News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

East Bayfront: Bayside (Waterfront Toronto/Hines/Tridel, Pelli Clark Pelli et al)

If you want the latest - from the March WT Investment and Real Estate Committee meeting:

1618610888830.png

1618610903091.png

AoD

Bayside getting an Organic Garage supermarket, 4th Quarter this year.

I'm going to guess it will be for the huge south facing space in Aquavista.
Anyone know what's happened/happening with this? My wife and I were saying that seemed like a good spot for another grocer (though we were hoping for TnT since the Cherry one is kaput).

Anyone know what's happened/happening with this? My wife and I were saying that seemed like a good spot for another grocer (though we were hoping for TnT since the Cherry one is kaput).

Organic Garage pulled out; so they aren't coming.

T&T is going in to the former Loblaws City Market space on College; they won't be here, in all likelihood.

First Capital appears to still be marketing the lease; so it's likely vacant for the next several months anyway.

Last edited:
That looks pretty cool. It reminds me of this Nancy Rubins sculpture in London:

However, it looks like a potential safety hazard and I don't see Toronto bureaucrats going for it.

I walked around here yesterday and the trees lining the promenade are indeed in big trouble. From the looks of it, close to 90% of them appear to be dying from some disease. I'd be surprised if any of them are salvageable at this point. Such a shame.

I walked around here yesterday and the trees lining the promenade are indeed in big trouble. From the looks of it, close to 90% of them appear to be dying from some disease. I'd be surprised if any of them are salvageable at this point. Such a shame.
The ones over by Pier 27 aren't looking in the best shape as well, at least when I saw them last Friday. A lot of them are yellowing and look worn out.

I'm no tree expert but it has been a very hot and dry summer - hopefully it's just stress from the heat and nothing too serious
No, they are indeed dying from a disease(at least the ones in East Bayfront). Waterfront Toronto and city are aware and were considering a treatment plan, but nothing has been done yet.

No, they are indeed dying from a disease(at least the ones in East Bayfront). Waterfront Toronto and city are aware and were considering a treatment plan, but nothing has been done yet.
From the looks of them, I wouldn't be surprised if they're replaced in the spring. Real shame.

They may just be defoliating, we can't be sure. The pest that's on them draws down their energy and the trees move to early dormancy (or, they die)....
I can't assess their condition at this point.

What will be looked for once winter kicks in is live buds on the trees to determine if they'll come back.

I imagine (but don't know) that WT is thinking they will recover next year.

Because I can tell you wholesale removal and replacement of all the trees on the promenade would be at least a high six-figure and probably 7-figure job.
You're over 100 trees, some of them quite large, and to replant, you'd have to remove some of the brick and at least grind, but probably excavate the stumps.
On top of another ~$500 per tree installed for replacement. (more if you want larger trees).

Lets try and be optimistic.

Back