shelter. It's just common sense.

Eglinton subway expansion fixes so many problems, it's amazing just how far things have deteriorated in the wrong direction since the days when construction actually began on an Eglinton West subway line.

It's loony to spend $5 billion on LRT for 30 kilometres of 66% surface, road-median ROW when 24 kms of subways from PIA to the DVP can be built along the same corridor for around $4 billion.

Stop saying this. It undermines your argument. Unless you can come up with an in-depth study by experts that analyzes the route, your "$4 billion" is just a fantasy number.

It's not my assessment. It was the professional, detailed and thorough study conducted for the 2011 plan, the last good plan to be made for metro, and it considered all options without bias!

Back