News   May 03, 2024
 944     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 573     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 278     0 

Dwell City Towns (427 & Rathburn, Menkes, ?s, ?) (was Sell-Off Condos)

it would be an easy job really. They would just fill in the median and put a concrete median in the middle.

yeah the only use those on the outside of a highway now...

Its all about medians and tall mast lights now for the MTO.

however i don't think the can put up those lights so close to the airport??

Uhhhhh...yeah. *chuckle*

Though if Miserly Doug were true to his principle, he'd do a paradoxical "Jane Jacobs" and eschew such self-aggrandizement...

I like this:

Installation of transit signal priority features at The West Mall and Rathburn Road, Holiday Drive and Burnhamthorpe Road (see Transit above). The only problem, service is poor on Rathburn and Burnhamthorpe for TTC for this. West Mall is not that great either.

Will they be turn on once installed?

200 bike spots.

I like change:

Sidewalks 2-3m, not 1.7

Parking 800 spots with 100 visitors spots. As is, gives no reasons why ppl should use transit and goes against going green.

I hope they tell buyers that 427 is going to get bigger with an interchange at Bloor as well rebuilding the other intersections.

Approved

from insidetoronto.ca, looks like it was approved...also, note there is a proposal for the Valhalla Inn site on the other side of the 427 as well....

Hotel building falls to condos

Development will set precedent for others along Hwy. 427 corridor, including Valhalla Inn: planner

February 14, 2008 06:31 PM
TAMARA SHEPHARD

Toronto's first Holiday Inn, as well an historic landmark off Hwy. 427, is coming down to make way for a four-tower condominium - setting a precedent for other sites along the 427 corridor, says a city planner.
The Etobicoke York Community Council voted Tuesday night to approve the 19- to 24-tower project after the item was delayed more than two hours because of tight scheduling with an earlier agenda item.

"The density is appropriate," said Brian Gallaugher, west district senior planner. "What happens at 2 Holiday Dr. will set a precedent for other sites along the Hwy. 427 corridor, but I don't feel it sets a bad precedent. Each (development application) has to be evaluated on its own merits."

A similar development is proposed to turn the Valhalla Inn on the other side of Hwy. 427 into three, 20-odd storey condos. A second community consultation meeting on that proposal is expected in late spring.

Last June, many of the 90 residents who attended that initial Valhalla meeting argued the proposed condos are too tall, with too many units and will wreak havoc on traffic in their neighbourhood of The East Mall between Bloor Street West and Burnhamthorpe Road.

The Holiday Inn development proposal calls for 887 units, split evenly between one- and two-bedroom suites, on land currently occupied by the former Ramada Inn on Holiday Drive, just south of Rathburn Road and Hwy. 427.

"Originally, it was a Holiday Inn in the '50s - the first in Toronto - but now it's hard for hotels to compete against airport-area hotels," said Ward 3 (Etobicoke Centre) Councillor Doug Holyday, who represents the area. "It's a fair development, and it's probably as good a development as we're going to get."

Carol Higgins disagreed. She was one of only four residents to address the committee.

"It's an eyesore. It's too big. It's too high," she said. "We can't get across the damn street to get a bus, and you're going to put more traffic there?"

New traffic lights will be installed at Holiday Drive and The West Mall as part of the project, as well as a pedestrian-priority system applied to three traffic lights on The West Mall, Gallaugher said.

All three of the abutting landowners - a 16-storey rental apartment building, a 19-storey condo, and a 94-unit low-rise condo townhouse development - support the project.

Community benefits include $700,000 to expand the day care for 31 children at Broadacres Junior School. Council voted to approve any leftover day care funds be given to the Etobicoke Civic Centre day care.

Another $475,000 will fund a new playground and water play area in Broadacres Park.

I really think the 427 area especially near that Honeybee mall or something like that can be redeveloped.

It will be popular as it will be a decent price and will have easy access to downtown.

anyway town homes have invaded the 427 really.

Unfortunately, I noticed last weekend that Honeydale's lost That 70s Sign with the neon bees...

Bring on a 427 canyon!

loc_l_21_70.jpg

Back