News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.6K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 622     0 

Durham Region Transit / Pulse

DRT will have 2 Canada Day Shuttle Bus route number as route 750-Pickering Canada Day Shuttle which will run from Pickering GO Station to Bay Ridges Kinsmen Park and back to Pickering GO Station & route 752-Oshawa Canada Day Shuttle which will run from Oshawa Centre Bus Terminal to Lakeview Park

DRT will have 2 Canada Day Shuttle Bus route number as route 750-Pickering Canada Day Shuttle which will run from Pickering GO Station to Bay Ridges Kinsmen Park and back to Pickering GO Station & route 752-Oshawa Canada Day Shuttle which will run from Oshawa Centre Bus Terminal to Lakeview Park
Nice to see !

Looks like DRT has joined some of the other GTA transit authorities and ordered plastic seats on their new buses. I’m not too keen on them as I think they degrade the passenger experience, and we should strive to have nice things in our public infrastructure like in other cities. But I don’t hate them. Bright blue is a nice colour and the seats themselves weren’t uncomfortable.

84E9D161-1BAB-4018-845C-78D0B0D913D9.jpeg

Looks like DRT has joined some of the other GTA transit authorities and ordered plastic seats on their new buses. I’m not too keen on them as I think they degrade the passenger experience, and we should strive to have nice things in our public infrastructure like in other cities. But I don’t hate them. Bright blue is a nice colour and the seats themselves weren’t uncomfortable.

View attachment 577943

Always appreciation your contributions @APTA-2048 just had to use the angry face over the plastic seats...........what garbage.

Always appreciation your contributions @APTA-2048 just had to use the angry face over the plastic seats...........what garbage.

I’m curious how you feel about vinyl transit seats. In DRT’s case, their previous batch had vinyl seats, but there is no padding. So not much different in comfort. They also chose grey, which looked a little bland. Lack of forward facing seats was also annoying. I’m glad they changed that on the new buses.

D71E03A6-A009-4DEB-AB2B-FBE66F6C2630.jpeg

View attachment 577943
I’m curious how you feel about vinyl transit seats. In DRT’s case, their previous batch had vinyl seats, but there is no padding. So not much different in comfort. They also chose grey, which looked a little bland. Lack of forward facing seats was also annoying. I’m glad they changed that on the new buses.

View attachment 578172
I found that the vinyl seats were quite slippery. I would see people slide a little, especially when the bus braked hard.

View attachment 578172

I remember vinyl seats on the Toronto subways........while plastic-y and dated in appearance by today's standards, they were comfy (padded). I don't have any inherent issue w/them, done properly, as with leather, faux leather, and fabric there is wide variation in quality, appearance and durability. Suffice to say, you generally get what you pay for and better material costs more, and like anything, it must be maintained.

Personally, I see nothing wrong w/fabric, padded, seats. Today one can get these with rip-resistant/rip-stop characteristic minimizing slashing or accidental tears, and with a high degree of stain resistance. They just cost more, and of course, needed to be wiped down, and periodically re-done.

I think we really should see a report outlining the different upfront and lifecycle costs. I know I'd prefer to spend more in subsidy and to a lesser degree fare, for a better product.

But let the public have at the numbers. Is .05c savings per fare or $5 per seat up front worth the decrease in comfort and style? In fairness........what if its .50c per ride?

I found that the vinyl seats were quite slippery. I would see people slide a little, especially when the bus braked hard.
I haven’t experienced this. Maybe I’m too heavy (lol). Though I’m surprised those two seats across from the rear door got approved. Vinyl or fabric, a hard stop looks to be dangerous for anyone sitting there.

I remember vinyl seats on the Toronto subways........while plastic-y and dated in appearance by today's standards, they were comfy (padded). I don't have any inherent issue w/them, done properly, as with leather, faux leather, and fabric there is wide variation in quality, appearance and durability. Suffice to say, you generally get what you pay for and better material costs more, and like anything, it must be maintained.

Personally, I see nothing wrong w/fabric, padded, seats. Today one can get these with rip-resistant/rip-stop characteristic minimizing slashing or accidental tears, and with a high degree of stain resistance. They just cost more, and of course, needed to be wiped down, and periodically re-done.

I think we really should see a report outlining the different upfront and lifecycle costs. I know I'd prefer to spend more in subsidy and to a lesser degree fare, for a better product.

But let the public have at the numbers. Is .05c savings per fare or $5 per seat up front worth the decrease in comfort and style? In fairness........what if its .50c per ride?

I agree. It would be nice to have fabric seats again and I hope the TTC keeps them. And I can’t imagine they cost so much more that we can’t afford it. Transit shouldn’t be an austere race to the bottom, well, ideally.

There are some nice vinyl options available. Berlin, for example, has vinyl seats that have patterns. Translink’s seats look pretty nice and are padded. They actually use the same vinyl supplier as DRT, but their blue/indigo colour looks nicer.

Back