News   Jul 30, 2024
 77     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 735     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 534     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
Hey it's not me that sold it as a 'Crosstown' line to replace a proposed subway. If they are suggesting that it's supposed get people out of their cars and be used as an alternative for actual crosstown whether that from Scarborough to the airport or Etobicoke to STC for work, if it fails to pull people out of their cars in the 'Crosstown' scenarios, it's a failure. After all, that's the only reason we are building a full length LRT to replace the short previously proposed subway.

You're kind of compressing the timeline. The Eglinton Subway was killed. Then nothing happened for a decade. Then Transit City was proposed which included a route across Eglinton. Hell, it wasn't even for certain that it would connect with the airport until recently.

It wasn't like the subway plan was withdrawn and replaced with an LRT plan - the subway was clearly nowhere near happening after the cancellation in '95.

I object to the idea that people will only get out of their cars if public transit will get them where they need to go just as fast. Nothing short of an express GO train would get someone from Etobicoke to STC as fast as a car on a day with no traffic accidents.

People will get out of their cars for lots of reasons, even if it means a longer trip time. It happens all the time.

As for ridership. Again look at the bar set by the TTC. They aren't looking for a huge growth over current bus routes, like they do when they build subways. If this LRT carries as many riders as the buses on the Eglinton they will declare it a success and go home. But is that standard worth 5 billion bucks?

I think they'd absolutely want to see growth in ridership over the current buses. Surely the TTC has some ridership targets in mind - have they been published?

Another interesting aspect of the Canada line is just how thin those elevated guideway supports are. This could fit in on most suburban arterials, especially ones like Don Mills that don't have any streetfront uses.

Remember that the dimensions of the Canada line vehicles are the same as TTC subway cars. They're bigger than the standard Skytrains.

2612.jpg

Geez! Can we trade in our politicians for Vancouver's? A change in brass and ideology may actually garner real results for Torontonians. I could picture something like this carrying T1s no prob, as the elevated guideways over the 401 between Yorkdale and Wilson Stns are quite similar.

I object to the idea that people will only get out of their cars if public transit will get them where they need to go just as fast. Nothing short of an express GO train would get someone from Etobicoke to STC as fast as a car on a day with no traffic accidents.

Don't change the argument. No one said public transit has to be AS FAST as the car (because it never will be). But it has to be faster than it is now. And Transit City is NOT addressing that need. People WILL get out of their cars for a subway. For a slow-moving streetcar? Not so much.

The point is, if you're going to spend BILLIONS on Eglinton, you should do it right and have the outer portions grade separated since you could just trench it in places. Then the speed would be the same throughout the whole line, and no one would really care if it was "subway" or "LRT" (except of course, subway cars are cheaper than LRVs).

First of all, you misrepresented some of my statements. I did not suggest "Finch-Albion LRT", and do not know what the heck it is. I know what Finch West LRT is, but it is irrelevant for the debate about Eglinton.

Likewise, I did not support TARL in its present form.

You brought up Finch LRT as an alternative that riders from the north will utilize instead of travelling southwards to B-D, so it’s totally relevant to the discussion. What you fail to realize however is that west of Martin Grove, Eglinton as subway could transition up to Dixon Road for a direct pathway into the airport. This means that the residents of Rexdale and students of Humber College and gamblers of Woodbine and mall goers of the Albion Centre, et all may find it all the more convenient to simply take the 191 down to the Eglinton-DRL interlined subway for a one-seat ride into the downtown.

I never said that you uttered those words specifically but rather that your reply was exemplar of the mindset that fails to see through the veiled smoke and mirrors of TTC bureaucracy, no offense. Transit City has its merit along some corridors e.g. Waterfront, Jane and Don Mills; albeit with a complete overhaul of HOW these lines are built. But for others like Eglinton anything less than a subway is immoral. Eglinton today already exceeds the hourly passenger demands that the overloaded Bloor-Danforth streetcar had prior to the inauguration of metro there. Twin with that its ability to supplant the right away necessity for TARL, Midtown GO, Sheppard West extension, Finch all the way to Pearson, etc. and we’ve more than enough reasons to back this winner. I agree with your last point that some of the aforementioned projects have utility other than to bolster Eglinton, but the solution can also find itself via other means (PART to Malton GO, Finch H.C. BRT, Union-Pearson GO bus shuttle, more frequent scheduling of the 196E). At least you admit that Eglinton mass transit is what's needed the most after the DRL though.

