News   Jul 24, 2024
 234     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 764     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 555     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

Uh ... what did I miss? Wrong thread?

The word is that the engineer had figured out how to deliver Metrolinx's 8th track in two months and at a reduced cost to doing it later, and Giambrone was partly responsible for nixing the idea saying something along the lines of the poor neighbours that have suffered for so long can't handle two more months of construction. With the delay in lowering the bridge it seems they could have actually added the 8th track with little change in the delivery timelines at all.

`
duffbridge.jpg

Glad to see them using the stone. It matches the existing walls and it will detract graffiti. A blank wall over here would be a certain graffiti magnet but this pretty much prevents it.

it's hard to visualize what view this photo is. is it looking east from the north side of queen?

They *really* need to paint those bridges. Best to do it now while they are out of use and accessible.

they should sell the little bits of stone left over from the retaining wall as souvenirs. own a chunk of the queen street subway! it's better than throwing them in the trash plus the money can go to a worthy cause.

Nah they have looked the way they have for eternity. It's part of the character of the neighbourhood. Leave em be. Also, if you paint them they will just be a fresh canvas for graffiti artists.

Nah they have looked the way they have for eternity. It's part of the character of the neighbourhood. Leave em be. Also, if you paint them they will just be a fresh canvas for graffiti artists.

The neighbourhood won't lose its character once these bridges painted and if taggers are going to vandalize them, at least they'll still be mostly painted. Also, I noticed CN is introducing banners in front of some of the bridges. In the early stages they've put up banners promoting neighbourhoods and local landmarks but I suspect they're interested in advertising. If the money goes towards paying for the cost of painting over bridges, then I'd say it's an interesting plan.

Not speaking of this particular instance, but I'm one who digs unpainted old RR bridges with the Canadian National livery still intact...

Back