News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 734     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

East Don Trail Project

I was recently briefly excited upon encountering an active crew working beside the northernmost rail crossing, i.e. adjacent the road to/from Bermondsey. I spoke with the guys and it turns out they were stringing protective nets for errant balls from the golf course (Flemingdon I believe it is called). One of them mentioned that the golf course had recently been sold and there were plans for it to be redeveloped. The poles for the nets are now in place and some of the netting is hung but not strung. I am not sure what it is intended to protect, but it would be shielding the theoretical bridge over the rail sub. Maybe trains in the meantime are actually getting hit by golf balls.

The proposal to redevelop the golf course, and donate most of it as new parkland is public.

UT has a thread on it, here:

Last edited:
Reactions: PL1
We biked from the Forks to the second bridge today and got onto it but then decided it was not worth going down the ladder at the north end ... Very nice trail and I hope they get on with it, it really has taken a LONG time! Here we are looking north/

IMG_2244.JPG

and looking south again

IMG_2245.JPG

It would be good to see a CLEAR map of the whole trail, the TRCA site is filled with dead links and partial maps.

I got this from the Project Team. As expected, it is delayed!

We are in the midst of updating the project website as the project has been delayed further. TRCA in partnership with the City of Toronto has retained a specialized General Contractor for the construction of the pedestrian-cycle bridge and tunnel infrastructure across the Metrolinx rail line to complete Phase 1 of the East Don Trail Project (Forks of the Don to Bermondsey). As part of the proposed works, the General Contractor is required to submit technical workplans for review and approval to Metrolinx. The review timelines have taken a considerably longer amount of time than anticipated and has impacted the implementation of the work into 2024. Restrictions on construction along the Metrolinx rail line during the winter months is also a factor. However, I am happy to report that the pedestrian-cycle bridge work has commenced on-site and is scheduled to be complete in Spring 2024. TRCA is continuing to work with Metrolinx to secure track closure dates in 2024 for the installation of the tunnel and have expedited the fabrication and delivery of the tunnel to the site to mitigate further delays in 2024. As these works are completed, the final components including approach ramps, grading, and paving will be scheduled shortly after to finalize the formal trail connections.

Yup. It's to get over the GO corridor, and is the main cause of why this project is so insanely delayed. The TRCA initially envisioned a level crossing of the corridor and Metrolinx said no far too late into the process to avoid massive delays, plus now you get these ridiculous structures.

Back