Secondly, yes I agree that LRT is somewhat inferior mode for Eglinton route. However, I believe that LRT, while being substantially cheaper, will accomplish the majority of tasks that a subway would. Therefore, LRT is the best choice, as it will not compete for funding with other urgent priorities, such as DRL.

"Some" of the Eglinton corridor can accomodate cheaper construction, not "most" of it. I think that 10 km out of 30 would be an optimistic estimate.

When will the deception stop? Nothing outside of the central tunnel has to be underground for a significant length of time. Everywhere from Pearson to just east of Royal York Rd; the Humber River to Mt Dennis Stn; Black Creek to Trethewey; and Brentcliffe to the DVP can be done via a mix of at-grade (trenched) and elevated guideways including bridge crossings. To say these portions of track will amount to $300 million when Vancouver was able to build its entire Canada Line for $190 million per kilometre (NB: that’s with over half the ROW being underground including major river crossings) is overanalyzing what the rates of inflation in five years will look like, not to mention the criteria being used to justify what is nothing more than a mere suggested total figure. What are TTC consultants basing this estimate on?

It is true that Eglinton could save something on station costs (only Don Mills, Jane, Kipling, and the airport would need big stations). But this route has its share of other challenges:
- 3 highways: 404, 401, 427
- 4 rivers: East Don, West Don, Black Creek, Humber
- crossing old central part of the city with its numerous utility lines (I suspect that has added to the projected cost of Eglinton LRT tunnel)
- complex wyes for service connections to Spadina and/or Yonge lines

Solution:
  • rail overpasses (bridges);
  • ditto (you left out Mimico Creek, btw);
  • deep tunnel bore (seeing as the line will exceed the depth of the Bradford GO corridor, it will definitely exceed 10m and be well clear of buried infrastructure);
  • Eglinton Stn already has crossover tracks and storage tracks in place to accommodate the passage of not-in-service trainsets. How complex can it be to apply a north-to-west/south-to-east track configuration between Davisville and Eglinton? Just widen out the Berwick portal and have the Eglinton cars enter via the Davisville Buildup without ever having to disrupt service along the Yonge Line. Doing such may even result in a possible interlined service (eastbound Eglinton/southbound Yonge serving Davisville Stn southwards). The Spadina Line’s an easier fix as the right-of-way’s through the Allen and there’s a storage track between Lawrence West and Glencairn. Just have that dip underneath the ROW and swing trains either southbound-to-westbound or eastbound-to-northbound to Wilson Yard.

So, I think that $200 million/kilometre for the 10 km of "easy" Richview and East York sections, and $300 million/kilometre for the remaining 20 km, is not an overstatement (perhaps, an understatement). Adding up: $8 B, which is $3.4 B more than the allocated Eglinton LRT funding.

No, the opposite is true. The central tunnel bore, approximated at $183 million/km for 12 kilometres in 2007 dollars (which when factoring in forecasted inflation rates of 5.2% would equal to $192 million/km by 2013) would still only come to little over $2.3 billion. The tunnel will be built to have the capacity to house T1 trainsets. Only diff, Crosstown LRT stations designed at 90m platform lengths would now have to be standard 150m lengths, an add-on yes, but not excessive. And if the tunnel is supposed to be the most expensive part of the proposal, ergo, how can the rest of alignment outdoors be any more expensive per kilometre?

I emphasize again, not to take the exaggerated claims of the TTC so literally when they are known for aggrandizement and thrifty spending of the public purse.

You're kind of compressing the timeline. The Eglinton Subway was killed. Then nothing happened for a decade. Then Transit City was proposed which included a route across Eglinton. Hell, it wasn't even for certain that it would connect with the airport until recently.

