News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Dundas West/ Bloor Mobility Hub +interconnected hub network (Metrolinx)

Why they aren't continuing the tunnel on the west side of the corridor both north and south is beyond me. At the same point that they connect the UP express platforms they could continue the path south to near Bloor and connect under the tracks at the same point north of Bloor the two UP Express Stations are connected. The signage could be GO trains left, UP trains right.
There is enough variability to the running of the trains that you don't want to put in any permanent signage about which way to which trains. A sign pointing to the platforms, coupled with the electronic signage and announcements indicating which trains are stopping on which platforms is better suited to it.

The even crazier routing is being in the UP express building at Bloor and asking how to get to the streetcar platform :) Up to the tracks, down the ramp to the GO platform, down the stairs to the tunnel, backtrack to the subway entrance, down the stairs the subway platform, walk to the other end of the platform, go up two flights of stairs and you are there. Oops, you forgot your sunglasses at the UP express station.
Considering the signage that Metrolinx has installed elsewhere, I suspect that the signage will clearly explain to people coming along Bloor that the appropriate way to the surface level TTC station is to continue along Bloor along their previously existing route, not to duck into the GO station.

Dan

There is enough variability to the running of the trains that you don't want to put in any permanent signage about which way to which trains. A sign pointing to the platforms, coupled with the electronic signage and announcements indicating which trains are stopping on which platforms is better suited to it.
UP Express runs from the south platforms because they are high platforms. There are already signs elsewhere that tell you UP express is on the south ends and GO is on the north ends.

Considering the signage that Metrolinx has installed elsewhere, I suspect that the signage will clearly explain to people coming along Bloor that the appropriate way to the surface level TTC station is to continue along Bloor along their previously existing route, not to duck into the GO station.
If they might have a map that will likely be inside the station. The window will be filled up with other signs that aren't shown in the Metrolinx standard, like leash your pets, hours when bikes are permitted, don't wear roller blades in the station and vehicles, don't skateboard, no smoking tobacco, no smoking weed, passengers must wear clothing, presto now accepts lots of payments, attention automatic door, etc. They might forget to put the signs that are actually in the standard like street address, indication of an accessible entrance, and hours of operation. With all the signs the TTC and Metrolinx thinks are necessary to control the masses it is a wonder malls aren't a literal zoo of people riding bikes, people skateboarding and rollerblading, and pets/animals off leashes. OMG, Metrolinx forgot go-carts and motor cycles... the better call signage and get a no motorized vehicles sign made up.

UP Express runs from the south platforms because they are high platforms. There are already signs elsewhere that tell you UP express is on the south ends and GO is on the north ends.
I was referring to the (soon to be) 4 tracks through the station, not their geographical location on each track. Yes, UPX stops at the high platforms at the south end of the facility.

But as they can stop at any of the current 3 (and soon to be 4) tracks, you don't want any hard signage in the station that indicates what tracks they will be using, because they can use any of them.

If they might have a map that will likely be inside the station. The window will be filled up with other signs that aren't shown in the Metrolinx standard, like leash your pets, hours when bikes are permitted, don't wear roller blades in the station and vehicles, don't skateboard, no smoking tobacco, no smoking weed, passengers must wear clothing, presto now accepts lots of payments, attention automatic door, etc. They might forget to put the signs that are actually in the standard like street address, indication of an accessible entrance, and hours of operation. With all the signs the TTC and Metrolinx thinks are necessary to control the masses it is a wonder malls aren't a literal zoo of people riding bikes, people skateboarding and rollerblading, and pets/animals off leashes. OMG, Metrolinx forgot go-carts and motor cycles... the better call signage and get a no motorized vehicles sign made up.
No need. Go look at the exterior treatment of the various new entrances at Cedervale - they are all quite clearly marked out in terms of how to best get around. On the north side of the street, east of the Allen? Don't use that entrance, continue walking on the north side of the street to the original entrance further down.

