News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.6K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 695     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

East Don Trail Project

I mentioned in my photos that the (mostly) dry creek bed once contained more flowing water, and originated much further east.

Here is a screen cap from 'Lost Rivers' showing that.

The blue line is the creek bed as it is today, more or less.

The orange line is where it used to be.

The bold grey line on the right hand side of the picture is modern day Victoria Park Avenue.

1604966210651.png

From here: http://www.lostrivers.ca/disappearing.html

The section that disappeared, was last seen on 1931 maps of the area; in 1932 it had been removed.

Walking through phase 2 today. Not bad. They still have some work today and things to clean up but overall I found the trail to be decent.

Does anyone know when phase 3 will open? I can't seem to find any info... Even on the official website.

Phase 1 is still under construction. Better to say no progress being done this year. Metrolinx has still to procure the tunnel word under the rail.

Very sad, that it is taking that long.

I doubt Phase 3 is even really considered being built.

First a 2-part update:

1651457631037.png

Second, the pre-qualification portion of the tender is in fact out

1651457712302.png

1651457781402.png

From: https://www.merx.com/solicitations/...dge-in-Metrolinx-Corridor/0000221636?origin=0

Finally, I know @robmausser has been following this project intently, and has, understandably, grown a tad impatient with its pace.

In light of that, when I saw this photo from the time the project was first under consideration, I felt the need to post it:

1651457902553.png

Sourced from the Facebook group Friends who Like Vintage Toronto in a post by John Carlson

Yes, this is a real pic, Bala Sub, just north south of the CP mainline bridge over the East Don. (corrected per @smallspy )

Last edited:
In light of that, when I saw this photo from the time the project was first under consideration, I felt the need to post it:

View attachment 397217
Sourced from the Facebook group Friends who Like Vintage Toronto in a post by John Carlson

Yes, this is a real pic, Bala Sub, just north of the CP mainline bridge over the East Don.
Nitpick - that's south of the CPR bridge, looking north. There are no bridges on the Bala Sub to the north until the line crosses over the DVP.

You can just about make out the road down the hill from Wynford Park which still exists as the park access.

Dan

First a 2-part update:

View attachment 397214

Second, the pre-qualification portion of the tender is in fact out

View attachment 397215

View attachment 397216
From: https://www.merx.com/solicitations/...dge-in-Metrolinx-Corridor/0000221636?origin=0

Finally, I know @robmausser has been following this project intently, and has, understandably, grown a tad impatient with its pace.

View attachment 397217

Yes, this is a real pic, Bala Sub, just north south of the CP mainline bridge over the East Don. (corrected per @smallspy )

Yes finally! Let's hope the section from the Gatineau corridor to this is built at the same time so it can all be done sometime in 2023

Though I agree with the sentiment, that bridge is likely in the section that is not currently open so they are trespassing.
The trail isn't officially open but the access gate at the Forks is clearly wide open with no fence or "trail closed" sign, which does make uninformed people curious to see what's up there.

The trail isn't officially open but the access gate at the Forks is clearly wide open with no fence or "trail closed" sign, which does make uninformed people curious to see what's up there.
The whole area that the East Don Trail is going in has been an unofficial human made trail as well for as long as I can remember. Gonna be pretty hard to get people to stop going there even now.

Reactions: DSC
The whole area that the East Don Trail is going in has been an unofficial human made trail as well for as long as I can remember. Gonna be pretty hard to get people to stop going there even now.
Trails plural. I've cut a couple of the trails in there in the past, and have helped on others.

This is just going to be another one to add to the bunch - when they finally decide to get around to finishing it.

(Of course, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that Metrolinx is the hold-up to it.)

Dan

Back