News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Downtown Porsche (64 Parliament St , 2s)

I am a purchaser at "The King East" and I must say I am dismayed. I supported the idea of a dealership and had grand delusions (obviously) of something as nice looking as the BMW dealership off Broadview. This sbuilding will not interact whatsover with King Street from the looks of it and it is indeed a lost opportunity. In 5 years time this whole area will be jumping....and sadly this won't reflect that. I'm a huge believer on lots of cafes, retail and dense housing in a stretch like this....it's too bad. Looks like I'll have to enjoy cofee from the living room and look out at some parked Porsche's - what a view!

One would think that a Porsche dealership of all businesses would be interested in quality design. Then again, it's a car dealership, a business that employs a lot of unsavoury characters.

One would think that a Porsche dealership of all businesses would be interested in quality design. Then again, it's a car dealership, a business that employs a lot of unsavoury characters.

The ownership owns a dozen dealerships of various brands. Porsche is just another product label. I'm sure he also sees the huge investment value in this property so why build a taj mahal.

The city could have said no couldn't they. Though I guess they were willing to do whatever it took to get the First Parliament lands back.

No, I don't think the city had too much control on the shape of this development eventhough the TTC lands likely required re-zoning. (although they aren't exactly built upon either)

5 June 2010 update, from the rear:

dsc08667.jpg

The ownership owns a dozen dealerships of various brands. Porsche is just another product label. I'm sure he also sees the huge investment value in this property so why build a taj mahal.

He could have built a far better interim building to keep development standards high and at the same time, property values. Other land owners have restored historic buildings and made solid contributions to neighbourhood-building, so the dealership should make a contribution as well in building a new building in the area.

The city could have said no couldn't they. Though I guess they were willing to do whatever it took to get the First Parliament lands back.
Actually it is the PROVINCE which bought back the section of the First Parliament Site from the Porsche guy (and have given it to the Ontario Heritage Foundation). The Province paid for this by contributed some land - on which the Porsche owner built the new Infiniti Dealership at Front/Eatsern/Trinity. The City then got the TTC to give up the old Parliament Street Streetcar loop - the Porsche guy already owned the southern part of that block. Now the only part of the First Parliament site that is not in public ownership is the quadrant at the SW corner of Front and Parliament (where the car wash now is.)

First Parliament update?

There as an SLNA (http://slna.ca) meeting last night, which unfortunately I couldn't attend, and on the agenda was supposed to be an update of the status of the First Parliament site (aka, the current Porsche dealership, which I assume will be vacant shortly as the new monstrosity nears completion). Did anyone on here happen to make it? If not hopefully the website will be updated shortly. I'm curious if this is still on track for some sort of historical site before 2012.

Meeting agenda: http://slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/Agenda July 28 2010.pdf

Back