News   Mar 28, 2024
 133     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 190     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 252     0 

Dundas West/ Bloor Mobility Hub +interconnected hub network (Metrolinx)

I have to say - rolling my suitcase through the Freshco parking lot always feels odd when I do it. But have you seen the state of Bloor street recently, with all the construction. Last time I tried it, I figured I might as well take Bloor for once, and as soon as I got out the door, I realised how long it would take, and went back into the station and up to the other tunnel.

I spotted the two other people with luggage who'd left onto Bloor with me, getting to the subway station at the same time I did. Which makes the sketchy Freshco connection much faster than Bloor street currently - had I had the sense to do that the first time.

I have to say - rolling my suitcase through the Freshco parking lot always feels odd when I do it. But have you seen the state of Bloor street recently, with all the construction. Last time I tried it, I figured I might as well take Bloor for once, and as soon as I got out the door, I realised how long it would take, and went back into the station and up to the other tunnel.

I spotted the two other people with luggage who'd left onto Bloor with me, getting to the subway station at the same time I did. Which makes the sketchy Freshco connection much faster than Bloor street currently - had I had the sense to do that the first time.
Just before I left for Europe, had a look at the Bloor station and it was a mess. The north sidewalk was block off to allow the rebuilding of the retaining wall and sidewalk with traffic shifted to single lane in the eastbound lanes. Traffic was backup to Lansdowne going west.

Doing the Freshco route has always been the faster route to the station. Once the apartment tower is finish, should be a faster route until the subway connection is built.

Far better off going to Kipling and paying one fare.

Permit news, not for the Crossways tunnel but for other station works for Bloor GO, seemed apt to put it here.....

The City, I note, seems a bit confused as to where this is, the permit on their system is attached to Union Station..........LOL

1659812716666.png

Everyone needs to stop complaining because the existing connection to the UPX is great! You just need to exit Dundas West TTC station, cross at the lights, turn left, turn right, then up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right, walk through Freshco, ask the staff in the back if you can wheel your suitcase through the warehouse, hop off the loading dock, cut a section out of the chain-link fence, over the tracks and hoist yourself up onto the platform. Easy-peasy.
Sounds like a perfect chase scene for any generic crime thriller flick.

Thanks @SaugeenJunction we now know the tender for this is finally out:

IT IS FINALLY HAPPENING - Metrolinx has posted the construction tender for the Bloor GO/Dundas West TTC tunnel connection. Closes April 13th.
https://www.metrolinx.merx.com/public/solicitations/2391819420/abstract?origin=0

PT-2021-NAFD-378 - PT-2021-NAFD-378: Bloor GO (TTC Connection)

Thanks to @nfitz

We know it took only 49 years to get to this day. Presumably 50 to see the work finished (all going well)

Keep in mind, they promised this back in the 1970s and started working on the connection in 1974, and roughed it into the Crossways building. Though with no facility for an elevator in the design, they have to start from scratch.

Also recall the 1985 negotiations that the Ministry started with Crossways to do this ...

Started in 2015 ... LOL!

1970s?

Canada made its first formal switch from imperial to metric units on April 1, 1975.

Likely now they'll have to redraw and rewrite everything in metric. Then the building standards have changed over the decades, that'll have to change as well.

1970s?

Canada made its first formal switch from imperial to metric units on April 1, 1975.

Likely now they'll have to redraw and rewrite everything in metric. Then the building standards have changed over the decades, that'll have to change as well.
Sadly, you still see imperial measurement in construction and a great mistaken we did not move to full metric like we were supposed to do. Only have to go to the grocery store to see meat sold in pound and sold in kilograms price wise.

I remember the first time a metric project came across my desk and did a what after seeing it. It did not take me long to understand it as well doing the conversion to say this was the way to go and still do.

Got to blame the Americans on the metric mess as they were not willing to move to the metric system. It cost them many issues by not doing it to the point space missions have fail because ppl forgot the different between imperial and metric when both were used to build X. You can find speed and distance signs on a number of US highway using both systems as well for other things. The US is slowing moving to metric, but decades down the road.

Even clothes are seeing the metric conversion to the point its the wrong size.

Is the "GO Tunnel Level" and "P1 Level" approximately the same elevation? And is the yellow rectangle at "Ground Level/GO Platform Level" considered to be a "Second Entrance" for the TTC subway station?

Is the "GO Tunnel Level" and "P1 Level" approximately the same elevation? And is the yellow rectangle at "Ground Level/GO Platform Level" considered to be a "Second Entrance" for the TTC subway station?
It appears that the GO tunnel and P1 level are very close to the same elevation, yes.

The yellow items are the various types of vertical accesses - stairs and elevators. The elevators leading from the new TTC concourse to the GO tunnels would require a structure at the surface level for the various machinery bits. There is already surface-level access to the GO tunnels, so there isn't a need to build more of it.

Dan

Back