They could very easily recreate this same treatment at the GO entrances at Bloor.

Dan

Noticed that this work has started south of Bloor recently. Taken 16 October.

IMG_4518.jpeg

^Notes from a trip on the UP yesterday:

The work going on along the Weston Sub near Bloor is almost exclusively about sound wall installation. That's a necessary first step, but there will still have to be grading etc before track can be laid. I'm actually a bit discouraged about how bleak the south end of the Railpath is becoming with high solid sound walls on each side.

The work site at Randolph where the new pedestrian tunnels are to be built remains bereft of workers. Maybe after the two minutes' silence on Nov 11 we will see activity. It's certainly the city's newest venue for quiet reflection and meditation.

The work site on the south side of Dundas on the point between the Barrie and Kitchener lines seems to involve continuous dirt shifting, but it's hard to see where the progress is.

The red flags protecting platform construction have come down on the new fourth track between Nickle and Humberview, but the signals have not been cut in and the rails remain rusty. I counted a single lonely worker at the unfinished Mount Dennis station.

There was a work crew attaching hardware to the roof of the 401/409 tunnel, not sure what that is for given that the tunnels are years from being activated.

Absolutely no sign of impending construction for a new station at Woodbine.

If there is a sense of urgency to any of this work, I'm not seeing it. I'm sure Ml will say that a lot of things are not critical path so why hurry, but if it were my railway I would be advancing a lot of things just to get them out of the way before the last minute.

I do think the Auditor General ought to look at ML's practices around Rule 42 flagging. The number of flagging Forepersons sitting in white pickup trucks at supposed work sites (where nothing is actually happening) must be costing a fortune. I'm not sure why I urged my kids to go to school when there is such job security in Rule 42 flagging.

- Paul

Last edited:
Closures are for the Barrie Line bridge over Bloor, not this one...
This weekend Bloor Street in the vicinity of the GO/UPX station was closed. The pedestrians walking from the west could get to the station doors that are under the tracks, but no further.
https://www.gotransit.com/en/the-future-and-go/construction-notices/bloor-go-station-improvement
https://www.upexpress.com/en/up-express-stations/bloor-station
https://transittoronto.ca/archives/weblog/2023/11/03-bloor_go_u.shtml
BloorGOUPX_04Nov2023.jpg

This weekend Bloor Street in the vicinity of the GO/UPX station was closed. The pedestrians walking from the west could get to the station doors that are under the tracks, but no further.
https://www.gotransit.com/en/the-future-and-go/construction-notices/bloor-go-station-improvement
https://www.upexpress.com/en/up-express-stations/bloor-station
https://transittoronto.ca/archives/weblog/2023/11/03-bloor_go_u.shtml
View attachment 518252

Did they move the span that was temporarily put in place during the Georgetown South Project? cc @crs1026

I think Roncesvalles is a great name - but Roncesvalles ends about a quarter-mile south of the station. Perth Avenue is closer to the station.

And Roncesvalles is getting a bit remove from Bloor GO.

I'd just call the whole thing Bloor West. I'm struggling to think of something else. And it's not near Bloor West Village.

Lol, perhaps they could just call the entire thing "Crossways". (NO!)

Or else go for something very different. David Miller station ... I don't think anyone has pushed the Bloor-Dundas West connection more than him.

I think Roncesvalles is a great name - but Roncesvalles ends about a quarter-mile south of the station. Perth Avenue is closer to the station.

And Roncesvalles is getting a bit remove from Bloor GO.

I'd just call the whole thing Bloor West. I'm struggling to think of something else. And it's not near Bloor West Village.

Lol, perhaps they could just call the entire thing "Crossways". (NO!)

Or else go for something very different. David Miller station ... I don't think anyone has pushed the Bloor-Dundas West connection more than him.
David Miller is from Toronto isn't he? Knowing city council, let's just rename this station Mayor Rudy Giuliani Station for the sake of local relevance.

Back