News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 630     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 301     0 

Editorial: Appalling treatment Star pot calling the kettle..

A

Are Be

And this, from the biggest drum - beating hate based Canadian nationalist, constantly demanding we hate Americans.
The pot calling the kettle black...

Mar. 23, 2004. 01:00 AM
Editorial: Appalling treatment

Is it fair to boo a U.S.-born Grade 9 girl for carrying an American flag across a stage during a school multiculturalism parade?

Is it fair to insult and use obscene gestures against 11-year-old peewee hockey players from the Boston area because you don't like the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq?

Is there no limit to some Canadians' anti-American anger?

Those questions are being asked again on the one-year anniversary of the invasion of Iraq after a teenager was in tears after being loudly booed as she carried the American flag in a parade of 39 flags representing every nationality in the school.

No other flag was jeered at Wager High School, described as the most ethnically diverse in the English Montreal School Board. The 300-student school is in the heavily Jewish neighbourhood of Cote St. Luc.

Last March, U.S. peewee hockey players, aged 11 and 12, were jeered during a four-day trip to Montreal. People booed their national anthem, made rude gestures toward them, and pounded on the side of their bus.

Canadians upset with the U.S. role in Iraq should target their protests at the Bush administration.

But targeting young children, or any individual American, is just plain wrong and insulting — and shows a level of disrespect that should be appalling to all Canadians.

› Get 50% off home delivery of the Toronto Star.
FAQs| Site Map| Privacy Policy| Webmaster| Subscribe| My Subscription
Home| GTA| Business| Waymoresports| A&E| Life
Legal Notice: Copyright Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. All rights reserved. Distribution, transmission or republication of any material from www.thestar.com is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. For information please contact us using our webmaster form. www.thestar.com online since 1996.

Re: Editorial: Appalling treatment Star pot calling the kett

"And this, from the biggest drum - beating hate based Canadian nationalist, constantly demanding we hate Americans.
The pot calling the kettle black..."

:no:

I'm actually with Are Be on this one. The Star's having it both ways here.

No, it is not fair to boo - just because it is cheap and crass, and reeks of impoliteness.

Mind you, when it comes to snubs, these can hardly be compared to the various public instances I could think off right off my head. The upside down Canadian flag during the 92 world series, Bush's speech to the Congress, etc...

See my drift?

GB

Back