News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
No ... at times you can still see the track in place on Bloor and Danforth when they are doing roadworks. It was just a regular streetcar line.

Also, the streetcar tracks had cobblestones and not smoother cement. Cars would get a rough ride driving on the stones, forcing most to the side to avoid the stones. Unfortunately, nowadays, the smooth cement between the tracks allow cars to use the tracks to drive on.

^ During the days of Bloor streetcar line, the general traffic was not as bad as now. That's why the mixed-traffic streetcar line worked well and could run at high frequency. I can't imagine it working now.

These days, cars would run on cobblestone or anything, unless you explicitly prohibit them from entering the streetcar lane.

During the days of Bloor streetcar line, the general traffic was not as bad as now. That's why the mixed-traffic streetcar line worked well and could run at high frequency.
From what I've heard by 1966 traffic was far worse on Bloor and Danforth than it is now. Perhaps that was true in the 1940s.

^ I wonder if this is a perception thing ... people saw traffic in 1966 much worse than in 1960 and remembered that it was "bad"; then compare these-days traffic on Bloor (with subway providing relief) to traffic on suburban arterials that have no subway below, and see that Bloor's traffic is "tolerable".

The fact is that a very frequent Bloor streetcar line worked and was quite popular. I can't imagine Queen streetcar running on 1.5-min headways these days. They could as well write off those streetcars as vehicles, and treat them as hotels.

With streetcars that often, I'd imagine driving patterns would be pretty different. Driving on a streetcar route would mean always being stuck behind one, not just a chance of being stuck behind one.

Subway car: crashload capacity

Due to the outage on Monday, I was on a fully packed northbound University subway car. I counted the people in my quarter, both standees and those on seats, and got exactly 50.

Perhaps additional 5 or so could be squeezed in, but getting in / out was difficult even without them.

So, I think 200 per car is the practical capacity limit of the present subway cars. For T1s, maybe 220.

The new light rail vehicles will have about same external footprint as T1s. LRV will be longer, but not as wide as T1.

So, if they assume 200 or even 220 is the capacity limit for LRV, that might be reasonable. But 260 is hard to believe unless they get rid of many seats.

With streetcars that often, I'd imagine driving patterns would be pretty different. Driving on a streetcar route would mean always being stuck behind one, not just a chance of being stuck behind one.

In Melbourne, all 28 tram routes go through the CBD on six streets. The effect is that these streets have no more than 40 seconds between each tram. In consequence, general traffic can rarely enter the middle lane, and right turns have to be performed as hook-style turns from the left curb.

Ok, now I just don't know who to believe. According to Adam Giambrone the Peak ridership on the Eglinton LRT is 7000! http://torontoist.com/2010/06/rocket_talk_how_fast_does_light_rapid_transit_go.php

Even though this seems to be a more accurate number, I don't know why he's differing from the official ridership number of 5400. Or does the TTC know more than it is telling us?
I'd think he simply mis-spoke or there was a typo. The 5,000 to 5,400 is well documented in the EA. I wonder if there's something higher in the Metrolinx business case report for Eglinton ... which I don't think has seen the light of day yet.

Not sure your basis for saying that it seems more accurate ...

7000.. 5400.. It's still well within the range of LRT capacity. What's the big deal? Hell Giambrone claims the Yonge line will carry 45,000 passengers per hour with ATO.

Maybe this fixation with building subways along specific streets should be dropped, especially since subways are dependent on being built on ridership numbers a long specific streets are high enough in this city, and therefore don't get built.

I say more diagonal random routes with further apart stops that spiders out from downtown like many other cities do.

Back