News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

Update:

• Last week the winner of the Dufferin Street underpass public art competition was announced
  • Luis Jacob was shortlisted from 87 submissions and his project, entitled
    The Hall of Community Spirits, was selected from four finalists.
  • The mosaic art will be installed along the Dufferin underpass once the reconfiguration of the streets is complete

Excavation on the north side of the crossing is making big leaps in progress. Had no camera on me when I went by yesterday.

It is amazing how much easier a drive it will be once completed. I just hope they repave Dufferin between Peel and Dundas as it is horrible.

I wonder what's going to happen to the Gladstone traffic lights. It was designed specifically for the complex jog that had to happen to get North/Southbound cars back on Dufferin.

Will there be a pedestrian crossing? Is one even needed anymore?

Why not? After all, the Gladstone's on the corner. (Though I wonder how they'll configure Gladstone/Peel once all is done...)

And keep in mind that Gladstone will meet the new Sudbury street extension on the south side of Queen.

June 27

IMG_june-26-09-0077.JPG

IMG_june-26-09-0078.JPG

Let's hope Drum or someone will get some pictures! This from TTC website

Starting 12:01 am, Saturday, July 18 until 5:00 am, Monday, July 20, Queen Street, between Dufferin Street and ladstone Avenue, will be closed to all traffic during the westward shifting of the CNR bridge. During the construction, route 501/301 QUEEN streetcars will divert, in both directions, via Shaw Street, King Street and The Queensway.
501 QUEEN replacement buses will operate between Sunnyside Loop and Dufferin Loop.

Route 29/329 DUFFERIN buses will divert, in both directions, via Gladstone Avenue, Queen Street, Shaw Street and King Street.

Route 29/329 DUFFERIN buses will divert, in both directions, via Gladstone Avenue, Queen Street, Shaw Street and King Street.

That's a HUGE detour! There must be some other possible arrangement they could have set up, even having the 63 cover the route south of King...

Wait.. westward shifting? They're moving the bridge? WHAT? :eek:

I'm assuming it's the one line out of use rail bridge that will eventually become a part of the RailPath?

As for Gladstone, because it will just revert to being a quiet local street, I have a feeling we'll see the complete removal of the traffic lights. Dufferin is right there and while the Gladstone is on one side, there's nothing on the other to cross to.

At most we'll get a signaled pedestrian crossing.. if that. It would be inefficient to have cars stop at the new Dufferin + Queen intersection and then stop again at lights half a block ahead at Gladstone.

I wonder what's going to happen to the Gladstone traffic lights. It was designed specifically for the complex jog that had to happen to get North/Southbound cars back on Dufferin.

Will there be a pedestrian crossing? Is one even needed anymore?

There was an Open House on the Peel-Gladstone Reconstruction back in May 26, 2009.

You can download the PDF on the Environment Assessment study from this link. The website is at this link.

It looks like the traffic lights will stay as it would also provide access to a future connection to a Sudbury Street extension at Gladstone and Queen.

Last edited:
Starting 12:01 am, Saturday, July 18 until 5:00 am, Monday, July 20, Queen Street, between Dufferin Street and ladstone Avenue, will be closed to all traffic during the westward shifting of the CNR bridge.

As it is now, both CNR and CPR tracks occupy the bridges above Queen. Are they leaving the CP tracks alone? If so, why?

As it is now, both CNR and CPR tracks occupy the bridges above Queen. Are they leaving the CP tracks alone? If so, why?

GO running service on them at this time. The CP bridges will remain as part of Toronto history.

Once the east side of the new bridge is done, GO service will move to the new section while the west section is done. Once completed, GO service will return to the tracks they are supposed to use. 7 & 8 will be the Milton line at the west side. 1 & 2 will be the Barrie line on the east side. 3-6 will be Georgetown and Airport.

8 tracks will go into this area and leaves no room for the Railpath and it will stop at Dundas. It can make it to Queen, but no further south than that.

Expansion of Lansdowne bridge maybe require for the Railpath as well as a bridge over the Barrie line. These issue are the reasons for the Railpath to stop at Dundas.

Once the east side of the new bridge is done, GO service will move to the new section while the west section is done. Once completed, GO service will return to the tracks they are supposed to use. 7 & 8 will be the Milton line at the west side. 1 & 2 will be the Barrie line on the east side. 3-6 will be Georgetown and Airport.

8 tracks will go into this area and leaves no room for the Railpath and it will stop at Dundas. It can make it to Queen, but no further south than that.

Thx for the info drum.

Back