News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

They could tunnel an LRT line from the start of Dufferin Mall just north of College and have it go underground to Dufferin Station and then emerge above the street again.

Dufferin's too narrow to support surface LRT (4 lanes width). And burying it only extrapolates the costs. The Dufferin bus is unique because the of the many high-density neighbourhoods it passes through. I think however once the DRL and Eglinton-Crosstown Line gets built, ridership levels for the 29 will go down as a large part of the customer base would now be less dependent on it as a feeder route (at least in the case of South Parkdale and Fairbanks residents).

Exactly the same width as Bathurst; should we get rid of the tracks on Bathurst?

No, but the TTC has stated that they will not build new lines without the streetcars having their own ROW stating that spending so much on infrastructure and vehicles only to end up having them stuck in traffic makes no financial sense.

No, but the TTC has stated that they will not build new lines without the streetcars having their own ROW stating that spending so much on infrastructure and vehicles only to end up having them stuck in traffic makes no financial sense.
That position makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Bathurst streetcars don't particularly get stuck in traffic; so why would Dufferin? Bathurst streetcars run faster than the Spadina streetcars, which are on their own ROW.

TTC has stated many, many things in the past that change.

Why not make Dufferin south of Bloor a one-way.

I always thought that Downtown seriously lacked one-ways

I think that if you walked or cycled or lived on a major one-way street you might see that they encourage speeding. I doubt many people would prefer to walk on Richmond or Adelaide over King or Queen.

I think that if you walked or cycled or lived on a major one-way street you might see that they encourage speeding. I doubt many people would prefer to walk on Richmond or Adelaide over King or Queen.

The lack of pedestrians on Richmond and Adelaide tend to be because these streets end up as the rear laneways of buildings on King or Queen... There's nothing to walk to.

If you're going to convert Dufferin to a one-way street then you need:

a) A nearby street to go in the opposite direction with the same general capacity. No nearby street matches this.
b) A rationale - making a street a one-way for the sake of making it a one-way isn't a very good rationale.

Why not make Dufferin south of Bloor a one-way.

If you're going to convert Dufferin to a one-way street then you need:

a) A nearby street to go in the opposite direction with the same general capacity. No nearby street matches this.

The only one street i can think of south of Bloor st. down to Lakeshore thats close by is Lansdowne/Jameison Ave.
That might work as a one way northbound street from Lakeshore to Bloor

Last edited:
The only one street i can think of south of Bloor st. down to Lakeshore thats close by is Lansdowne/Jameison Ave.
That might work as a one way northbound street from Lakeshore to Bloor

Lansdowne is now two lanes due to the narrowing project. It could work but isn't the best match for Dufferin.

Back