AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Star:

Basrur dies after battle with rare cancer
As medical officer of health, doctor guided city through SARS crisis

Jun 02, 2008 02:53 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

A spokesperson for the family of Dr. Sheela Basrur says she has died.

Basrur became a trusted source of information through the SARS crisis in Toronto in 2003 as the medical officer of health for the City of Toronto.

She was most recently Ontario's chief medical officer.

She resigned in December 2006 after being diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

In April, Basrur was awarded the prestigious Order of Ontario for public service for her leadership during the deadly SARS outbreak.

The family spokesperson says a private funeral will be held.

A public memorial will be held in recognition of Basrur's life and professional contribution.

Basrur was profiled last month in Desi Life (read profile), where she spoke about her battle with cancer and her extraordinary career in public health.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/435547

AoD

Very sad for all of us to have lost her.

It would be appropriate for the city to name something after her - she's pretty quinessentially "New Toronto".

I can't help but compare her to Mel's performance during the crisis - and I still cringe at the way he acted even after all these years. It's truly memorable - in a bad way.

AoD

Very sad news. She was a most memorable voice of calm and clarity during a crisis. A significant loss to our city, province and country.

very sad.

i really really hate cancer. i hope they find a cure right now.

sad day is right, we lost a great person today. my condolances to the family, and to all whom she touched.

I can't help but compare her to Mel's performance during the crisis - and I still cringe at the way he acted even after all these years. It's truly memorable - in a bad way.

And abjectly dubious as this might sound, I'm sure the notion of it being a "shame" that Mel's outlived Sheela has dawned on a few out there...

She was the voice of articulate reason at a time when we needed it most.

She was a very admirable and impressive public servant. It's such a shame that she died so young. I'd definitely support a memorial.

The stretch of University Avenue running through the Discovery District seems to be the best place for such a memorial.

On a related note, here's a new article from the Damn Interesting website:

The Heroes of SARS

This is sad news. She was definitely cut from a finer moral cloth than the politicians and businesspeople who seem to rule this city. We have so few exemplary Torontonians in high places and now we have one less.

Back