News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Drain location arrows

BMO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Out of the blue these yellow arrows pointing towards water drains have been popping up in Thornhill. What are they for?

OLZNRR5

Link of image if embed doesn't work: http://imgur.com/OLZNRR5

Out of the blue these yellow arrows pointing towards water drains have been popping up in Thornhill. What are they for?

Your link doesn't work. Try this one - i.imgur.com/OLZNRR5.jpg

They are just arrows pointing at the drains, so they can quickly find them when there is a snowbank. There's similar arrows on the road, or paint on the sidewalk, all over Toronto.

They are just arrows pointing at the drains, so they can quickly find them when there is a snowbank. There's similar arrows on the road, or paint on the sidewalk, all over Toronto.
Yes, the City are putting them on most newly paved roads - Front Street got them last year.

Yes, the City are putting them on most newly paved roads - Front Street got them last year.

Thanks guys. I guess it's some type of new standard being implemented?

I don't know if they're new everywhere because I have them on my street, which is a quiet residential local road with no through-traffic. As noted, they're just there to help locate drains that will inevitably get covered when the snowplows clear the streets in winter.

My street in North York in the 1980s had similar markings, although they used a capital PSI instead of an arrow. I don't recall seeing them in (old city of) Toronto before. Very helpful in winter, especially if city workers are trying to clear catchbasin grates.

Back