It wasn't like the subway plan was withdrawn and replaced with an LRT plan - the subway was clearly nowhere near happening after the cancellation in '95.

Just because the plan was killed by anti-transit premier does not make it a bad plan or anything that could not be implemented today. And it was the goal of this city right until Miller unleashed TC. Indeed, the whole subway program that the city had planned would have been viable if we had applied the true price tag of Transit City right from the start. Instead, LRT was sold to the public as a cheap substitute. If you talk to the average person in the suburbs, that's how fast they are expecting these things to be. They aren't expecting streetcar speeds. How disappointed do you think they are going to be when they are saving mere minutes on their bus ride?

I object to the idea that people will only get out of their cars if public transit will get them where they need to go just as fast.

It's reality whether you like it or not. That's why people drive in the suburbs. It's not that anybody is anti-transit in the suburbs like we are painted out to be. I haven't met a person yet that does not want more transit in the suburbs. But they want to at least come close to the speed of driving during rush hour. They understand that it won't beat a car during the off-peak, but if it's reasonably quick they'll take transit. You can object to the idea but for me that's the truth as a I soon it after a decade and a half growing up in Scarborough.

Nothing short of an express GO train would get someone from Etobicoke to STC as fast as a car on a day with no traffic accidents.

And that's exactly what they need. Ideally, we'd have a fully integrated GO network and short LRTs and bus routes feeding the GO and subway networks.

People will get out of their cars for lots of reasons, even if it means a longer trip time. It happens all the time.

The only reasons I know of that somebody does not use their car are as follows: transit is easier during rush hour, parking is expensive at their destination, they plan on drinking at their destination and won't be able to drive back. Other than that, if somebody can afford a car in the suburbs, they'll have one and they'll use it. I see nothing in Transit City to change that unless the person lives within a 5 minute walk of one of these LRT stops. Do you really think somebody on Finch East is or Ellesmere is going to head north or south to catch the Sheppard East LRT? Or that somebody is going to hike from Lawrence to Eglinton to catch the LRT if they are going anything less than half the length of the city?

I think they'd absolutely want to see growth in ridership over the current buses. Surely the TTC has some ridership targets in mind - have they been published?

It seems to me that their projected ridership numbers (which they publish for each route as 2021 on the TC website) is largely the sum of bus routes inflated by a decade. The Sheppard East EA actually admitted that a subway would attract 2000 more riders per hour. The Metrolinx Sheppard East-Finch West BCA admits that a subway captures more riders as well. It also included a note that service reliability of LRTs cannot be guaranteed and that you can expect variability of 10% or more. That's not going to help convince anybody to ditch their car.

Oh not at all. I think it would be perfectly fine. Yeah, there'd be disruption, but certainly no more than we've seen on St. Clair. Eglinton, while it does have some businesses, is also less of a shopping street than Cambie. It would be crazy to waste hundreds of millions of dollars because of a couple million dollars in lost sales at a few stores. Compensate them if necessary and be done with it.

I'm not concerned by the stores so much as the lack of alternative parallel routes. Just the loss of Eglinton bus service alone will destory thousands of commutes. Unless you can think of an alternative (run the bus through forest hill neighbourhood streets, perhaps?)

Could we have something like this on Eglinton?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:paris_metro_aerial_station_dsc00849.jpg

This is the Paris Metro line 6, which is elevated along much of its length. Line 2 is similar. Business seems to be doing just fine along this route. Proof that an elevated line does not have to be ugly and does not kill business along its route.

See for yourself on Google Street View. This is at the La Motte-Picquet-Grenelle station.

That has always been my problem with Miller...

Anything outside downtown is not worth spending on...
Subway technology might be expensive but it's easy to forget on purpose what you get in return.

If you look at Sheppard-Yonge, NYCC, and Sheppard ave East....There was nothing there...
Subways was expensive, sure!

But all those new developments and high rise:

-Revitalized the neighbourhood
-Gave prestige to the city
-And the most important thing...new taxes revenues will be beneficial in the long term.

