News   Sep 12, 2024
 147     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 192     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 881     0 

Dundas Square crumbles

Or, if the stone truly is from Quebec, it could be an attempt to embarass the evil Torontonians by sending below grade granite.

Let's not underestimate the effects of global warming either.

if you want to see a *big* expanse of cracked granite paving, go check out TD Centre

My guess is that the coefficient of thermal expansion, a measure of how a material expands and contracts with a change in temperature, is different between the granite and concrete. If the two don't expand and contract at a very similar rate, suprisingly large forces can build up. These are both brittle materials, therefore it doesn't take much to shatter them.

Because of its larger size, movement of the concrete slab governs, and the result is that the granite has been destroyed. Once a couple cracks form, the entire tile is wekaned and the cracks can propogate due to other mechanisms such as simple wear and tear.

Another factor at TD *might* be the service trucks used for events, film shoots, etc. (Even though they tend to lay out track boards for them to drive on.)

My guess is that the coefficient of thermal expansion, a measure of how a material expands and contracts with a change in temperature, is different between the granite and concrete. If the two don't expand and contract at a very similar rate, suprisingly large forces can build up. These are both brittle materials, therefore it doesn't take much to shatter them.

Because of its larger size, movement of the concrete slab governs, and the result is that the granite has been destroyed. Once a couple cracks form, the entire tile is wekaned and the cracks can propogate due to other mechanisms such as simple wear and tear.

Either that, or it's just a cheap piece of shit.

if you want to see a *big* expanse of cracked granite paving, go check out TD Centre

Check out the Royal Bank tower as well. Lots of cracked stone.

Five of the larger granite pavers on the west side of the Square proper have also cracked.

Several other pavers in the Square don't butt up at the edges - they appear to have sunk at one side and risen at the other. This may be the result of sloppy installation but I don't think so - eagle-eyed forum members would surely have spotted it at the time.

^I'm surprised that the city hasn't sent Bubba and Skeeter over with their bucket and shovel yet, the city seems pretty diligent about filling cracks with blacktop.

How old are those dundas sq. slabs..? They're not just cracked in a couple of places, they're literally crumbling apart.

The Square has turned out to be more than it was cracked up to be.

Back