News   Jul 02, 2024
 634     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 700     0 

Earthquakes 2010 and 2011!

Felt here in East York ( eastern part thereof); err maybe felt isn't quite the right word.

I was walking around my home office, (3rd floor of a mid-rise) and suddenly the windows started to rattle.

My first thought was a contractor working on something in the parking lot; I went to the window with it still shaking and looked outside, couldn't see anything, a few seconds later it was over.

I thought it strange, but didn't make the connection to a quake. Only a mild vibration in the floor if any and only next to the windows.

I saw the headline a few minutes ago, looked at the time, and put 2+2 together.

P.S. is running into the streets when you are working a concrete-steel reinforced building such a great idea? I'm thinking the most likely damage would be windows falling out and down to street level.......just a thought.

OMG, I totally felt it, it was so weird. I jumped up and wasn't sure what it was, I thought I was having a stroke. lol Then I realized it was an earthquake.

I was eating lunch in a basement restaurant near U of T. When I emerged, all of U of T was evacuated from their buildings. I asked a passerby what was going on and she told me there was an earthquake. I didn't believe her.

There were millions of cops at University and College - a protest was walking down University. I asked one of the cops and he confirmed that there had been an earthquake.

Myself and my lunchmates are still the only people I've spoken to who felt nothing. Hurray for basements! What coincidence that we would be eating lunch in a basement at the exact time that this happened...

All in all an exciting end to a delicious lunch :D

.. and me with the day off, I was in the kitchen, post swank made-at-home lunch, cleaning up. Coincidentally at the time, some government aircraft (pre-summit drills) were thundering overhead and the crockery shook in the cupboards - a lot!!! I was pretty certain the aircraft were flying low. I pivoted around quickly and the room sort of moved, meanwhile I thought "I am too young to be having a stroke or whatever".

... went to web 15 minutes later, and The Globe had filed the first reports of the quake.

Lasted at least 20 seconds in my North York location.

I think we've been lied to. California is really the safest place.

Was tending to a grave in a Scarborough cemetery and felt absolutely nothing, probably would have filled my shorts if I had.

Talked to someone in Ottawa; it was pretty strong there, lots of offices evacuated and people went home.

Imagine being the crane operator on top of the RC or similar highrise under construction!

The cranes move around so much already I doubt they'd really notice much.

Back