A subway on Eglington would do the same. Not only get people out of their cars, but attract new residents, business...new taxes revenues.

There is so many ''unused space'' in Toronto... Filling the holes gives you extra tax income, extra jobs, high rise etc...
You need to convince people to move there....

No first class city takes ''ONLY'' ridership into account before building rapid transit. If Sheppard can put to shame many ''longer lines'' on other subway system across the world, Imagine...just imagine what could Eglinton for the city.

Miller lacked vision or he didn't realize that we didn't live in Europe.

Sorry, I just insulted the Europeens...They did it right...
They built a complete subway system and then invested in LRT.

Miller is using LRT to replace subway which is WRONG...

Instead of Sheppard and Eglinton as LRT

Islington, Wilson/York Mills/Ellesmere, Lawrence, Dufferin would have been better alternative.

Anything outside downtown is not worth spending on...
What are you talking about? He's been pushing $10-billion of transit upgrades in North York and Scarborough. I see nothing being spent downtown except maintenance.

And rapid transit happened to not cross his mind...
They'll be fine at 22kph
The bulk of the money to be spent on lines is for 30 km/hr service in the Eglinton subway section of the Eglinton RT, the Spadina Subway extension, and the SRT upgrade and extension. Though the bulk of the new km is from the slower LRT service (that alone should tell you something!).

Miller lacked vision or he didn't realize that we didn't live in Europe.
Revisionist history. Asking for $6B for a citywide transit network was visionary. I don't think he could have realized that we would end up with estimates of 22 km/h.

More importantly, when TC was first being talked about, there was no Metrolinx and no MoveOntario 2020. After the Harris years, talking about any kind of transit investment was risky. The idea was to do something that could be built less expensively per kilometre than subway, so that we could at least get some improvements done rather than sitting and waiting forever for the cash flow to come.

He couldn't anticipate that the provincial coffers would open up. Fair enough. The failure was in continuing down this path without recognizing that we have a more transit friendly government and a greater consensus that Toronto needs transit investment.

What Transit City fails to recognize is the difference between primary and secondary corridors, and what type of transit is suitable for each. Primary corridors (Yonge, Don Mills, Eglinton, Sheppard, Bloor, etc) deserve grade-separated rapid transit that allows for un-interrupted transit along the corridor. Secondary corridors (St. Clair, Finch, Lawrence, etc) need at the very minimum at-grade but dedicated lane rapid transit.

In order for a city/regions' transit network to be truly effective, it needs 3 things:
1) An efficient subway network that covers most of the city with a 3km span (ie no one is more than 3km away from a transit stop).
2) A well developed regional rail network that connects to the subway network at strategic locations to allow for an easy transfer from 1 mode to another.
3) A network of LRT/BRT that is complimentary (NOT a substitute) to the subway network, that allows for those along secondary corridors not within walking distance of a subway stop to reach that stop efficiently and quickly.

Toronto currently has half of #1 and #2, and seems hell bent on using #3 as a substitute for #1.

The bulk of the money to be spent on lines is for 30 km/hr service in the Eglinton subway section of the Eglinton RT, the Spadina Subway extension, and the SRT upgrade and extension. Though the bulk of the new km is from the slower LRT service (that alone should tell you something!).

I don't have a problem with ''how much'' he's spending...(which is barely the city's money)

I have a problem on ''how'' he's spending it.

10 billions? for how long? its already escalating. The project is not being handle efficiently and clearly lack vision and common sense.

How is LRT ***on major roads*** good of the population? Do you seriously believe people will leave their car for a streetcar? 22kph? along sheppard and Eglinton?

Have you tried Paris LRT? Those are being run like LRT.
Fast,absolute priority signals.

10 Billions for Streetcars run like St.Clair and Spadina is a complete waste of money. A major crosstown like Eglinton should be subway.

Miller didn't know that he would get the funds or it would be 22kph...fair enough. But he had more than enough time to

-Change his mind
-Improve the speed

Last edited:

Back