197     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 749     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 552     0 

Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study

Optimal solution should be...

• Total voters
I guess the answer if NO - nobody know how large the platforms are, but they know that they are completely useless ;).

From Transit toronto (http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5006.shtml)

"Lower Queen Station is also a lot shorter than a typical subway station, designed to handle a few streetcars, rather than a full subway train." There is no quantitative indication of the length.

There is no indication of any kind of the platform width.

I have not been down there, but I know quite a few people who have, including one engineer. The tunnel is a bit over 100 feet long, and the tunnels are only about 10 feet wide - just wide enough for a streetcar. The portions of "platforms" that do exist are only about 2 feet wide before they run into the cinderblock walls - the pedestrian tunnels under the subway were designed to be part of the platforms.

On top of all of that, parts of the tunnels have been repurposed for other uses - the elevators take up part of the running tunnel, as do some conduits and piping. The paid-area tunnel has been extended into the running tunnel as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The paid-area tunnel has been extended into the running tunnel as well.
Does that imply there's an unpaid-area tunnel as well (other than the non-public area)? I use the paid-area tunnel frequently ... but it's always interesting to find out about things that are right in front of you but you've never noticed.

Does that imply there's an unpaid-area tunnel as well (other than the non-public area)? I use the paid-area tunnel frequently ... but it's always interesting to find out about things that are right in front of you but you've never noticed.

I know I've cross under Queen without taking the subway so I think there is one, in effectively the same place as the paid tunnel, but it's been a long time since I used it.

It's possible I swiped a metrocard and went through the paid area.

Last edited:
There is a public unpaid tunnel too in effectively the same place.
I will have to open my eyes ... though I'm usually entering or exiting the subway if I enter the station.

It's funny the things you don't notice once you get in a routine ...

It's funny the things you don't notice once you get in a routine ...

I think my brain is malfunctioning (assembling a layout that doesn't exist) because I cannot actually place the tunnel entrance. Probably swiped a metrocard and went through the paid area without taking the subway.

Anyway, OpenStreetMap doesn't have the PATH connections to 1 Queen or 2 Queen, so it's a mapping opportunity for someone.

Last edited:
I think my brain is malfunctioning (assembling a layout that doesn't exist) because I cannot actually place the tunnel entrance. Probably swiped a metrocard and went through the paid area without taking the subway.

Anyway, OpenStreetMap doesn't have the PATH connections to 1 Queen or 2 Queen, so it's a mapping opportunity for someone.

There are two sets of stairs/escalators and two tunnels at Queen station, one in the fare-paid, and one outside it. They run parallel.

Digging any tunnel south of Front Street means digging through fill.

lakeshoresimg4_e.gif

It also means any tunnel can be subject to flooding. Pumps would have to be able to operate, with or without electric power.

Kansai International airport and Kobe airport operate on a completely man made island. Toronto's engineering issues are not unique nor have they never been dealt with before.

Digging any tunnel south of Front Street means digging through fill.

lakeshoresimg4_e.gif

It also means any tunnel can be subject to flooding. Pumps would have to be able to operate, with or without electric power.

The Big Dig also went through areas of Boston that are fill. If they can dig a highway tunnel through it, we can put a subway tunnel through it.

There are a few parts of the TTC subway which are submerged including a few stations which are adjacent to or partially under underground rivers.

Whatever route is chosen for a DRL subway, I believe a transfer station at Queen-Roncesvalles is absolutely essential to both relieve pressure at Union Station and provide better transit service for Parkdale and the Western Waterfront.

A station here would be able to connect the following services:
-GO Lakeshore Trains
-TTC DRL Subway
-TTC 504/501 Streetcar
-Waterfront West LRT*
-GO Bus
-Greyhound Bus
(* if constructed)

Here's my concept of what a Sunnyside mobility hub could look like:
elcyfb.jpg

Last edited:
if the WWLRT is built, it would presumably end there, and expect the passengers to transfer to the Subway. I have a feeling that either the Queen or King streetcar services would be cancelled after the construction of the subway as well. (having 2 local services right beside each other like that would be useless with express service running on another line)

I feel to really fix the Cities transit needs, you need an underground Streetcar tunnel along queen like plannedi n the 60's, as well as a DRL.

If the Lakeshore route can have a local line running along it as suggested that area is covered, and the DRL can go on Queen which would also cover high density short range mass transit.

Back