News   Jul 15, 2024
 326     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 491     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

DRL Station Design

A couple of ideas to float for the eastern leg of the core line:

-A subway/streetcar hub at Carlaw & Queen. If the Shoppers at the corner is taken out, there is currently plenty of open space just north of it to include as part of a streetcar hub a la Broadview Station. This could be a natural point to break up the Queen Streetcar into smaller legs.

-If the line runs along Front, what if there were a station below the North St. Lawrence Market, which currently has plans to be renovated in the near future?

How's about taking this discussion to the Alignment thread?

I'd like to see a rendering based off Downsview's platform. It's true the station is overbuilt with that large mezzanine, but that high ceiling at platform level is an element that should make it into every major TTC station in the future.

3278899925_0a34c0c805_o.jpg

3279077027_8d0dab8afd_o.jpg

Last edited:
I must say, these all look fantastic. I found the TTC did a pretty good job with their Sheppard Stations. I just have one issue: why did they leave the walls with just concrete? Were they ever planning on putting up subway-tile like the rest of their stations? C'mon, those tiles are one of the few things that are uniform about our city. I really don't like the blank walls. It just seems unfinished to me.

Just that one thing. Besides that, fantastic!

i dont know, i kind of liked that they were bare. it's rugged enough to state that it's serious about being a subway, but it also exudes sophistication and a sort of cleanliness that the 'bathroom' tiles of the other stations don't. just my opinion

You can certainly dress up concrete... maybe some nice murals. Tile seems difficult to keep clean, whereas concrete can be pressurewashed.

I also like the concrete look of the Sheppard line.

As for the renderings, the only thing I don't like is the choice of Orange as the DRL colour. Orange is too close to the yellow of the Yonge-University-Spadina Line. (or was that the intent?)

Personally I like the Red colour used in some of the DRL maps we've seen.

Although if we got rid of the SRT it'd free up Blue to use again.

The concrete turned out well on the Sheppard line, though it was a cost cutting measure.

Brick is also a sophisticated choice, as certain Spadina line stations demonstrate. Beyond a small handful of stations which use it sparingly, it's absent inside our subway stations.

The concrete turned out well on the Sheppard line, though it was a cost cutting measure.

Brick is also a sophisticated choice, as certain Spadina line stations demonstrate. Beyond a small handful of stations which use it sparingly, it's absent inside our subway stations.

An all red brick station (including brick pillars) would look fantastic on "Distillery District" station. It could go well with Museum Station and possibly a Pape station with greek pillars.

Very good renderings, wylie. I don't read Chinese. Do those characters on the wall actually say anything, or are they meant to be generic?

I certainly agree with Junctionist about the use of brick. Considering how easily brick is available in the Toronto area, it's a shame that it isn't used more extensively in the subway, among other places.

I don't read Chinese. Do those characters on the wall actually say anything, or are they meant to be generic?

Yes. The Chinese characters say "Toronto", "East Chinatown" and "Gerrard Street", which is appropriate (at least to me) since Gerrard is one of the main streets of nearby East Chinatown.

Back