News   May 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     1 

East Danforth

You know...I have a friend who lives in the area and after dark...it still is a dodgy area. I can name off the places that are either Crack dens, or have allowed drug users to well...use drugs on their premises. Walking through their at night is pretty frightening, and it has everything to do with I believe the scattering of individuals from regent park into the neighbouring low income housing.

Now not to come off as Namby or anything but it used to be a quiet area a couple of years ago. It has suddenly come off the rails and desperately needs some community centres or an increased police presence.

That and the crack addicts walking around at night willing and asking to do anything to get some 'rock', kinda gets me going.

I don't know if if Woodbine and Danforth qualifies as 'East Danforth' but a walk last night found a store display with this old school mannequin.

DSCF1037.jpg
DSCF1038.jpg

Donlands Station

I am jumping on this thread as I am looking for information about Donlands Station. I use Victoria Park Station and am glad to report that the construction has begun for the Station Modernization Program. The construction company, Ellis Don, is putting temporary bus bays where the existing parking lot is, so the parking lot will lose a few spots during construction. Once the temp. bus bay is ready they will be able to tear down the old upper seperated bus bays and begin constructing the much more commuter friendly Vic. Park Station with all bus bays on the same level, on floor down from the subway and I will be able to wait for my bus indoors one day in the future.

I had the day off today and was walking by Donlands Station and saw that they are constructing something there, the bus bays are all boarded off, I didn't have time to check it out and I don't know where the 83 and 56 buses are stopping during construction. I don't even know what kind of work is going on as I didn't have time to stop. If anyone has any info. on what is going on please let me know- I appreciate all the improvements the TTC is doing for this transit system.

I am jumping on this thread as I am looking for information about Donlands Station. I had the day off today and was walking by Donlands Station and saw that they are constructing something there, the bus bays are all boarded off, I didn't have time to check it out and I don't know where the 83 and 56 buses are stopping during construction. I don't even know what kind of work is going on as I didn't have time to stop. If anyone has any info. on what is going on please let me know- I appreciate all the improvements the TTC is doing for this transit system.

The TTC website reports: Donlands Station Bus Loop Closed for Rehabilitation
As part of the Toronto Transit Commission’s ongoing state of good repair program, beginning on August 25, 2008, the bus loop at Donlands Station will be closed for concrete pavement rehabilitation work. The project is scheduled for completion by early December 2008. See: http://www3.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Construction/Donlands_station.jsp

You know...I have a friend who lives in the area and after dark...it still is a dodgy area. I can name off the places that are either Crack dens, or have allowed drug users to well...use drugs on their premises. Walking through their at night is pretty frightening, and it has everything to do with I believe the scattering of individuals from regent park into the neighbouring low income housing.
That's odd - crime rates seem relatively low compared to many parts of the city. I've never thought twice about wandering down Danforth.

There are certain "blocks" on the Danforth I'd avoid after eleven:

Caithness to Greenwood
Coxwell intersection
East Lynne Park
Morton to Main Steet intersection (& Main Square)

Still, I'd take a 2:00 AM stroll through Main & Danforth before a Queen & Sherbourne crawl, any day. As far as crack houses? I certainly know of none around Donlands, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or two around Main or Vic Park.

Though the East York part of Dawes Road always had that crack-housey vibe to it...

There are certain "blocks" on the Danforth I'd avoid after eleven:

Caithness to Greenwood
Coxwell intersection
East Lynne Park
Morton to Main Steet intersection (& Main Square)
Really ... I'm often around the Coxwell intersection well after 11 pm. Never once saw anything that would concern me. When I read the crime reports in the local papers, half the time, the incidents occur in broad daylight.

This live in fear thing always disturbs me - and confounds me. Far more people are killed simply crossing the street in Toronto, than by strangers on the street.

I am fine on East Danforth at night but, my wife is very nervous, in fact she will not go there at night anymore.

Just a note about East Lynn Park - you can tell it's safe at night pretty easily - parents leave lots of toys there over night. You wouldn't see that anywhere where there would be concerns about stuff getting stolen or damaged.

Thanks for the tidbit, Joe. I always thought the park was different night versus day.... farmers markets in the morning and stabbings at dawn.... a friend of mine was mugged there a few years ago so if its improved, all the better.

Dawn - so that's near the end of rush-hour these days :) Sigh, I'm tired of walking to the subway in the dark in the morning, and from it in the dark in the afternoon.

Heh, those farmers market vendors and muggers are one in the same... $5 for local organic arugula!? Thievery!!

Back