News   Jun 06, 2024
 236     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 329     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 548     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
As a side note, it is interesting to see what your position was 4 months ago, Scarberian. I had no idea you voted LRT.

I've never said Eglinton must be a subway...just that if we're going to spend so many billion dollars on a tunneled streetcar that stops at red lights, we might as well build a subway. Eglinton can clearly justify having a subway line in long term plans, but I don't place as high a priority on it as other transit projects, partly because its potential ridership is very much unknown.

The Eglinton LRT is vengeance against "the subway," retaliation for ripping up streetcar tracks decades ago. The city certainly did not study transit problems on Eglinton and conclude that LRT is the best option. If the city cares about its future at all, we must at least examine the subway option. I'd rather we plan for "good" transit instead of transit that's "good enough" to save a few dollars (dollars that won't be used on other transit projects, mind you). LRT could be "good" transit for Eglinton, but with Transfer City specs and at that cost...we're definitely veering into "good enough" territory that squanders potential. We should wait and plan Eglinton in a GTA-wide context, not in the context of rewarding light rail fans for years of hard times.

Rainforest

A transit allowance is a bad idea that does not address the needs of riders and regions and will be subject to the kind of extreme lobbying we see today. Until transit stops being an ideological, factional battle, a minister that supports one subway project will support another...at least, if they're told to do so. A government official could be told that light rail is the future and will support it ferociously, while another could be told that subways are too expensive and will go around opposing them at every opportunity, and another could be told that monorails are the best option (because the guy who told him has a brother that owns the monorail manufacturer or the owns land where stations will be located). Maybe an organization like Metrolinx will have full control over spending, but who's to say there won't be subway fanatics on it, or people that want BRT to Moosonee?

While no system can be totally immune to lobbying, a transit allowance would bring a certain rational component into the planning process.

How is the present system better? It is a complete anarchy, stakeholders just pushing their favorite projects with little regard of the overall network impact. The present system is very susceptible to lobbying, and simply cannot get any worse in that respect.

Just wonder if Metrolinx will be able to transform that mess into some semblance of order.

Limiting funding and removing the opportunity to pressure for more money would mean even more squabbling and lobbying over finite funds. Every neighbourhood or municipality will have to get its "fair share," not what it needs now or in the future.

Might I propose you make the group public? It's currently only open to members in Toronto, and this is of interest to people living outside the city as well.

Well none of the 905 cities have their own networks, so I'm not sure why it would affect people in say, Hamilton or Windsor or Ottawa.

Other than the Toronto, ON restriction, it is public.

EDIT: I also feel there's more credibility to it if it's restricted to Toronto. Having people from Vancouver or London or New York supporting a subway in Toronto really doesn't make much sense. It would just indicate a subway fanatic.

EDIT 2: That said, support from elsewhere in Ontario might actually make it more credible, as Ontario taxpayers would be paying for it. Unfortunately I don't believe there's a way to restrict a group to a province rather than a city.

Well none of the 905 cities have their own networks, so I'm not sure why it would affect people in say, Hamilton or Windsor or Ottawa.

Because maybe commuters might want to support it? Or people who visit the city frequently? I live in Hamilton, but I'm in Toronto once a month or so to visit friends in Scarborough. An Eglinton subway would be extremely useful to me in that situation, given how close they live to the proposed line (VP and Lawrence) and how long the ride to the subway is from there.

Because maybe commuters might want to support it? Or people who visit the city frequently? I live in Hamilton, but I'm in Toronto once a month or so to visit friends in Scarborough. An Eglinton subway would be extremely useful to me in that situation, given how close they live to the proposed line (VP and Lawrence) and how long the ride to the subway is from there.

I looked at settings, and I can't change the membership rules. Sorry :(

EDIT: I also feel there's more credibility to it if it's restricted to Toronto. Having people from Vancouver or London or New York supporting a subway in Toronto really doesn't make much sense. It would just indicate a subway fanatic.

EDIT 2: That said, support from elsewhere in Ontario might actually make it more credible, as Ontario taxpayers would be paying for it. Unfortunately I don't believe there's a way to restrict a group to a province rather than a city.

There are a lot of people who don't belong to the "Toronto, ON" network who may belong to networks like "York University", "Victoria Park Collegiate Institute", "Humber", etc. Someone might be from somewhere like Ottawa and stays in that regional network to connect with people back home but also goes to U of T - so living in Toronto does not always = in the Toronto network.

There are a lot of people who don't belong to the "Toronto, ON" network who may belong to networks like "York University", "Victoria Park Collegiate Institute", "Humber", etc. Someone might be from somewhere like Ottawa and stays in that regional network to connect with people back home but also goes to U of T - so living in Toronto does not always = in the Toronto network.

You have a good point. But unfortunately I can't change the settings now, as I already mentioned.

Unless someone knows how to edit the membership restrictions on a Facebook group

Compare with the "proposed" Queen LRT Subway from 1945

Click on this link to get the PDF.

One thing I noticed was that the platforms for the Queen streetcar/LRT subway were to be the same length (500 feet or 150 m) as a Yonge HRT subway platform, but utilize only 300 feet (92 m) at first. I think the Eglinton LRT subway will be built with the same allowances.

What about VAL? Toronto never really can have enough proprietary lines can it:))). Seriously though, they claim their new generation of VAL can handle capacities from 10,000 pphpd (w/one car trains) to 30,000 pphpd (w/six car train). That is right in the Eglinton corridor range right? You could start out running 2 car trains, and just keep expanding as service demanded it. It's computerized too, so you should be able to get some pretty solid headways (they claim 60 seconds).

http://www.euromedtransport.org/fileadmin/download/maincontract/Meed2006/meed2006_day2_siemens.pdf

I have no idea how the guide ways would handle winter running, could be worth a look though.

EDIT: As far as I am concerned, VAL is superior to ICTS. I mean, what are the advantages of the induction motors in the first place?

Secret plan to get people to exercise

It's a secret plan, by (insert name here), to get people to exercise more. If forced to walk a long distance to a station or stop, the side benefit is to get your legs to move more without having to use a treadmill in your home or gym. The longer walk the better.

Unless you own a gym, of course. Then, you'll prefer the stations or stops to be closer together, to have people come to your gym to complete their whatever minutes of exercise a day they need. And, of course, they will be driving to the gym, not walking.

Back